Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beans under Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beans under Brisket?

In the Big Article on brisket, Meathead references beans under the brisket to catch fat drippings. Burns can't find an actual recipe for this.

What if I put DRY beans which would normally need to soak for 6 to 12 hours, along with water, onions and other yum ingredients into a pot under the brisket for the entire duration of the smoke?

I don't think that dry beans under your cook it a good idea. Go chech out the "Zen of Beans" section on the main site.

I could be wrong on this for sure. I would be inclined to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
      I would be inclined to avoid it.
      Agreed ...

Comment

Although not an expert I believe one of the main rules of dry beans is you throw out the water you soaked them in, then rinse the beans before cooking. So I would not do the combo soak / cook method.

Comment

Yeah you guys are right. My wife already corrected me :-) Precisely for the reason R2 said… you're supposed to throw that water away. I'll check out the zen of beans page; I missed that before. Thanks!

Comment

We love the whiskey baked beans! Always put them under whatever beef I'm smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
              We love the whiskey baked beans! Always put them under whatever beef I'm smoking.
              Do you mean the "Bourbon BBQ baked beans"?http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beans...ked_beans.html

Everything there sounds great… except for for the raisins. Required? That's what makes them sweet I assume. Not a fan of sweet beans; what say ye?

Comment

That is exactly the one I meant, PhotoJoseph , sorry for the name confusion. I think you absolutely do NOT need the raisins. I think the sweetness comes from the molasses and the BBQ sauce. And you also don't need to use all three beans. Use 1, 2, or whatever you want.

First time I make a recipe I follow it exactly, then on future cooks make any desired changes. Saw no reason to make any changes on this one.

NOTE: the three cups of water appears to be a recent addition. When I did them with the water I found them to be watered down too much so the flavors didn't really pop for me. FOR ME/US, the beans without the extra water are much more luxurious.

Comment

Thanks richinlbrg! Much appreciated

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    NBD, PhotoJoseph ! That's why we are all here. PLEASE let us know what you do and your thoughts!

Alright here's what I did… followed that recipe, mostly. Removed raisins and BBQ sauce because I don't need a pre-made mix of something full of sh** I can't pronounce in my beans :-) Swapped the red bell pepper for some other green chilis. Doubled up on that and the jalapeño. Onions were big so that's extra, too. The bacon I use is top notch so that will be awesome. And now it's under the meat! PS—I left out the water per your advice richinlbrg — it was liquid enough with the cans of beans and when I took it off at midnight it was perfectly juiced.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PhotoJoseph; May 30, 2016, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                    CeramicChef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PhotoJoseph - those are some of the tastiest beans I've seen in a very long time. Kudos and congrats!

I'm with you on sweet beans … not my favorites. I have enough preservatives in me from my days as a chemical engineer ... I don't need any more!

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SA-WEET! Great job - what changes will you make next time?

I do smoke beans under my brisket, and I don't use the raisins. I sub in a portion of brown sugar instead, at a reduced rate. Also, I use the colored sweet peppers rather than the bell pepper. I like bell pepper ok, it just doesn't like me...)

Comment

Originally posted by Storlok View Post
                    I do smoke beans under my brisket, and I don't use the raisins. I sub in a portion of brown sugar instead, at a reduced rate. Also, I use the colored sweet peppers rather than the bell pepper. I like bell pepper ok, it just doesn't like me...)

That sounds like. MONEY. WTG

Comment

Finally updating here…

These beans were AH-MAY-ZING. They pot was massive and I was convinced we'd have leftovers for weeks. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Next time I'll put less molasses. My wife said "too sweet" (no one else did but we know who the boss is!) but that's the only change I'd make.

Something else I did was pull off the flat from the brisket before the point was done (I think I got that right), rested it for a couple of hours, then chop chopped it, fried it up in the brisket's own fat which I'd liquified earlier, then mixed that entire pile into the beans. Holy amazing sweet baby batman. So good.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I can't wait to do this again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here