Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what is this common (in Brazil) cheese is in Engligh / how to find it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what is this common (in Brazil) cheese is in Engligh / how to find it?

In Brazil in steakhouses / BBQ places it is common to find a cheese that is grilled on the skewer and it is delicious, photo for reference:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 16.28.54.png Views:	11 Size:	573.0 KB ID:	859557

I know I'm not giving too much information, but I only know what I used to ate growing up there. They are called "cabacinha" cheese or in Portuguese "queijo cabacinha". Does anyone know how to find these in the US? Any idea of a similar cheese?
    Last edited by fcy; June 9, 2020, 05:50 PM. Reason: added cheese name

Espetinhos de Queijo de Coalho?

Comment

• fcy
      fcy commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a link to buy them online there 🤤! Thank you

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      you're my new hero... that cheesemart link in that recipe has halloumi at half the price what I pay here! And there's almost any cheese type you can think of!

• fcy
      fcy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that cheese place is amazing. The only problem for me is that I'm so far away that the only shipping available is by air $$$, I'll buy there again every time I miss queijo coalho enough to justify the shipping costs.

Wish I knew, but you have piqued my interest. I love cheese and this appeals to me.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Well apparently it’s a cheese curd. Green Bay... Brazil... close.

I'm always down for more grilling cheeses. I LOVE halloumi and recently discovered queso panela. I'm trying to build a unicorn list of grillable cheeses so if on the off chance I see them at the store I can buy 'em up

Comment

• fcy
      fcy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to keep my eye opens for halloumi around here (or get it next time I purchase from the Wisconsin cheese place). Anything special you do or just grill it?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      I've smoked it, grilled it, and pan fried it in bacon grease... all work great. If smoking it, you get less time to form a crust so need a very hot surface for a short amount of time for that method. Grilling and pan frying is roughly 3-5 minutes per side depending on temp and thickness of slices. All methods yield an amazingly squeaky bite

One of my best friends married a Brazilian girl, so I sent them the pic last night and asked their thoughts. She thinks the cheese in your pic is actually provolone, and sent this link re: "queijo coalho" which is what MBMorgan mentioned above, I guess its the more popular one:

https://www.sunnysidecircus.com/coun...queijo-coalho/

Unfortunately no help on how to find it...

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      The serious eats post MBMorgan posted has a link to a Wisconsin cheese place, that place has almost any cheese I can think of and after shipping is even cheaper than my local grocery store for the hard to find grilling cheeses I've fallen in love with so far!

FishTalesNC Your friends are correct. It’s a hybrid fresh cheese, something between a mozzarella and a provolone.

fcy The cheese you are looking for is a type of "pasta filata", or stretchy fiber cheeses. "Queijo Cabacinha", translates to gourd cheese from Portuguese. It’s name derives from the bottle gourd shape that cheese maker’s give to it, prior to setting it aside to ripen. I don’t want to sound contradictory about this next part, I did mention it’s a fresh cheese, but in this particular case, it’s allowed to mature for a few days, to ripen or cure. This step is critical, as essential bacteria’s transform the mozzarella type cheese into Quejio Cabacinha, giving it it’s taste while reducing internal moisture content. This cheese is a type of mozzarella, but allowed to ripen towards a provolone, and shaped like the Italian Caciocavallo, just like a bottle gourd. They usually tie 2 queijo cabacinha’s together with a twine rope about a foot long, and hung on a wooden peg to ripen. I believe it has some lipase in it, which gives it a bit of that piquant taste; however, not as much as provolone cheese.

As far as "Queijo Coalho", that translates as Curd Cheese. Also a pasta filata fresh cheese, but very different than the "Queijo Cabacinha". Not the same.

I would suggest you try locating in Costco a cheese called "Queso Blanco", which is a fresh white farmers cheese from cow’s milk, made in Wisconsin and marketed under the label of Caribe, which means Caribbean Cheese. Sam’s Club and some Walmart’s carry a similar Queso Blanco, labeled "Queso El Viajero" or traveler cheese. Not sure why it’s got than name. By the way, these are not expensive at all, particularly when compared to any other Costco or Sam’s cheese selections.

Both of these fresh pasta filata cheeses are similar to the Brazilian "Queijo Coalho", but with a tad more water content. In any case, give those a try. These are excellent for cooking or frying. Somewhat similar to Halloumi. I would not grill them on an open grate over hot coals nor direct fire, unless it’s labeled as "Para Freír" or for frying. It’s got less H2O content. Highly recommend you use a griddle to cook these, it’s a pairing made in heaven.

Cut a piece of Queso Blanco about the size of a playing card, and as thick as about half a deck. Let it get close to room temperature before you cook it. If you place it straight from the fridge on a hot skillet or griddle, you are going to have a detachment. The surface in direct contact will overcook, and the cold part will met and slide away. You don’t want that. If your griddle is cured, you won’t need any oil. If needed or desired, one or two drops of canola or vegetable oil is enough, EVOO is fine too. As you mentioned, these make an excellent accompaniment to BBQ, but don’t pass on a simple grilled cheese sandwich made with the steps I mentioned, it’s out of this world.

If you allow it to be closer to room temperature, then griddle it, you will be fine. Brown it till it looks like a well done biscuit or like that last Ore-Ida tater tot in the fryer. Ok to flip... it is usually done just once. Don’t deep fry it, griddle it. Some do deep fry, but then you run the chance of ending up with a less pleasant presentation.

Another source would be a Latin market near you. I would ask for Queijo first, it not available, then go for the queso blanco. See if you can find "para freír" or for frying. I’m pretty sure you should be able to find this with much more ease than what may appear at first. I’m in Florida and fortunately for us, these cheeses are available and are relatively speaking, easy to find.

Cheers,
    Ricardo

Comment

• fcy
      fcy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm blown away by how much you know about cheese! I'll need to read through this and take notes to fully grasp all that information, this is awesome! Thank you

Update everyone, the Queijo Coalho from the Wisconsin Cheese Mart turned out great! I just had to put a tiny bit of oil so it doesn't stuck to the grate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2720.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	863144

Comment

I'm also finding something in my local area called "bread cheese" that is grilled or baked. It's all cheese, not something with bread in it.

Here's one source -- https://carrvalleycheese.com/product.../bread-cheese/

Comment

I got my order in today from Wisconsin Cheese Mart as well (thanks for emptying my piggy bank MBMorgan ). They had a few things I wanted to try and I wanted to get the $50 minimum for free shipping. The big score was the halloumi at half what I pay in store locally. There is a Greek place on Raleigh I can get it for 6 bones a pack, but thats 3 hours driving... I ordered earlier in the week but you can schedule delivery, so today was the day. Arrived well packed and both ice packs still very cool despite the hot 30ish hour trip it had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0620201231.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.07 MB ID:	865938

Cheesemart Halloumi on the left $7.50 each, Harris Teeter stuff on the right with price tag

Click image for larger version  Name:	0620201233.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	865939
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; June 20, 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• fcy
          fcy commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! That garlic bread cheese seems interesting. MBMorgan did break my piggy bank with that link too, specially because I'm too far away and I had to get it delivered by air. I'll have to look for those locally or wait until the cheese-mart-piggy-bank is full again.

I would recommend giving "Queso Blanco" a try. These are very easy to find. Look for them at Costco, Walmart, Sam’s Club, any large supermarket chain like Publix, and/or your local Latin food mart.

Queso Blanco, translates to White Cheese, is a type of fresh "pasta filata" farmers cheese, usually prepared from fresh whole milk, a cheese culture for taste, and some rennet to make the curd, or "coalho".

They are good quality products, and at least in my neck of the woods, pretty reasonably priced.

Here is a photo of 3 different types that we happen to have at home just now. The Caribe is from Costco, it sells for about $7-$8 for 2 blocks - twin pack, each block weighs about a pound. The Tropical is from Sam’s, it’s about $9 for 2.5 lbs, and the Ole is from Publix, that’s about $5 for 3/4 lbs.

An easy way to prep them is on a non stick pan. No oil required. Just slice and cook till brown, flip only once and enjoy. I went and fixed a few pieces just a few minutes ago. It’s pretty good with just about anything, even on their own.

Cheers,
        Ricardo

Name:	0B5E8251-02EC-4922-975B-536AA987CDD0.jpeg
Views:	400
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	866023

Name:	FDC1F5AB-A6FC-456D-90B6-C7F036F468C9.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	866026

Name:	E2E6CEF4-1AFA-486B-A99B-D118C35622AA.jpeg
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	866024

Name:	0C43CCDE-90E5-488B-BB90-4CA7AD9B035F.jpeg
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	866025

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          I haven't done the coalho yet, but I have done queso blanco and while it was ok grilled on a pan, it does get soft enough to fall through grates. From what I've read it seems coalho is more like halloumi in that you can grill it very hot on grates and it won't fall through?

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct. For grilling, it’s best to locate one with the term "Para Freír". Or for frying. It’s essentially the same; however, it’s got less humidity and a higher pH. It won’t melt. These, on the photo, do melt. Finding "Para Freír" is not difficult at all. Coalho is = to Queso Blanco para Freír, Halloimi is very similar to Coalho, except that it’s a combination of milks (Cow, Pécora or Sheep, and Goat), instead of just cow.
          Last edited by Ricardo; June 20, 2020, 03:04 PM.

• fcy
          fcy commented
          Editing a comment
          I did find Halloumi around here, haven't grilled it yet but pan fried was great. I also liked it "fresh", just cut and eat--I love this texture in cheeses.

I'll keep my eye open for Queso Blanco on my next Costco run. 🤤

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here