Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philly Cheesesteak Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be our Thursday Night Football meal. We lived in Philly for 3 years and had steaks from many different places around town, so this will be a nostalgic cook.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Bears v Commanders? Make Chicago Italian Beef, Bear! https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ndwich-recipe/

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead I would. But my pal Ed from Joliet, whose identity is derived from his Italian Beef sandwiches, would be deeply wounded if I were to do that.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the only time I would consider a twist to a Philly Cheese. Dip those babies in Meathead 's DC Mumbo Sauce https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...s/mumbo-sauce/. Just as DC had to steal the sauce recipe from Chicago for the win, the Commanders will have to steal they game from Bears if they want to win. Mr. Snyder #selltheteam

Gotta make this when im done with my military activeties in just a few days..
    Thanks for sharing Meathead

Comment

• Brisketboy
      Brisketboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Please, do let me know how they turn out. Feel free to add your own twist to the seasoning, and keep some beef broth handy when you're cooking the beef in the cast iron. Helps keep those slices tender. Enjoy! John M

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the inputs @Brisketboy
      Gonna try this on saturday.
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; October 18, 2022, 12:23 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

Oh my! Thanks!

Comment

How far in advance can the cheese sauce be made? I'd like to make it now for a 7pm cook (It's 4 here now) but I don't want it to thicken so much that it isn't viable by then.

Comment

• Brisketboy
        Brisketboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I couldn't give a timely response. Hope they turned out well. I've done the cheese sauce the day before. With added dairy and the use of the double boiler, you can freshen that cheese sauce a day later. Bet it would even work 48 hrs later. If you do try again, soak the milk overnight with a couple of quarters of onion, or some raw garlic cloves. Adds great character to the cheese sauce...

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        The steaks turned out great, Brisketboy . My wife commented "If I ordered in a restaurant and got this I'd be very happy." Thanks again for the great video.

John and I worked up the recipe to accompany his video. I have posted it above.

Comment

"Now, working quickly, employing both spatulas, pin down the beef with one spatula, stab and pull with the other, shredding the beef." I shaved the ribeye pretty well with an Anescra slicer, froze it but couldn't shred it effectively with two spatulas on a Cuisinart electric griddle while cooking. Does your intermediate smoking make the meat easier to shred, or am I missing something else?

Comment

I was born and raised a little north of Philly and went to college in the city. I haven't had a cheesesteak outside of the Philly area that matches the true Philly cheesesteak and every once in a while, I make the pilgrimage to get a "real one." Many moons ago, the Wall St. Journal had a front page article on why the cheesesteak is not duplicated elsewhere. They concluded it was the roll. And I agree. The Italians settling in South Philly in the Great Depression years have a secret.

But Charlie Anderson has been hard at work in a quest to find the answer. I tried his recipe for rolls at home and they are real close to the Philly rolls. He has a 6 minute steam in the recipe and instead of his expensive cast iron dome to trap steam, I used an oval Le Creuset Dutch oven and put each roll in a parchment paper boat and put a couple of ice cubes under the paper.

I ordered the malt ingredient from Amazon as it isn't available locally. Anderson, also covers the cheese and meat in seperate videos.

Really getting close to the real thing at home now.

In all my years of devouring cheesesteaks, I never had one in Philadelphia that had green peppers and I never had one outside of Philly that didn't have green peppers.

Comment

Now that's a high end cheesesteak! Love the video, the technique, the BBQ toys..... when I grow up, I want to be able to cook like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
              Glad to see he didn't put peppers on it..
              Hah! I tell my wife if the restaurant menu has green peppers on the cheese steak, you already know you’ll be disappointed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here