Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Queso with Real Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    It does somewhat set up at room temp??? Guessing if you were to dump it on some parchment on a sheet pan, spread it thin, and put it in the fridge it could make some great faux American cheese??? It does set up fairly firm in the fridge.

Here is a recipe I found that uses sodium citrate to make American slices: https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/gril...our-socks-off/ Pretty similar to the queso, just different ratios.

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    58limited It can be on the salty side. The sodium citrate does add quite a bit of saltiness.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Hmm. I've been thinking of making my own 'American cheese' by using sodium citrate and sharp cheddar, etc. Does this set up at room temp? If not, would simply dropping the water do that I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Just tried it (and burned my mouth) and it is sooo good. A bit salty (from the rub? I added 1T Salt Lick and 1T Salt Grass 7, or maybe the sodium citrate adds some salt plus the Tasso is salty and maybe some came from the beef ribs)) but it is oh so good! And rich!
    Last edited by 58limited; November 21, 2020, 09:12 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    all the things I see around here that I add to my "to do list" and you go and make a post that gets added to my "wife said I will do list"

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Finally made this today as I was smoking some pastrami on the KBQ so the temps were lower - about 225*

For the meat I used leftover beef Dino rib meat and a 5 oz. piece of homemade tasso. Also added 4 hot Hatch chilis. Here it is as I pulled it off the KBQ (I tasted it and it has enough smoke) and it will finish in the oven.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked_queso.jpg Views:	12 Size:	5.09 MB ID:	943442
    Last edited by 58limited; November 21, 2020, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    JoeSousa What planted th idea was my love of beer cheese soup, but yup, even cider might be a nice combo, as well...
    Loves me some Angry Orchard Green Apple, every now an again...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 20, 2020, 06:29 PM.

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones Never thought about using beer in this. That would definitely be good. Apples are great dunked in regular queso so I would think a nice hard cider could be good as well.

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    That looks delicious, Brother!!!

Thanks fer sharin with us, I'll be makin this sooner, rather than later...

I so LOVE that ya used th real cheeses....I likeys Velveeta jus fine, but usin th real cheeses opens up countless other doors to Flavourtown!!!!

I might make it straight offa th rack, first run, but I already wanna sub Guinness, or broth...(I never hardly use water as an ingredient, jus a cookin medium... )

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    BFlynn Just to make things even do you have any salmon or apple tips for me?

• BFlynn
    replied
    That looks great! I feel a little bad getting queso tips from someone in Washington. They're gonna kick me out of Texas.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Awesome. Since I have tried sodium citrate I don't think I could do it any other way. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    Since it is so rich it would be perfect for a party snack as a dip or something like that. Not sure this is what you would want to drench your nachos in (although I did that) but having out on a snack table would be great.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    If you like the taste of Velveeta, try adding some freshly grated Muenster or Gruyere. Both melt well and will take the Velveeta up a notch.

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx - always lookin for a smokey party snack.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here