Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheddar - My First Homemade Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheddar - My First Homemade Cheese

I decided to try making some cheddar last fall. Couldn't find fresh milk around here but bought some low temp. Pasteurized non-homogenized milk at Whole Foods Market. I don't have a proper "cheese cave" that stays at 50-55* for aging so I aged in my refrigerator in a large Tupperware type container with the lid slightly cracked. I set the cheese on a small plastic flat bottom colander to allow it to breath on the bottom (good thing - 1/8" of water collected in the bottom and would have ruined the cheese). I've basically been forgetting about it ever since putting it in the fridge but dug it out today. I'm happy with how it turned out - nice and crumbly but melts in your mouth. Only complaint is a little bitter after taste. I cut it into 6 wedges and vacuum sealed them.

I used several sources including Gavin Webber's youtube channel (and his recipe except I did not add anatto): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEnifYNnDCA

I bought supplies and used advice from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company: http://www.cheesemaking.com

I plan to make Gavin's Parmesan cheese next.

I didn't think to take pictures until after cutting it into wedges. The cheese cloth/lard covering was uniformly blue-green with mold (no contaminants) and peeled right off. No soft spots either. The initial weight was 4 lb 5 oz. - forgot to weigh it today. I started this on 9/14/19.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3082.JPG Views:	0 Size:	973.2 KB ID:	834169
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3084.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	834170
    Last edited by 58limited; April 18, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Good job Sir. I've been wanting to try my hand at making cheddar but the time it takes has always been a deterrent. Kudos to you on following through.
    So does yours taste similar to normal cheddar or does it a have distinct mature tadte.

Comment

Tastes better than generic store bought but not as good as commercial "craft" cheddar, and not nearly as good as my fave: Cougar Gold from WSU creamery. https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/flavors/

Most of the work is the first day but I pressed it for 20 hours so the second day I had to lard and wrap it. After that it ages and you can forget about it like I did - it only gets better with time.
      Last edited by 58limited; April 18, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

To quote a fellow Pit Member:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Outstanding.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	834191

Comment

Beautiful job. It takes patience to do it right and you did.

Comment

Lookin forward, with breathless anticipation, to th day I can cut my own cheese.

Might have time to try me some, way things're lookin...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 18, 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

That is outstanding!! Never thought to make my own but sure looks good.

Comment

Awesome. I never even imagined making cheese.

Comment

That's great! Glad you have that talent

Comment

OMG! I smoke and age my own cheese, but making it! Now I want some! Do you ship?

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Really cool video too! I never knew!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here