Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my-smashburger-"secret-sauce"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Smashburger "secret sauce"

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB0F371B-D718-41BB-AAF9-ED00513DAA5B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	510.7 KB ID:	1172853 Click image for larger version  Name:	73D7B473-E956-4DB3-B5CC-187D315A6FE8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	1172855 Click image for larger version  Name:	DB6C2C4A-93C2-4719-9A6F-BC767B1F1FA9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1172854 Balthazar is a French bistro in NYC that I’ve enjoyed for twenty years. I’ve had their cookbook for close to that time. It’s very good - every recipe is a winner.

Anyway, they have a sauce for steak tartare that I thought would be great on burgers. It is PHENOMENAL! I make two changes. 1) Dukes instead of home made Mayo. 2) I use the Caribbean El Yucateco instead of Tabasco - more heat and better flavor. Mix the ingredients w 1cup of Mayo.

Now, in the past I’ve really liked MH’s Glop. And guess what? They are very very similar. Let me know if you try it. BTWs, excellent on fries.
    Last edited by JCBBQ; February 10, 2022, 08:10 AM.

Thanks for posting. Homemade (we grind the beef) Cheeseburgers are a staple around the house. I will give this a try next time.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple years ago I started grinding my own meat. My burger game went off the charts bc of that. Sooooo much better.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      Freshly grinding your own meat is a game changer for sure. I started doing it a little over a year ago.

This looks really good and I like your riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	FB0F371B-D718-41BB-AAF9-ED00513DAA5B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	510.7 KB ID:	1172853 Click image for larger version Name:	73D7B473-E956-4DB3-B5CC-187D315A6FE8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	1172855 Click image for larger version Name:	DB6C2C4A-93C2-4719-9A6F-BC767B1F1FA9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1172854 Balthazar is a French bistro in NYC that I’ve enjoyed for twenty years. I’ve had their cookbook for close to that time. It’s very good - every recipe is a winner.

Anyway, they have a sauce for steak tartare that I thought would be great on burgers. It is PHENOMENAL! I make two changes. 1) Dukes instead of home made Mayo. 2) I use the Caribbean El Yucateco instead of Tabasco - more heat and better flavor. Mix the ingredients w 1cup of Mayo.

Now, in the past I’ve really liked MH’s Glop. And guess what? They are very very similar. Let me know if you try it. BTWs, excellent on fries.
      I'm thinking that this would work in my meatloaf mix

Comment

TripleB
        If you have access to picanha, I highly recommend it for burgers. I usually cut off the fat cap, grind some into the meat and then make beef love w the rest. Beef love is great for smashing burgers on the griddle. Click image for larger version

Name:	03E6DFC1-B671-4EE0-B828-87AEFD5F194D.jpeg
Views:	1205
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	1172904

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          No, Picanha is not a cut in my local supermarket and I don't have a butcher shop around me. It is a cut that someday I will find and try. For us, just good old chuck roast and occasionally a Tri-tip.

• McFlyfi
          McFlyfi commented
          Editing a comment
          Wild Fork has picanha, and at a surprisingly reasonable price- Choice at $8.98lb. I've got one in the freezer for either Saturday or Sunday
          If you pay $2.04 per month for a membership, you can get free delivery on over $50.00 orders.
          I am about to discontinue my membership as they opened a retail store a couple of miles from me.

Cool stuff. I wonder how adding a teensy bit of fish sauce would work in this...

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll try it next time. Good idea

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          A bit of fish sauce is an excellent touch!

Looks great! I will try this with my steak sammies on Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks for sharing.

Also.....plus one on the El Yucateca, that stuff is great.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you try this w those sammies?

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          YES!!!! and it is amazing. A staple from now on! JCBBQ

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          💪💪💪

What size patties to you like best for making Smash Burgers?

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I might even go a little smaller 2.5oz. X 2.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Kenji recommends two 2-inch patties with a slice of cheese in the middle to hold them together. I've only made them once and went with 4 ounce; they were good, but next time, I'll definitely go smaller.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          We have settled on 3.3oz patties, we usually do 2 patties with 2 slices of American cheese.

Thanks. We use a Blackstone as hot as possible . . . and we like the 2.5 - 3 oz size as well. nice char on the outside but pink inside. I think some people make the mistake of making the balls too big.

Comment

• wag
          wag commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeap I'm one ---- been doing about 5 oz. Gonna try the 3 oz. next time. So divide 1 lb. into 6 balls instead of 3 like I was and 2x the paddies / smash burger. Thanks

Hey JCBBQ I think it's time for another video of you teaching us how to roll our balls and smash them. Please, I so enjoyed the first video.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂😂😭😭 Literally LOLed

smash burger sliders are excellent . . .and popular at parties as easy finger food. We served them at a graduation open house and at a charity event, and they were really well received. Ours our Wagyu, so they are a bit different than what most people typically eat. We tell people that they don't need any condiments -- which they don't -- and that makes them even easier to handle.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          So…what size is your smashed slider patty?

Originally posted by Fellers Ranch View Post
        What size patties to you like best for making Smash Burgers?
        I do one 4oz or 5oz burger.

I know everyone does smaller. We have a local diner that does what they call a Hubcap Burger, it’s a smashburger that sticks out of the bun all around.​ I’m not usually hungry enough to do one with 8oz, but I’ll do a 5oz burger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	38F9442D-3EF3-467F-95E0-CC788FD90526.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1298272

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          That's one big burger. Looks great.

Kathryn

Our sliders we do at 2 oz or a bit less.

Comment

I’ve used Duke’s Mayo in burgers ever since reading about it in the Washingtonian. https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/0...erfect-burger/

Total game changer.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            So you mix the Mayo into the meat before cooking?

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Never thought of that. Will have to give it a try.

Duke's mixed into the meat was a game changer for me on regular non-smashed burgers. The additional fat keeps it really moist. I've only tried it on smash burgers once or twice and I think it might inhibit the crust formation and make the patties fall apart more. But it was such a huge improvement on regular burgers that I'm going to keep working on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here