Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever chuck roasts go on sale in my area - about once a month - I usually buy two.

For one, I use the New York Times Mississippi roast recipe (but have switched to doing it in my pressure cooker rather than the crock pot). It's one of my favorite things to make/eat.

With the other roast I usually sous vide it for 48 hours, sear a bit and then smother with chimichurri.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I've settled on 62 minutes. When the timer goes off at the finish I do a few I 62 minutes. When the timer chimes at the finish I finish a few other tasks while it starts to cool, after about 5 minutes or so I do a quick release. Not a lot of stuff in the pot so it is nowhere near full so I'm not worried about foam or anything spewing/clogging.
      If you are more comfortable with a complete natural release you may find that cutting back the time a few minutes would be sufficient cook time.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Histrix and PBCDad , when I make the NYT recipe for Mississippi Pot roast in the Instant Pot, I add in 1 cup boiling water to which I've added 1 tsp of Better than Beef boullion or Williams Sonoma beef demi glace, or 1 cup homemade beef stock, since the IP folks say 1 cup liquid minimum is required for all cooks. 60min High + NPR.

So your Instant Pot works fine with the NYT recipe with no added liquid, Histrix ? I've never tried it that way.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 3, 2021, 08:10 AM.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I don't add any water. There is some liquid in there from searing the roast and the little bit of water from the melting butter and some juice from the pepperoncini. The only drawback to not adding a cup of water or so is that it does take a bit longer for the pressure to be reached and timer started. I've never bothered to keep track of the time to pressure but I'd guess it adds 20-30 minutes to the process.

Panhead John We know that you did NOT cook that. It is NOT on a paper plate! P.S. It looks good, tho.

Comment

Panhead John Well I did this pot roast tonight exactly as your recipe said. Except I omitted the peppers. I didn’t have any, forgot to buy them when I shopped a couple days ago, and was too lazy to run out to get some.

No matter. Wow. Amazing!! Plenty of gravy as you promised too. Very rich though. I can feel my arteries hardening. 😂. Going to be a once in a while thing. Sorry. No pics. We dove right in and I forgot. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great man! I’m glad to hear you liked it. I also sometimes use the peppers and sometimes not, though I do like the peppers in it. If I have em I use em. The peppers are good cooked in there though. For a change of pace, next time I might use a couple of fresh jalapeños. Never have tried em but I bet they’d be good.
        And oh yeah, it’s definitely a once in a while roast. Not too often.
        Last edited by Panhead John; February 4, 2021, 06:25 PM.

Panhead John I Challenge you to make that same dish without using pre-packaged spice packets. I say use your Imagination, do research...Make your own spice packets..I know time is a commodity...But....I think you are here to become a better cook...Therefore....I I think you can make it better by using skills you already have. Are you ready....??...

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        troymeister and Panhead John :
        The New York Times recipe for Mississippi Pot roast does not use the pre-mix powder packets of ranch dressing and au jus. You make your own ranch dressing and skip the au jus.

Kathryn

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I was trying to nudge PJ into not using spice packets. Evidently he is not interested.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Troy, but I really don’t wanna mess up a perfectly good recipe. The last time I tried new concoctions in my lab, 6 of my neighbors got sick 🤒
        And I sure hope everyone knows I was being very sarcastic in my reply to you the other day....which is just below this.

troymeister Are you out of yer mind? 😂 The reason I don’t make my own seasonings to improve upon this is pretty simple. The members here are all pretty much in awe of my culinary skills already. If I was to go into my research lab, that I have here at home, and invent a seasoning recipe even better, I really think a vast majority of the members would just give up and quit. With a substantial portion of them going into a deep depression. I suspect a lot of them are already seeing my pics and going "What the Hell?" "How can I top that?" So to answer your question, I’m not gonna do what you suggested...In order to keep this group of members together......thus avoiding a mass exodus.
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 5, 2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        And by "research lab" he means "I have an Easy Bake oven in my mom's basement, but the light bulb's burned out".

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I'd haveta reckon th bulb's been, demonstrably, 'burned out' fer quite some time, amigo! lol! mnavarre
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 4, 2021, 08:53 PM.

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones ...Ya think?

I did this last year, following Malcom Reed's recipe, which is essentially identical to John's. For me, it just came out really salty. I've intended to make it again, but use only half the ranch packet. It was really good, just very salty.

(https://howtobbqright.com/2020/02/28/mississippi-poboy/)

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you ever make this again, Michael? I saw that Malcolm's TX Rub that he uses has 380mg salt per 2gm serving--wowza. (For comparison, Meathead's beef rub has 260 mg sodium per 2gm serving). That would have done the "too salty" deed right there. Plus there's a bunch more salt in both the Au Jus and the Ranch powder mixes.

