Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe: Nacho Crunch Burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe: Nacho Crunch Burger

Nacho Crunch Burger

This burger recipe is my take on a wonderful burger inspired by River City Cafe in Surfside Beach, SC (just S. of Myrtle Beach). They have several locations in the area but I only ever visited the Surfside one.

Serves
    Depends on how much ground beef you start with and how many patties you make. For 1/2lb patties you'll of course get 2 burgers per lb/meat.

Takes
    1 hr

Serve with
    Fries, coleslaw, any burger side you like

Special tools
    Grill, griddle, or skillet- whatever you want to cook your burger patties on

Ingredients
    Ground beef, 80/20 or 75/25 mix is best
    Brioche buns
    Nacho Cheese Doritos
    Pepper jack cheese slices (1-2 each patty)
    Fresh jalapenos (or jarred pickled ones are fine too)
    Fresh tomato slices
    Leaf lettuce
    Chipotle mayo (or regular mayo)
    Guacamole
    Butter

Method

Prep:
    Loosely patty your burger patties (using 80/20 or 75/25 ground beef) into roughly 1/2lb patties, thin and wide is better.
    Season them with your favorite burger seasoning, salt & pepper is fine here too. I prefer Heaven Made Products' "Neaux Bay" or "Wimpy Cajun" here.
    Slice fresh jalapenos into rings and remove all seeds. Plan 4 rings for each burger, more if you like a bit more kick.
    Slice tomato into your preference of thickness, 1 slice for each burger.
    Butter insides of brioche bun halves well

Cook:
    These burgers are best grilled with minimal or no smoke, such as on a griddle or skillet. A pellet cooker works too. You may find a charcoal grill or smoker to be too much in this particular recipe so I don't recommend it.
    Grill patties to preferred doneness. For safety we recommend 160*F internal, but there are safe ways to cook ground meats lower than this if you must.
    While patties are cooking, toast the insides of the buttered buns. You can use you oven broiler (watch them like a hawk!) or you can use your griddle or skillet. Toast to a medium golden. Don't skip toasting the buns.
    When burger patties are finished, add 1-2 slices (depending on your love of cheese) of pepper jack cheese to each patty. Do this immediately after they're done cooking but still hot. You want it to melt some but not get runny and drip off.

Assemble:
    Build your burger by first putting a modest amount of guacamole on the inside of the toasted bottom bun.
    Next place the 4 jalapeno rings on the bottom bun in the guac. (more or less to taste)
    Next place your burger patty on the jalapenos and guac.
    Next put a healthy amount of chipotle (or regular) mayo on the burger patty.
    Add the slice of tomato then the leaf lettuce.
    Lastly, add a big handful of Nacho Cheese Doritos.
    Place the top buttered & toasted bun in place, and press it a little to seat it. Some Doritos will fall of, some will crumble, it's expected and it's ok!

Note: If you don't like mayo, guac, or tomato...well, they are there to add moisture and make the finished product moist and delicious, and depending on your hatred of any of them they are not easily detectable in the mix of things.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG7294 (3).jpg Views:	238 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	1216780

I’m going to have to try it with venison, yessir.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Be sure to not skimp the moisture ingredients when using venison. They're so good my mom & dad, who are NOT adventurous with food, love them.

This looks amazing, and I'm gonna give it a whirl next time I grill burgers for sure!

Comment

I'm doing a burger for lunch so I'll give it a try. You don't even need a side cuz you put the side inside!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Put the Doritos over to the right or left, then you'll have the side on the side inside.

This looks REALLY good and gave me an idea. I am going to crush those Doritos, dice some jalapeños and put them in the patty - smash burger style. I will report back.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll lose the "crunch" factor of the Doritos on top, but hey it'll still be mighty tasty!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no Huskee - I'm putting some on top too!

Pretty dang tasty! I haven't had a Dorito in years so this was fun. Plus, I now have most of a bag of Doritos in the pantry, win-win!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I needed the chips and a lifeless, tasteless tomato but was going to the market anyway.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        And I won't BS you, I was munching on those chips while I was making my burger! Soooo good!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        "Lifeless, tasteless tomato", lol yep! That's the off-season grocery store tomato for sure, whether it's CA or MI we all get the same.

Wowzers. That looks and sounds awesome. I’m gonna have a lot of time off work coming up, will go into more detail later on that. And will absolutely trying this out.
      Thanks for making me really hungry Huskee 😂

Wait a minute. I have 2 1/2lb jalapeño, pepper Jack burgers in my freezer. Guess what I’m making this weekend. 🙌🙌
      Click image for larger version

Name:	9F43C48E-805F-4540-80A0-964B2FB38789.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1216935
      Last edited by Steve B; May 5, 2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

OK Huskee - this was a home run! I was going to thaw a steak out today for a Cinco de Mayo fajita. However, I saw your recipe and changed directions. It was delicious. I mixed the Doritos in the meat and topped it with Doritos. I also beer battered my jalapeños because I didn't put bacon on it. My only mistake was bringing it in the house to dress it. If I had done the buns before the cheese would have stayed on the burger for a better photo. Who cares - the melted cheese on the bun was just as good. The Doritos gave it an awesome crunch and flavor. Thanks again Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7429.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.55 MB ID:	1217030 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	1217031 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7431.jpg Views:	0 Size:	500.1 KB ID:	1217029
        Last edited by tbob4; May 5, 2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          High school kid food, Love it!!!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Very cool glad you liked it!

Edit- my wife reminded me the mayo is supposed to be chipotle mayo. Oops! Well, until I can get her recipe for chipotle mayo to add here you can use regular just fine.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s OK - the jalapeños in the recipe didn’t make me think I missed out.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 yeah there's so much going on here that one little detail like that won't be greatly missed. Especially if you season the patty well and use a good amount of jalapenos.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I definitely used a good amount of jalapenos. Don't ask how I know...

Looks fantastic. I'd add more jalapeños, and use Paqui haunted ghost pepper chips!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          How the hell do you keep from spontaneously bursting into flames?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike I put the flames out with plenty of bourbon.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha, most folks don't know that ethanol is the key ingredient in fire extinguishers!!

I’ve been putting Doritos on burgers since there have been Doritos and burgers. I also put them on hoagies (subs, grinders, etc).

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I had never thought about it before. Sure was good. I was going to add Funions, too. However, my wife ate them.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I think they're good in a PB&J sammie, too.

Kathryn

Welp. Here’s my take on your recipe Huskee Started with that jalapeño pepper Jack burger and made a quick scratch guacamole. Also added some diced red onion to the mix. And used Doritos Flaming hot chips. Why skimp there. 😁
        I think I went a bit overboard with everything as I needed both hands and about 15 napkins to get er done Click image for larger version

Name:	2DD64AEB-E309-4D46-9DAD-E0DD62418F99.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1217446 Click image for larger version

Name:	96AEEB96-FA0E-4FA1-85A9-B54827187A09.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1217445 Click image for larger version

Name:	B5D8DD64-8324-4948-A476-5CFD29A5720A.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1217443 Click image for larger version

Name:	E8CA9EED-FE95-4634-B77D-7097F8D73104.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1217444

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I hope you liked it. I have another I'm working on with mac 'n cheese and Flamin' Hot Cheetos. TBA....

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Flaming Hot Doritos have quite the kick.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - that is a good idea. I have done mac and cheese with chips on the top. Sometimes it is too salty - really depends on the chip. I think the Cheetos would be delicious. I haven’t tried that combo. With that said - I have no idea why it never occurred to me to put chips on/in a burger. I really liked it.

Thanks Huskee I have been looking for a new burger recipe. I will give this a try for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here