Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Smoke Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About this big...smoke around 100lbs a year. That is my humidity and temperature controlled aging fridge in the garage.
    Attached Files

Comment

I prefer doing blocks no less than 8 Oz to prevent melting. There is only so low I can get my electric smoker...so my method is to go as low as I can to just ignite the wood. I have a tray of ice on the rack under the tray of cheese. I found I prefer milder fruit woods for cheeees.

Comment

I had read this post, in the middle of May, got all excited. Thinking about smoked cheese and crackers, and beer, wine, rum and coke, ect. So I purchased a Smoke Chief. attached it to my pellet pooper. did 4 - 8 oz blocks of different types. Vacuum packed. waited about 3 weeks as some of you recommended. last nite we sampled. I'm still excited. YUMMM ! But I have a few questions for those of you that have experience.

1. It's June, very warm outside is it safe to cold smoke cheese 3 hours? I had froze a half gallon water bottle, and put it in the chamber last time, concerned of warm weather, and food safety.
        2. anyone have a favorite? Cheddar? sharp Cheddar? I'm ready to do a bunch.
        3. Expensive or cheep? dose it work well with all cheese? brand?
        4. Size matters? 1 inch thick 3 inch wide by 4 inch long?

Thanks Karon Adams for mentioning this. Every one like the finished product.
        Last edited by randy56; June 23, 2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          As long a smoker temps stay below 75-80°
          Swiss is a fantastic snacking cheese when smoked
          Cheap is fine
          Have smoked them in logs 6x6 before. Took more time in the smoke, as well as time resting. I like 4lb blocks personally.

• Sam6687
          Sam6687 commented
          Editing a comment
          pepper jack is a favorite here, followed closely by mild cheddar. i like the sharp cheddar but the rest of the family likes the mild better for smoking. as long as you can keep the smoker temps below 80 smoke on! i cant keep temps that low this time of year so I smoke cheese in the fall\winter and put in the freezer to get me through the year.

randy56 I've cold smoked cheese several times with a smoke tube and pellets. Somewhere (probably on AR Site) I read to put ice in a foil pan with a grate on top of it then the cheese. That setup seems to keep it from melting. I would recommend turning the cheese over half way thru the process to get a more even smoke profile. Sometimes I've forgotten that step and it's not as even a smoke. I've used all kinds of cheese. Usually 2 hours is enough smoke for our tastes. Mozzarella smoked and then shredded after the 3 week period is great on pizza. Also any Smoked and then Shredded cheese freezes well for me. Sorry if all this has already been posted. Have fun! Try eggs sometime too!

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          ditto on the eggs!

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
        I like smoked cheese. I have been trying a little here and there but not a lot. I have not done anything large. but, I'd love to do so. here's my question:

How deeps will the smoke penetrate cheese? If you bought a large piece, how thick would you want to cut it? would you want it to be thin enough that the smoke would completely penetrate or would you prefer to have a layer of smoke and a part of the cheese remaining unsmoked?

What would you all think would be the ideal thickness for cheese smoked your way and why?
        This comment is way late. Just saw the question about smoke penetration of cheese. I have smoked provolone, mozzarella, sharp cheddar, pepperjack, and colby jack. With all five I did taste tests with friends. I cut slices from the interior but thinly slicing off those surfaces which had been exposed to the smoke. The general consensus, including my own: the smoke flavor was barely if at all detectable. It is the surface that gets the smoke. However, no harm nor foul. Even as one eats through the slices into the interior of the slice unexposed to the smoke, the flavor lingers on the tongue as though it had penetrated.

Comment

I wonder how Karon is doing?

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinkin' the same thing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4604.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1139315 Here are my notes from this years batch:

Got cheese at Sams:
          2 lbs Tillamook extra sharp cheddar = 6 chunks
          4 lbs Tillamook pepper jack = 10 chunks
          2 lbs Hatch green chile = 8 wedges
          2 lbs Havarti = 6 chunks (cut into eigths next time)
          4 lbs gouda = 8 wedges
          Outside temp was 21º. High of 32º while smoking. Pretty windy outside.

Used full tube of apple wood pellets, flamed for 5 minutes, at 9:50 am, I put smoke tube on lower rack of Yoder next to hopper and smoked for 15 minutes with no fans running. Pretty heavy white smoke. Did the 15 minutes, cause last years didn't have quite enough smoke flavor for my tastes. Cheese was on both shelves on top of frog mats. Put softer cheeses on top rack and firmer cheeses on bottom shelf. Turned on fans after 15 minutes and smoked for total of 4 hours (this time included the 15 minutes w/o fan). With fan on, pit ran at 67º and smoke was more of a brown or gray smoke.

A couple YouTube videos recommended allowing the cheese to come to room temp before smoking. Supposedly helps prevent condensation and also allows oil in cheese to come to surface. I didn't do this and I didn't have any condensation when I took off cheese.

When 4 hours time was up, removed from smoker. Most of tube was burned up, but there was still a few pellets left in tube. Put smoked cheese in black and clear ziplock vacuum seal bags, and vacuumed for 45 seconds with a 6 second seal in chamber vacuum.

I'd add a pic, but I get this message when I try: BDE11766-A37E-4D80-9BCA-114B9759EC5E.heic
          Upload failed. You are not allowed to upload files with the extension heic.
          Last edited by Dr ROK; December 8, 2021, 03:10 PM. Reason: Added pic

Comment

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            @ Dr ROK first thanks for the post. That's a lot of cheese, good for you. Are you now allowing the cheeses to age in refrigeration? If so, for how long?

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            RustyHaines I'm making this for xmas gifts. I allow it to age at least in fridge for at least two weeks to mellow in flavor, but it's even better after a year or so.

Still wonderin.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Life has impacted Karon. Just got off the phone, still into cooking, not BBQ so much. I offered Pitmaster regards!

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
          I'd add a pic, but I get this message when I try: BDE11766-A37E-4D80-9BCA-114B9759EC5E.heic
          Upload failed. You are not allowed to upload files with the extension heic.
          Doubtful that .heic is supported by vBulletin. Here's an article about converting to something more likely to be compatible: https://backlightblog.com/iphone-heic-to-jpg

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here