Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Tri-TIp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Tri-TIp

This is a front sear recipe*. If you like to reverse sear your steaks/roasts, then adjust accordingly. Also, this is not Santa Maria style, though still very flavorful.

Background: Literally grew up with Tri-tip in LA. Loved eating it when I went up north to visit friends at Cal Poly SLO and you could find Tri-tip out in Santa Monica, CA back in the 70’s. The base of this recipe I pulled off the internet many years ago, but have tweaked it quite a bit. I use my seasonings, but can easily be replaced with your own. This Tri-tip is grilled with a mop sauce that provides the acid balance to the salt and fat.

Serves: ~ 4

Takes how long: Dry brining: 4-24 hours. Grilling: ~ 1 to 1 ¼ hours.

Special Tools: Brick wrapped with aluminum foil and an Instant-read thermometer.

Ingredients:

Whole Tri-Tip
    1. Generally around 2-3 lbs.
    Mop Sauce
    1. 1/3 Cup Veg. Oil
    2. 1/3 Cup (½ Red Wine and ½ Red Wine Vinegar)
    3. 1 Lrg. Tbsp Dijon Mustard
    4. 4 Cloves Garlic, grated
    5. 1 Tbsp Parsley, minced
    Dry Brining
    1. Beef rub (with salt). I use my own all-purpose rub.
    Method:

Prep: 24 hours before (or at least 4 hours) trim TT of all visible fat and silver skin. Dry brine with beef rub with salt. Wrap in cellophane and place in frig.

Fire up: When ready to cook, prepare your grill. One side of grill with a hot fire for direct grilling, the other side with no coals or fire for indirect cooking.

Cook:
    1. Just before grilling, dust TT a bit more with beef rub.
    2. Place TT directly over goals and grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip TT over.
    3. When you flip the TT, brush top of TT with mop sauce. Grill 3-4 minutes.
    4. Keep repeating steps 2-3 (flipping and mopping) until you get the bark or crust you want.
    5. Place foil wrapped brick on hot side of grill, turn TT over to that 3rd side that is now prevalent, mop if needed.
    6. Move TT over to the cool side of grill. Inspect TT to determine if there is enough char, bark, fond or crust to your liking. If insufficient push TT back over the coals until you get the crust, fond you like.
    7. Place TT again on cool side of the grill. Take internal temp of the TT, adjust vents accordingly and finish TT indirect to your desired internal temperature.
    8. Pull TT off grill, place on platter and pour remaining mop sauce over TT, tent with aluminum foil and carry into the house. Rest the TT as you see fit.
    9. There are two distinct muscles in a TT. Find them, separate muscles and then cut against the grain.
    * As mentioned this is a front sear recipe. I prefer front sear over reverse sear for steaks and small roasts because to me the crust is the most important element, not the internal temp. The crust is where all the flavor is and that is what I want to develop. For me on my PK, it is usually 4 turns plus one turn on that 3rd side with the brick that gives me the bark I like. When I take the internal temp it is usually between 70-90 d. Plenty of time to bring it up the 130's for medium rare.

Attached Files

Good recipe and visual tutorial. Well done, love this cut ❤️

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - Thank you. I've learned a lot from your recipe and meat posts and others. You've all set a high standard.

Nice write up.
    Thanks.
    It almost looks like the mustard gives it an "au puve " look.
    And yes I have no idea how to spell that. 🤦🏼
    Got a couple in the freezer. Will definitely try your method.

Comment

Long live the front sear!

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Preach it Brother!!!

I am going to give this a shot soon. I mostly reverse sear but sometimes get frustrated by imperfect crust.. And tri-tip may be my favorite cut of meat right now. The mopping over direct heat seems like a good way to get a very flavorful crust.

Comment

I have a huge issue with your post. I cooked my Try-Tip yesterday and you post this today. Dang you!

Front sear king here as well. This looks fantastic brother!

Comment

Hmmm, gonna hafta try that. I generally keep it simple with TT…S&P, garlic, and a pinch of cayenne.
          I’ve never mopped one. Looks tasty and would change it up a bit. Thanks

Though I don’t own a Santa Maria style grill…that’s pretty much how I cook mine anyway. Live fire with red oak, and lots of babysitting & moving it around.

Comment

Looks delish! Thanks!

Comment

Looks great! I always reverse sear. I have TT in the freezer and I think I am going to try front sear.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe and method. I would say the Trick-tip has become one of my favorite cuts.

That mop sauce sounds delish!

Comment

How fortuitous! I found a new local meat shop just a couple hours ago that keeps tri-tip in stock! Guess I need I was meant to pick one up and give this a shot!

Comment

Tri Tip FTW!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here