Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread cheese...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread cheese...?

This is a Finnish cheese, known in Finland as juustoleipä. There it is made with reindeer milk, here in the USA it is made with cow’s milk. As best I understand, much of the moisture has been removed, and what is left is a dense, squeaky, salty cheese that doesn’t melt when you grill it in a pan; instead, it softens, and browns up like a burger. Or a piece of toast.

That being said, it’s... okay enough. I mean, I like it, but I’m not ready to rave about it. It’s cheese. It’s warm and crispy. It’s good. Am I missing something?

Stock photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F0B74EC-6C37-476F-8B4D-8C38167A967A.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	797112

I have had a cheese before that is grillable like that, and it was great. Maybe the same thing.worked great in a hash when added towards the end.

Comment

When I was a young man, one of my uncles did a lot of work for the city and county, and part of his pay would sometimes be surplus food. Like those giant cans of pork and beans. Since he had 4 boys (and me) to do the work (stuff like cleaning libraries - try running one of those floor buffers when you only weigh 130 lbs), he occasionally took that form of payment. Sometimes he would get what we called "gubmint cheese". It wasn't what you describe - it was a big block of yellowish something, but it didn't melt either. At all. You could leave it out in the sun on a 100 degree day (we did this experiment - got in more than a little trouble over it too) and it wouldn't melt.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb stop a body up something terrible

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not enjoy that cheese even as a youngster.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Guvmint Cheese, ah, th Memories!

I like it. I also like halloumi and other grillable cheeses.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        HALLOUNI!!! i'm reasonably sure that is the cheese I was talking about in my earlier post!

Was thinking this sounds like halloumi, which is fantastic griddled/grilled.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of the articles on google page 1 compare the two.

Interesting.

Comment

I want to revisit this. I gave it a second try, but this time I bought garlic bread cheese. And this is the hot ticket. Much better. Cube it, then sauté it in butter until it is brown on all sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	804B3513-8B36-4725-B777-C1CEDF9CC5DD.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	832083

Comment

Halloumi and kasseri (oooh saganaki) are in my fridge as we speak. I've grilled a chunk of provolone before for an appetizer. Pretty good but gooey to eat. Who says that's all bad.

This is a good article on grill-worthy cheeses.

Kathryn

Comment

Not grillable but Gjetost from Norway is a unique goat cheese if you are into Scandinavian cheeses. My wife loves it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here