Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beans & smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beans & smoke?

Hello everyone,

Do any of you like smoking beans? Do you find they soak up too much smoke flavor? Have you ever thought they soak up unpleasant flavors from the smoke?

I ask this as a result of the two times I've smoked beans. Both times I smoked some, but not all of the beans. I enjoyed them unsmoked, but found the smoked beans unpalatable. I find this very strange because I love beans and really enjoy smoked flavor. There just seems to be something about beans and smoke for me.

My 1st attempt t smoke beans, I made some baked pinto beans, which had a nice flavor. I put some in my egg as I smoked a pork butt on my BGE w/ wood chunks. The butt was good, the unsmoked beans were good, the smoked beans tasted like creosote.

My second attempt was in my stick burner KBQ. I smoked a brisket, and the trimmings on top of a pan of black eyed peas. I help some out for those who don't like smoke. I let the brisket and trimmings drip onto the beans. I also cut up the smoked trimmings and put in the beans. Same experience as last time. Unsmoked beans were good. Smoked beans tasted like a house fire.

Am I alone in this experience? Am I doing something wrong?

Respectfully,
    JD

Smoked beans or BBQ beans,
    Traeger Grills® - The Original Wood Pellet Grill
    I also google a recipe-videos for reference.
    THE BEST Smoked Baked Beans - How To - YouTube
    How To Make Baked Beans On A Traeger - Ace Hardware - YouTube
    Smoked AND Baked Beans. Best Baked Beans. Smoked on the Recteq Smoker. 4th of July Recipe - YouTube
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; July 25, 2022, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      There ya have it! 🕶

Thanks,
    I appreciate the recipes.
    I was more asking about the heavy smoke flavor on the beans. Does anyone find that beans soak up a ton of smoke flavor, too much even? And unpleasant smoke flavor at that?
    I now, sound like a really dumb question. The thing that's got me perplexed is, I like smoke flavor and love beans. I love the meat that comes off the smoker, but the beans.... yuck!
    Anyone else had this experience? Again, am I doing something wrong?
    JD

Comment

I make a Project Smoke recipe called Smokehouse beans quite often on charcoal cookers using chunks, and they always come out heavenly. It does use canned beans and has several other ingredients. I guess my main questions would be what type of wood was used, what temperature were the cooks, and how long were the beans on for? The recipe I use calls for 225-250 for 2 1/2 hours, uncovered, and stirred every half hour, but in general I try to run around 250-260. I do use milder woods, typically apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterr View Post
        I make a Project Smoke recipe called Smokehouse beans quite often on charcoal cookers using chunks, and they always come out heavenly. It does use canned beans and has several other ingredients. I guess my main questions would be what type of wood was used, what temperature were the cooks, and how long were the beans on for? The recipe I use calls for 225-250 for 2 1/2 hours, uncovered, and stirred every half hour, but in general I try to run around 250-260. I do use milder woods, typically apple.
        Okay thanks,
        These were not canned beans. They were on the clean smoke for about 3 hours on stick burner (KBQ). Wood was cherry and hickory. To be honest, even though that KBQ pulls clean smoke through and from under the fire, a few of the splits were a bit on the green side & smoldered and steamed a bit.
        Perhaps it was just too longs. Perhaps that smokey flavor was amplified getting drippings from brisket and the trimmings, rub, etc.
        All I know is, based upon this second bean smoke, I'm sure in no rush to put beans on the smoker again any time soon.
        Best regards,
        JD

Comment

I've tried to BBQ beans but they keep falling through the grill.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            If you add Elmer’s Glue to yer sauce they will stick together long enough to harden & then cook properly to the ambient temperature with only a moderate use of a fan.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            "Falling through the grill" I know, I hear you. The same thing happened to me when I tried to make Smash Burgers, they smashed through the grill grates.
            Last edited by bbqLuv; July 25, 2022, 03:01 PM.

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer "tug off the grill" to "fall through the grill" *cheezy grin*

I've made smoked baked beans a couple of times, but none of them were on the smoker more than 2-3 hours, and I never felt they had too much smoke. Folks seemed to like them and ate them anyway. A couple of times I've done it from dried pintos, just finishing them on the grill, other times it was doctored up canned beans.

Unless storing them, only the surface layer will take on smoke, and then that gets mixed up if you stir them after pulling from the grill. If you are stirring them during the cook, that could be mixing smoke throughout the pot of beans.

Another thought is... I hate to say... smoke that isn't "clean"? Some kamados have such low air flow and are so efficient that they don't have a hot fire, and any wood chunks you have smoulder and do not smoke cleanly. I can't think of any other way to explain a creosote taste. Not something I have personally experienced.

Anyway, if you don't like the smoke the beans take up, answer is simple - don't smoke them. Or if doing like I do, trying to keep the heat out of the kitchen during a hot summer, put them on the smoker or kamado, but keep the lid on or cover them with foil.
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 25, 2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here