Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating Prime Rib for 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skorepeo
    replied
    1 bone for 2 people so you would need quantity 4 six bone prime ribs

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    Dr ROK I would factor in how many men are eating as well. Men eat a lot more meat than women usually. I would go at least 20 lbs. of raw weight (with bones) but if you like leftovers, go 25 lbs. Better having leftovers than someone not getting fed. It does shrink a bit too

Leave a comment:

• smokinfatties
    replied
    Dr ROK I bought a 13lb boneless from costco. Fat cap is a lot of the weight! I would say about 1/3. So a 13 lb roast probably ended up with 8-9 lbs of meat. It's basically ribeye steaks at that point so you can probably estimate from there?

If prime rib is the only meat you're having, For 25 people i would probably buy 25lbs, trim the fat cap off and estimate weight. After that if i had a little too much i'd slice a nice ribeye off for a pre-run taster! It's hard to say how much my 13lb one fed because we had other meat like turkey etc.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    All adults, but it is a good idea to have a "kids" table instead of feeding them prime rib.

• CeramicChef
    replied
    @Dr. ROK - when you say 25, do you mean 25 adults or a mix of adults and kids?

Whenever I've done prime rib for parties, I set and adults' table with the prime rib and then a kids' table of significantly most cost effective food like hamburger steak. Kids tend to waste a HUGE amount of food at parties. Prime rib is expensive and hamburger is cheap.

I also let the kids cook their own entree ... they LOVE this and gets them involved. Of course kids only cook with adult supervision.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    replied
    Dr ROK I have always gone with a pound per person, but I like to have leftovers. You could probably get away with 12 oz. per person and still have plenty for leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    started a topic Calculating Prime Rib for 25

Calculating Prime Rib for 25

I'm smoking boneless prime rib for 25 in a couple weeks. Anybody have any suggestions on how to calculate how much I'll need to buy? Most of the comments I've read refer to bone in prime rib. These will be boneless and I plan on trimming the fat cap off, but leaving the rest of the roast intact.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here