Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheese with cherry smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese with cherry smoke

Good morning All,

building works to extend the house and a busy time at my job have meant I've not been here for a little while and the outdoor cooking has taken a back seat. Treated myself to a little "me time" recently and had my first attempt at cold smoking cheddar on the Kamado. Very pleased with the result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheese1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	568513

Name:	Cheese2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	568514

Name:	Cheese3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	568515

Now vac-packed and resting for a couple of weeks to let the cheese mellow-out.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by PhilM; September 20, 2018, 01:21 AM.

Wow, cherry and cheese. Great late night snack. 0240 CST here in the states. I think I got cheese in the fridge.

Crap no, kids ate it all.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 20, 2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't that always the answer when you have kids??

Nice result.. PhilM

Comment

That looks great. It’s almost time to wip up some more smoked Reaper jack cheese myself.

Comment

Looks good! How long did you smoke it for?

I just did some this week, I pulled 1/2 at 2 hours and 1/2 at 3 hours. Going to do some taste testing and see what everyone likes better after a week or so!

Comment

• PhilM
          PhilM commented
          Editing a comment
          Four hours total smoke time but the smoke generator I use gives a really thin, almost invisible smoke so I knew it would take a while. I'm not a fan of strong smoke. I really prefer just a background flavor. If I can keep the cheese as the leading lady and smoke as the supporting cast, I'm happy.

• Chief1232
          Chief1232 commented
          Editing a comment
          That makes sense! I use a pellet smoke tube and it produces a pretty intense smoke, so I tend to not let it go much past 3 hours.

• PhilM
          PhilM commented
          Editing a comment
          I also find virtually no heat being produced with the light smoke, so no risk of melting the cheese.

What is the pan that you used to put the wood chips in?

Comment

It’s called a ProQ Cold Smoke Generator on Amazon UK. Uses fine wood dust which gently smoulders, producing the light smoke. Various types of wood dust are available. You can see how little dust was used for my 4 hour smoke in the original post, it’s very economical.

Name:	9D86EBD5-A714-4253-AF94-5AFDD8F4BD8F.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	568736

Comment

• jecucolo
            jecucolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks I like the way it works!

Nice. Smoked cheese is the best!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here