Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - Remove / Do not Remove the Rib Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib - Remove / Do not Remove the Rib Cap

Getting ready to smoke a Prime Rib for a dinner party this weekend. I've made the Prime Rib recipe from Meathead's book once in the past. It was great! I followed his recipe exactly and removed the Rib Cap, but I was hesitant to do so. Once again, I find myself hesitant...it is a great piece of the Prime Rib. Additionally, its strange because in the photo on Page 249 of the book, it clearly looks like he's left the rib cap on (unless he's left some fat and rolled it into the middle when shaping. So, I'm debating and curious what others have done... The question - Leave it on? Or trim it off? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Very interesting. That looks like the cap is still on. It appears to me, some times the photos don't align with the text.
    May want to ask Meathead.

Comment

Meathead? (Gotta tag the man).

I'd think it's personal preference for the most part.

Comment

I always leave it on. Does it have the potential to be "overcooked" when left on? sure. does that negatively impact the taste? i don't think so. Left on, i believe its the best part of the prime rib even when cooked more than the center and the few times i've had cooked the cap on its own i wouldn't say that i've enjoyed it materially more than a good rib-eye steak. but you have the ribcap so you be the judge. As a sidenote, incredible consistency edge-to-edge on that prime rib. I'd think a 5-10 minute sear on each side would cause a larger gradient.

Comment

I shot that picture before I started removing the cap. I always do now. The cap (spinalis) is the best muscle on the animal and it is easily overcooked. On this page is a video called "The Best Way To Cook Prime Rib" https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...er-beef-roasts
          Last edited by Meathead; December 15, 2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, to render the fat between the eye and cap the cap gets "overcooked".
            Unless you prefer medium-well or well done.

I have been buying great big 7+ rib USDA prime roasts every year around Christmas when HEB puts them on sale. I used to make prime rib roasts with one, removing the bones and smoking them separately. Now all I do is make ribeyes. Some tomahawks and some regular. I leave that fatty tail. I just love ribeye steaks more than I love prime rib.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I do the same but I usually leave a three to four bone portion for prime rib, the rest get cut into thick ribeyes. I love prime rib but only make it once or twice a year.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            fracmeister I believe HEB has them on sale starting tomorrow.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to move to Texas! You guys and your HEB!

Thanks All!!

Comment

I like it both ways! Removing the cap is great, but makes for a smaller and less impressive prime rib cut after. Also unless your cooking for yourself, 99% of others wont understand what the cap is and why its better cooked seperately. So for my next Christmas prime rib, I'll be leaving the cap on and using the reverse sear method to minimize overcooking the cap! Either way...delicious!

Comment

• Foehn Watts
              Foehn Watts commented
              Editing a comment
              I leave the cap on. Even over done (grey) it is usually so well marbled with good stuff that it tastes great.

I have my family put meat leftovers on a plate in the kitchen as we feed the (mostly) fat to the dogs and chickens for a treat. When I go to chop up those lefovers, I will usually find some cap in there and save it out and eat it myself as an early morning snack. Gray or pink it is delicious and gray or pink it is all delicious when briefly rewarmed.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here