Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my-cheese-"problem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cheese "problem"

Yeah, I know you shouldn’t store cheese in plastic wrap. I haven’t had any problems yet. If I do,I’ll change.

Actually I don’t think it’s a cheese problem. It’s a time problem. As in, I don’t have enough time to eat all this cheese. And it’s just me and Mrs, and she’ll eat the American slices, and the Swiss and the mozzarella. But she won’t touch the aged cheddars, the Beemster, the Challerhocker, the cotija, the aged provolone, etc. I’ve actually finished off the Carolina Reaper cheddar, the mimolette, the Gorgonzola, and the Emmenthaler. And I have a bag of shredded cheese somewhere that didn’t make the photo.

What happens is, I’ll finish that big block of 5 year cheddar in front of the Cabot, I’ll get almost done with the Cabot and open the Old Croc to compare, forget that I have that Balderson, and be in the cheese section of the store and buy more cheese.

I shouldn’t be allowed to get more cheese until all this is gone. I guess I have MChS!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FBFEBEE6-DDB0-4BD7-9492-7A2CB405877A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	1171305
    Last edited by Mosca; February 7, 2022, 03:21 PM.

Wow that's a lot of cheese!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      MChS.

I'll gladly make my whey over and help you out. I'd be in my emmental.... Um that should read element.
    I love cheeses, but all the fancy ones are sooo expensive here. I do treat myself every do often.

Comment

I think I have more cheese than that in my cheese drawer.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        We also have a cheese drawer in our refrigerator

Did someone say…
      Click image for larger version

Name:	806B0A7A-2CBD-4196-8E9B-1AD323EABBD6.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	1171345

Comment

Sooo - I'm guessing you are a Packers fan even though you are in PA...

Comment

I'm not quite that bad. Not quite.

My trick is using, say Pecorino, thinking "Oh, we're almost out of Pecorino", and then buying another wedge next time we go shopping. Repeat, often several times until I get it through my thick skull that I now have 3 unopened wedges of Pecorino in addition to the hunk of cheese we've been almost out of for three weeks.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Ohh hell that happens with lots of things any more. But yeah,I’ve done that with cheese, too.

If MChS is a thing then I definitely have it too. In my case, spouse actually shares the affliction...so we are more likely to consume, but the buying can really get out of hand.

Fortunately we also have friends who like cheese to varying degrees, so when we accumulate enough it becomes an excuse to have a party. But then of course if we're having a party there needs to be bbq..

Comment

Would you like some wine with that?

Comment

My wife swears this is the same problem I have with golf clubs. Maybe I'll tell her they are cheese slicers....

Comment

Bet some of those big blocks have some older expiration dates on 'em. When was the last time you cut that cheese?

Comment

Wow man you have issues. You know they have therapists and drugs for such conditions right?

My suggestion is to learn how to better slice the cheese then cut it.........

Comment

I love cheese too! But lately it doesn't love me (lactose intolerance thing that has come up the past couple of years). I have to limit my dairy to avoid a stomach ache...

I have this issue with spices, with a count of more than 100 bottles in the pantry last summer. I've sworn off all but the basics until I deplete a lot of it, and am starting to look for substitutes when I come across a new recipe that needs a spice I don't already have.

I've also sworn off buying the super large spice containers at Sam's Club and Costco, as I only get about 1/2 through most of them before they are clumped up solid for stuff like onion and garlic powder. In fact, we ran out of ground pepper, and I ordered a couple of flat packs (fine and course) from The Spice House, and think I will start buying that way in the future, as they take much less room.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; February 7, 2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                      ssandy_561 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I live 20 minutes from Walnut Creek Cheese. They have an aisle in there store with just bulk spices. I have a dedicated cupboard by my sink that has all my spice bottles and blends in it and one dedicated shelf in my pantry for all the bulk spice containers that fill my spice bottles. I have a problem too.

Weird Al has a parody about what that much cheese can do:

Comment

Have you met the Rancho Gordo bean junkies here in the Pit? They may know of a support group that could help you.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You nailed it.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here