I'd like to try Malcolm's approach but use the NYTimes recipe (no prepared mixes) and maybe some Black Ops SPOGOS (200mg sodium per 2gm serving) to dry brine the chuck.

K.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 29, 2021, 07:53 AM.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not yet, but I need to. I like your idea of not using prepared mixes.

We have a similar recipe about once a month. The only variant are that we add a packet of Lipton onion soup mix rather than the Au Jus. Certainly a favorite around here.

Comment

We make this once a month using a whole jar of sliced pepperoncini with juice and omitting the butter. It is one of the favs over mashed potatoes or as sandwiches.

Comment

Going to have to give this a shot here soon

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s really good with fresh green beans, rice and cone bread. (as I like to call it)

Panhead John Made this last night using the Instant Pot recipe version. Basically the same as the slow cooker version except it calls for adding water, but takes only 1.5 hours for searing and cook for 60 minutes, then rest for 10 while thickening gravy. It was delicious! Taters and biscuits - yummmm!

However, as Histrix noted, it really did not need the extra moisture. I ended up with over 2 cups of gravy (recipe adding 1/4 pepperoncini juice and 3/4 cup water) from a 3 lb chuckie. fzxdoc I would definitely try this without adding the extra water/bullion in the Instant Pot. As Histrix noted, the startup may take longer, but with the pepperoncini juice alone, it may actually start as usual or sooner.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to hear! It also makes killer roast beef sandwiches for later.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            The recipe I use (the New York Times one) does not call for pepperoncini juice and water. It's just meat, butter, homemade ranch dressing and the pepperoncini peppers alone, similar to the one Panhead John shared with us. No juice or water.

When I make it in the crockpot, I don't add the cup of broth or bouillon mix, but I do with the Instant Pot.

What recipe did you use?

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; February 9, 2021, 09:58 AM.

I've been making this for a few years now. My favorite part is that it is simple and easy. I always add the pepperoncinis and half a jar of the juice. Leftovers make for great sandwiches with melted cheese of your choice. I like muenster myself with Claussen pickle sandwich slices and dressing the buns with horseradish sauce.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that link, GolfGeezer. I see they add broth like I do to the New York Times recipe that I use. Your recipe also adds some of the pepperoncini juice. I bet that bounces up the flavor.

I'm still interested in trying Histrix 's method of not adding any liquid for a more concentrated flavor when using the IP for Panhead John 's recipe.

This is a fun topic. I'm really enjoying it.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; February 10, 2021, 07:23 AM.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc I’ve never done the roast in a pressure cooker or IP, just a crock pot. I’ve also never added any juices or water, so I can’t compare the different ways. But I can say this, the gravy it makes is tied for my favorite gravy ever. I think I’ll try adding a little of the pepperoncini juice next time, just to see. Glad you like this topic, I think everyone likes a good ol pot roast.
            Last edited by Panhead John; February 10, 2021, 07:38 AM.

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc Yup, they do call for 3/4 cup broth and 1/2 cup pepperoncini juice. I noted in another comment that this produced over 2 cups of liquid for the gravy. I will use just enough broth to deglaze the IP, and the 1/2 cup juice next time - 2+ cups was too much although very tasty! Recipe is definitely a keeper.

Used this recipe for our Sunday Super Bowl meal, added carrots about 2 hours prior to end as suggested. Served with a garden salad, mashed potatoes and good old southern sweet iced tea (with lemon). Wow, what a meal. Without question, this just became my favorite pot roast. Leftovers on Monday were just as good and I substituted rice for the mashed potatoes. This is almost too easy. Thanks for posting this recipe for us.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            lovetogrill Thanks, I’m glad y’all liked it. It really is so easy. Less than 5 minutes and you’re done. (with the prep)
            Last edited by Panhead John; February 10, 2021, 08:23 AM.

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            lovetogrill ah yes another Eastern NC member! I went to school in Wilson (ACC/Barton College) and was a Correctional Officer at Nash Correctional Institution back in 1994. Good to see you here!

When were you at Barton and where in the Triad are you now. You are correct, always good to be in Eastern North Carolina. Born in Rocky Mount and still here after 80 years!

Comment

I have tried this. It's very tasty and yummy!

Comment

I made this the other night. The wife liked it and so did I. The only thing different that I did was salt and pepper it some then sear it on both side in an enamel cast iron pot then placed it in the oven to slow cook. Super simple, the only problem was the cheapest chuck roast I could find was over 7 dollars a pound and that was at Walmart. Over 20 bucks for a less than 3 pound chuck. If you do not like a decent amount of salt then avoid adding any salt if you sear it, the packets will probably have enough for you.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy cow! Over $7.00 per pound for chuck? Crazy. I haven't purchased one in a while. But if they're priced like that here, I'll pass. I see more chicken in my future....

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, $7.99/lb here last time I got one.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                How much is brisket?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here