Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Queso with Real Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Transistors
    replied
    Watched a newly released Chuds BBQ YouTube video yesterday of him smoking real cheese for Brisket Smoked Mac And Cheese. Looked fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Sodium citrate is the secret ingredient to make it smooth. I would worry about using potassium citrate, too much could be bad from what I hear.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Thank you, this looks great! I love American cheese but I am not a Velveeta fan, it is different in a slimier, runnier, worse way IMO.

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    replied
    JoeSousa , thanks for sharing this recipe, I will definitely give this a try. I am wondering if potassium citrate would work in place of sodium citrate, since they are often used together or interchangeably for buffering acidic solutions like soft drinks.

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    commented on 's reply
    Haha, cheese food. Yeah, I like McRib, too, sad to say.
    Last edited by HotSun; August 26, 2022, 06:41 AM.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Bkhuna that is so wrong lol

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Velveeta is to cheese what Rosie O'Donnell is to woman.

• klflowers
    replied
    My wife loves Velveeta so we always have a big block of it in the fridge. Since I am not sure what cheese food is, I tend to avoid it. Of course, I like a good McRib, so who am I to criticize Velveeta...

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Real Cheese . . . must be up grade from Velveeta.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Took the lazy way out and added a block of EasyMelt (HEB's store version of American Cheese) and it cut the salt enough for me - I know that defeats the purpose of using real cheese but this has over 1000gm real cheese in it so I'm happy and it is good. I also added an extra can of Rotels but ended up adding some milk because it was too thick: chips kept breaking. Ended up with 4 quarts for the freezer which is great, pre-made dip for holiday gatherings. Thanks for posting this recipe!

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    It turns out there's another ingredient to add if you want it to firm up more: https://blog.modernistpantry.com/wtf...metaphosphate/

That's about a 12 minute video but the upshot is that you want to use about 3% (by cheese weight) of sodium citrate and about 0.1% of the sodium hex. The latter produces a firmer finished product so you would NOT use it for a queso.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Refrigerate and use a delislicer

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    Google making cheese slices or Velveeta. It's just a matter of getting the ratio right. Here's a site I reference frequently.
    Sodium citrate is the perfect ingredient to turn any cheese into a super-melty cheese sauce, fondue or soup. Even aged cheddar can be melted like Velveeta!

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Adding tasso probably didn't help things in the salt department. Simple fix, I'll add more cheese.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Using cheese instead of (cant bring myself to mention the V word) is a game changer.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here