Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Your Grandma's Smoked Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's back! Yay! Hope your recovery is going better than expected. Great looking recipe and nice writeup. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Terrific recipe Steve. Also nice to see a meatloaf at this point in time that's NOT wrapped in bacon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bacon, but that wrapping meatloaf with it has become a trendy thing, more than a culinary tweak. I did a cheese and jalapeno stuffed one similar to yours awhile back, posted it on a couple other sites and must have gotten two dozen "suggestions" it would have been better with a bacon wrap. No, it was wonderful just the way it was done (end of rant, thank you).

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you. I'm a lover of crispy bacon, not the soggy rubbery kind. Whenever I bacon wrap it's sort of off-putting to me. It looks good but taste is meh. Anyway, this is a play on Grandma's classic where you slab ketchup all over the outside. Some of the sweet-heat combos that replace it improve on that theme immensely.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        The bacon on my meatloaves (when I do them that way) is usually pretty crisp, done on the PBC at about 290ish. Sometimes I pop them under the broiler for 2 minutes to finish up the crisping process, Troutman .

I use very thin sliced center cut bacon, not thick bacon for both meatloaf and jalapeno poppers.

And not every meatloaf I make is smoked/bacon-covered. Gotta switch it up, don'tcha know.

Kathryn

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Bacon-wrapped everything is more trendy than culinary. To me bacon tastes like breakfast, and while I like bacon, to me it does NOT improve a meatloaf or a burger or fillet minion, or like many out there think- everything it touches. </rant>

Looks great! Please tell us, what exactly is a Cherry Pomegranate Habanero glaze made from!?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't usually make my own (although I grow pomegranates and have done so in the past). There's a company called Fischer & Weiser that has a variety of different ready made sauces that are excellent as glazes. Google them in.

Glad to see ya back Steve. Great looking meat loaf. I'm also wondering if you read Panhead John take on chili and Texas style clam chowder?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Have not read those posts but will if I run across them. Still just kind of easing back in here.

Thanks, @Toutman! Wonder if a blackberry chipotle sauce would work. Have lots of blackberry puree and trying to think of how to use it instead of just ice cubes in drinks or in smoothies. Is that raspberry recipe one of Meathead's or store bought?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Store bought, Fischer & Weiser. They have about 5-6 different varieties. Easier to pop open a bottle my friend. That goes for beer as well !!!!

My Granny made a whole haillluva lotta meatloaves, in her time here on this Earth, never smoked nary a one...

She could smoke Benson an Hedges 100's like a Pro, though...alla th way down to th filter, without ever knockin th ash off...

Don't leave out th Buckhorn Beer, btw...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd Gladly buy both extensive rounds,cook fer em, an worsh their feets, jus to git to meet an experience em...

fzxdoc klflowers

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Mr. Bones. But my mom would be trying to feed you lol. I have never been to her house without her saying sit down here, I know I got something to eat around here.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Moms are Magick, Brother...
        klflowers
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 15, 2020, 04:33 PM.

Did a riff of this last night with what was on hand. All beef, a bit of coriander instead of cilantro, and a jalapeno jelly glaze. It was fantastic!!! Oh, and one little addition:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaf.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	937226

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the ticket !!! I just ate the last slice of mine between two slices of white bread. I may have to have this in the permanent rotation!!

All this talk of meatloaf, I had to throw one down. It did not turn out as well as the one from weeks ago. BF set the grill for me and there was a big chunk of red oak he didn’t see. Poured the charcoal right over. I go out to get the meatloaf on and temping and walk away. I come back to flip and baste.......🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♠€ï¸

short story: I created meatloaf burnt ends

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes !!

Wow, that is one expensive meatloaf. I'd be happy to eat it at your house

Comment

Nice looking recipe.

If you have room in the freezer, make up 10 lbs at a time, and freeze it in disposable foil pans. Throw it on the smoker frozen for a most excellent dinner

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here