Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gboss kofta kebabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gboss kofta kebabs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1982.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1519479 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1519478

I first encountered kofta in Toronto, Ontario on July 30th 2003 during the "SARS stock" festival. My friends and I had driven up from New York, mainly to see Rush and the Rolling Stones. We had not eaten all day, on account of saving our places near the stage in a 450,000 person crowd and we were quite peckish whilst walking back to the car after the show was over. There were enterprising food vendors set up, and I ordered a "kebab," thinking that I was going to get meat and veggie chunks on a stick. When I was given a pita sandwich with kofta in it, my mind was blown. I had never eaten anything of that flavor before. I've been chasing that first kofta experience ever since. I've since had versions in Turkey, Egypt, Israel, UAE and India, not to mention numerous ethnic restaurants in other countries.

I will make no claim of this recipe's authenticity, however I have been to a number of countries which have their version of Kofta, so I'd like to think I have a decent handle on what a good one tastes like. This is a recipe I put together by combining ingredients and technique from some other recipes. I think it's quite good.

If there is a more appropriate category for this recipe, I would be happy to move it.

Prep time: 30 minutes (longer if you grind the meat yourself)
    Cook time: 15 minutes

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
    1lb ground lamb (80/20 preferred)
    1lb ground beef (also 80/20 preferred)
    1/4 cup almonds
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1/4 cup walnuts
    8 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 medium yellow onion
    1 bunch parsley, washed and de-stemmed
    1 piece of bread (heel or bun is fine)
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tbsp ground coriander
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp ground black pepper
    2 tsp sumac

Step 1: finely chop the nuts in a food processor. You don't want a paste, but they will stick together in clumps from the natural fat. This is fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6811.jpg Views:	65 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	1022456

Step 2: lightly toast the nuts in a skillet, until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside in a separate container.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6814.jpg Views:	63 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1022459

Step 3: put the onion, parsley, and garlic in the food processor and finely mince.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6819.jpg Views:	64 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1022460

Step 4: transfer the finely minced garlic, onion, and parsley into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. press down to squeeze out as much liquid as you can from the mince.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6821.jpg Views:	63 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1022457

Step 5: Toast the bread (optional) and soak the bread in the separated onion liquid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6825.jpg Views:	67 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	1022455

Step 5: Mix together the parsley, garlic, onion and the nuts. Add all the spices. Squeeze out the liquid from the soaked bread as best you can and add to the mix.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6827.jpg Views:	64 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1022458
    Step 6: Mix in the ground beef and the ground lamb until everything is well incorporated. Divide into 8 equal portions and form into balls

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6832.jpg Views:	64 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	1022463

Step 7: Thread the meat onto skewers as balls and then form them out into a cigar shape while on the skewers. Salt the formed skewers slightly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6834.jpg Views:	64 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1022462

Step 8: Grill over high heat until you have good color on the outside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6851.jpg Views:	65 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1022464

Serve with flatbread/pita, fresh veggies (cucumber, radish, lettuce), tahini/hummus/yogurt sauce

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6854.jpg Views:	65 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	1022466
    Last edited by gboss; December 11, 2023, 07:22 PM.

If someone were to ask me my favorite food, hands down it’s kafta. The best I’ve ever had was at a restaurant back in Detroit. It’s probably gone now. I also saw ATK recipe that I have yet to try. But, yers really caught my attention. Man, I really have to try it. I actually have 4 maybe 6 friends who would try it. Dang, you’ve got me worked up. Thanks!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      You've got friends??

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know when and we'll be on our way!

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      The first time I had kofta, it was in Toronto on the day of SARS Stock, walking back to my car after not having eaten all day on account of us saving our place in the crowd for the concert. Rush, AC/DC, and the Rolling Stones got our appetites worked up. There was a roadside vendor selling "kebabs" while we were walking back. Up until that point in my life, that was the most delicious thing I'd put in my mouth. I've been chasing that one ever since. Cheers!

Looks great!

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

How does it pair with PBR?
    Looks almost too good to eat. Yep, it sure does.

Comment

I was hoping you would post the recipe, gboss , ever since I saw your post over on SUWYC. This looks so delicious. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Looks great.

Comment

This sounds great! The first time I ever had a ground meat kebab was maybe 15-20 years ago in a Turkish place in Tempe, AZ. I didn't know kebabs even came in ground meat form, but WOW, what a revelation. I've tried a couple of recipes since then, but they were too bland. This one sounds kick-a$$--lot's of spices and, oh man, the nuts too! Plus, I have the wide skewers that are perfect for ground meats. Gonna try this REAL soon!

THANKS!
        Last edited by Willy; April 26, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone! I'm really looking forward to someone cooking this and reporting back!

Cheers and happy cooking!

Comment

Much obliged to you for sharing this formula. Looks extraordinary.

Comment

I made these and the flavors were WONDERFUL! Alas, mine were a bit too wet and fell apart on the grill, but that seems easy to fix next time. Thanks so much for this recipe! Super tasty!

Comment

Don't know how I missed this one. I LOVE lamb kofta, did them a couple of times and always turned out delicious. Thanks for the great write-up. I especially like making the wraps out of them, great alternative to eating separate. Kudos, I shall save this to Paprika for later use !!!

Comment

I am going to try this this weekend, I think. It looks just, just well, wonderful!!!

What did you use for the yogurt sauce?
                  Last edited by klflowers; June 2, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    klflowers I'd just make up a tzatziki sauce. Lots of recipes on line for that.

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman that works. I didn’t think of that.

Here you go. These were so dang good, thanks for posting. I made some tzatziki per
                  Troutman suggestion, and I had some pickled red onions.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	B92DFCA3-A7BC-4EC1-A8B3-657826A383F4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	1041642
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	654C9A25-F603-4B9F-B336-BA9FAD207882.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	752.0 KB ID:	1041643

Comment

• gboss
                    gboss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    klflowers any feedback on the recipe? Was it easy to follow? Anything you changed or improvised?

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gboss I followed the recipe pretty easily. No changes. I have made them a couple times since.

Thanks, I'll try to repeat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here