Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi Pot Roast

This slow cooker pot roast is probably the easiest and best tasting roast I’ve done. A few years ago someone turned me on to this recipe and I couldn’t believe how tasty it was, for such few ingredients. The ingredients also do not sound like they belong in a pot roast. If you haven’t heard of this recipe before, just trust me on this and don’t add anything else, not even water. The gravy it makes is truly awesome.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Chuck roast 2-3 lbs. or so
    1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing
    1 packet of Au Jus gravy mix
    1 stick of real butter
    4-5 Pepperoncini Peppers (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Place the roast in your slow cooker. Sprinkle the packets of powdered Ranch Dressing and Au Jus gravy mix on top of the roast. Then place the stick of butter on top of the roast. Add your pepperoncini peppers on top, if using them. Cook on low for 8 hours. When done, the roast will be fork tender and fall apart as you lift it out of the slow cooker. At this point if you want more gravy, mix a little flour and cold water in a cup until thick. Add slowly to the gravy and stir constantly until mixed well.

NOTES: 1. You can use any type of roast besides Chuck for this, but that is my preference for this cook.
    2. If the roast is too fatty, I’ll try and remove a little excess fat before cooking, it’ll melt into the gravy.

Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, the gravy is not to be missed.
    P.S. If he’s available, have Troutman plate your dish for the pics, I suck at it. 😂
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 10, 2021, 08:13 AM.

I have a sirloin tip in the freezer with this recipes name on it.
    But boy....that's a lotta butter....

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      S F. There three things that are good to go, butter, garlic & bacon. Think about it.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything is better with butter, everyone knows that !!

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      We make this without the butter, but use a whole jar of sliced pepperoncini with juice. Turns out awesome.

We have made this recipe multiple times. It is very good!

Comment

Trust you? You're actually asking me to trust you!?!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        GolfGeezer Have you tried my smoked platypus?

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John No, I was gonna, but then I traded my plate for a freshly heated C-ration can of Ham & Lima Beans. BTW, I have a chuckie defrosting right now to make an Instant Pot version of Mississippi pot roast. At least I’ll get one cook you’ve posted!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂 Cool! Let me know how ya like it.

Looks Amazing! I did a pot roast just a week ago but with a "traditional " recipe. However I have two chuckies from Porter Road being delivered today. Going to be bitter cold here later in the week. So this version will be on tap for Fri or Sat. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re welcome. Let us know what you think afterwards.

Nice winter time pot roast. Good job.

Comment

My Porter Road order just arrived. I have one of the chuckies defrosting for a few days from now. But I have a question. The gravy is nothing but butter and meat juices? First that’s got to be really rich. Second I am concerned that there won’t be all that much of it. Lastly, why not add a few mushrooms and onions. That would create a little more liquid, cut the richness a bit, and add a little extra substance to it. Thoughts??

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re correct about the gravy being juices and the butter, flavored with the gravy and ranch dressing mix. There will be enough gravy as is, for 4 or 5 servings over rice or mashed potatoes...approximately. Add a little flour/cold water mix for more if you want, at the end of the cook. I have never added anything else, mushrooms or onions, because it’s just so good as is. And yes it is rich, that’s part of the appeal. I don’t make it that often because of that.
          Last edited by Panhead John; February 1, 2021, 05:07 PM.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a suggestion here because I too have thought about adding mushrooms and onions....try it this way first, then add mushrooms/onions next time. You’ll have a way to compare which way you like best.

Here's a link if you need more pics:

Mississippi Pot Roast {The BEST Pot Roast EVER} - Belle of the Kitchen

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks gcdmd Anyone who makes this....I highly recommend sticking to the exact recipe. I know it’s tempting to maybe add water or your favorite vegetables. Try this first, trust me you won’t need to add anything else.

EDIT: After RonB pointed it out to me, this recipe above calls for a half stick of butter. I’ve never made it any way except with a full stick. Most of the recipes I’ve seen call for a full stick.
          Last edited by Panhead John; February 1, 2021, 05:26 PM.

Absolutely one of our faves. I smoke the roast part way, finish in CI or foil pan.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; February 1, 2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup. It looks to me like your "stick" of butter is actually 1/2 cup. Not conplainin' - just pointin' it out.

Comment

I noticed that Ron, after you pointed it out. Most of the other recipes I’ve seen online call for a full stick of butter. I have not checked all of them, but that’s what I was also told from the lady who gave me this recipe originally.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Panhead John; February 1, 2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't notice the difference either. The recipe we use calls for a full stick, but as I said above we often cut that down.

That sounds and looks GUUUUD!

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John , I’ll be trying it soon!

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John , at first it reminded me of an old recipe I’d used LONG before AR. It was 1 - 1 1/2# brisket. Place on foil, top with either dry onion soup or vegetable soup mix, and a can of cream of mushroom soup and closed tightly and cooked at 325. I enjoyed that recipe quite frequently.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              richinlbrg That sounds good! I used to always make my pot roast with cream of mushroom soup, then I switched to Golden Mushroom soup. It seemed to make a better gravy for me. A brisket is great cooked like a roast.

I'm not a huge fan, but my wife likes it, I smoke the chuck for 3-4 hours minimum before chucking it in the instantpot or crockpot though. I have considered rubbing some ribs with ranch powder in the near future and serving with pepperoncini's

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs That sounds crazy doesn’t it? But I bet it would work. I remember when that lady first told me this recipe, I said Ranch Dressing? Really?

Malcom Reed has done this: https://howtobbqright.com/2020/02/28/mississippi-poboy/

Smoking the chuck before adds another level of flavor. I love everything about this dish. Awesome flavor and it is very easy. And of course I won't judge you if you use your oven or crock pot. I have done that many times with this dish.

And if you want another similar but somewhat different dish Jess Pryles has cajun version that is almost as good: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/rice-and-gravy-poboy/

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joe! That Malcom Reed recipe looks like I gotta try it!

I've done similar roast with this recipe and this one is wonderful: https://www.mirlandraskitchen.com/sl...ker-pot-roast/

I'll have to try your version, it sounds pretty great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here