Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another pastrami cheater!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another pastrami cheater!

First time sharing a note from evernote. Hope the link works.

Monday - Put 4.2 commercial corned beef point in pot of cold water after work and refrigerated over night. Tuesday am - rinsed, dried, trimmed fat cap, rubbed with oil and then with Meathead’s pastram...

Looks awesome!! I am going to try this.

Comment

Looks good. That's a flat, not a point, though. DEW

Comment

Not according to the label Dew. I went specifically looking for a flat and they didn't have any. Unless they had all of these mislabeled.
        Last edited by Dr ROK; January 28, 2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I think the label is mistaken. In fact, I guarantee it. This is a point:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20150116_085902.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	57865

Name:	20150119_201127.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	57867

You can easily see the difference between this and what you made. Yours made nice slices and had a fat cap. The point didn't.

DEW

Comment

Here's better pictures. This is the point:

Name:	Corned beef point.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	57870

And this is the flat:

Name:	Corned beef flat.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	57871

Didn't yours look like the bottom one?

DEW

Comment

That looks awesome!! I'm thinking I need to go to my butcher soon and get me a corned beef

Comment

Dew, it was shorter and more squat than the flat in your pic. Here's a pic of it prior to trimming and rubbing. What do you think?

Name:	IMG_3700.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	57898

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Still looks like a flat. But particularly the pic you posted of the slices tell me it was a flat. Anyway, you did a great job. My next pastrami will be a flat so it slices better. The point just falls apart unless it's cold when you slice it.

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it was a flat, I definitely want to try a point to see how much juicier it would be. This was great, but point is my favorite part of the brisket, so I'm sure it'd be even better.

I'm doing the same thing as we speak. Desalinated 18 hrs, put my rub on yesterday, smoking Friday. In your evernote pics it really does look like a flat, especially the slices. Hard to say how the butchers trim & label things though.

Comment

I love making homemade Pastrami I use a brining recipe similar to Meathead's to make the corn beef which I brine for usually 10 days at the minimum from there a slight soaking in water to draw out some of the salt, I rub it down heavy in my pastrami rub and let it sit in the fridge overnight, take out the next day coat some more rub on and the smoker it goes! I brought a meat slicer last year just to get those deli thin slices!! I'm pretty sure I went a week eating nothing but Pastrami sandwiches LMAO!!! I mean breakfast, lunch and dinner LOL! I'm doing some again for St. Patty Day!

Comment

I don't know .. I think it was a point you cooked. The pictures of the sliced meat reminds me of the bigger muscle strands found in the point. That's my opinion

Comment

I've never seen a point about 1" think and a fat cap like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Well I would want to know myself. So I would go back to the store and see if they actually have a flat you can compare too. If they did and it looked the same as your point I doubt I would go back to that place. Of course we all make mistakes and butchers are no exception.
                        But it does look mighty good to me.

Comment

Here's what I used.

Name:	IMG_3791.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	58181

Comment

I guess that solves that

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here