Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Queso with Real Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Bkhuna that is so wrong lol

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Velveeta is to cheese what Rosie O'Donnell is to woman.

• klflowers
    replied
    My wife loves Velveeta so we always have a big block of it in the fridge. Since I am not sure what cheese food is, I tend to avoid it. Of course, I like a good McRib, so who am I to criticize Velveeta...

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Real Cheese . . . must be up grade from Velveeta.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Took the lazy way out and added a block of EasyMelt (HEB's store version of American Cheese) and it cut the salt enough for me - I know that defeats the purpose of using real cheese but this has over 1000gm real cheese in it so I'm happy and it is good. I also added an extra can of Rotels but ended up adding some milk because it was too thick: chips kept breaking. Ended up with 4 quarts for the freezer which is great, pre-made dip for holiday gatherings. Thanks for posting this recipe!

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    It turns out there's another ingredient to add if you want it to firm up more: https://blog.modernistpantry.com/wtf...metaphosphate/

That's about a 12 minute video but the upshot is that you want to use about 3% (by cheese weight) of sodium citrate and about 0.1% of the sodium hex. The latter produces a firmer finished product so you would NOT use it for a queso.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Refrigerate and use a delislicer

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    Google making cheese slices or Velveeta. It's just a matter of getting the ratio right. Here's a site I reference frequently.
    https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/...sodium-citrate

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Adding tasso probably didn't help things in the salt department. Simple fix, I'll add more cheese.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Using cheese instead of (cant bring myself to mention the V word) is a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    It does somewhat set up at room temp??? Guessing if you were to dump it on some parchment on a sheet pan, spread it thin, and put it in the fridge it could make some great faux American cheese??? It does set up fairly firm in the fridge.

Here is a recipe I found that uses sodium citrate to make American slices: https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/gril...our-socks-off/ Pretty similar to the queso, just different ratios.

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    58limited It can be on the salty side. The sodium citrate does add quite a bit of saltiness.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Hmm. I've been thinking of making my own 'American cheese' by using sodium citrate and sharp cheddar, etc. Does this set up at room temp? If not, would simply dropping the water do that I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Just tried it (and burned my mouth) and it is sooo good. A bit salty (from the rub? I added 1T Salt Lick and 1T Salt Grass 7, or maybe the sodium citrate adds some salt plus the Tasso is salty and maybe some came from the beef ribs)) but it is oh so good! And rich!
    Last edited by 58limited; November 21, 2020, 09:12 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    all the things I see around here that I add to my "to do list" and you go and make a post that gets added to my "wife said I will do list"

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo