Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancho Gordo Pinquitos Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancho Gordo Pinquitos Revisited

ecowper Posted a very simple approach to Pinquitos. While many liked it, I found the flavor to be somewhat bland, although the beans had excellent texture. I decided to use my other 1/2 pound and add some stuff to develop more flavor. And they turned out great!

Ingredients:

1/2 lb pinquitos
    4 cups chicken broth (store bought - all my homemade is in the freezer as chicken noodle soup)
    2 bacon strips/rashers (these were store bought - would have better with homemade, but needs must)
    1/2 yellow onion diced/chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper diced/chopped
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1-2 tsp chili powder
    1 TBS tomato paste
    2-3 TBS dark molasses
    Salt as desired

I rinsed the beans, put them in a pot and then soaked them in the chicken stock for 3 hours. Without dumping the liquid, brought the pot to a boil for 10 minutes. Then reduced to a simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

After the hour of just beans, I dumped all the other ingredients in except for the molasses. I needed to add 2 cups of water to keep everything covered. I then simmered for 2.5 more hours. At about the 3 hour mark I started adding the molasses 1 Tbs at a time to get some sweetness. I also added salt, maybe a teaspoon, maybe a tablespoon - just went to flavor.

The end result was a great pot of beans. the other ingredients did not hide the bean flavor, but we really enjoyed how the the flavors turned out. Had them along side some corned beef sandwiches. Corned beef came in a recent Katz's deli order, so I'll be having leftover corded beef and beans for lunch today!

Thanks for reading! Sorry, no pics. But really, it was just a pot of beans - do you need a picture?

Got a tri tip and a bag of pinquitos,,,,,
    gonna give it a go

Comment

Nice!!! After all of the recent discussion about Santa Maria cooking I went ahead and ordered some Rancho Gordo pinquitos. On the truck as we speak!

Comment

I’d give that approach a whirl.

Comment

Thanks all. The one thing I would do different with the bacon is I would pan fry it instead of putting it in raw. Main reason is texture and flavor of the bacon. Cooking it in a way that is basically boiling or stewing it leaves the bacon sort of chewy and not "bacony" (I got that word from Panhead John 's thesaurus).

Comment

• SmokingPat
            SmokingPat commented
            Editing a comment
            In your different recipe, the bacon grease from the frying pan went ... ?
            Last edited by SmokingPat; June 12, 2021, 07:14 PM.

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            SmokingPat I haven’t tried it yet, but I would tend to add the grease in. This is more about texture and crispy flavor than eliminating the grease. In fact, I think the bacon grease would add a nice flavor element.

OMG. I like beans, but this was amazing.

I've been lurking for a while, and tri-ed out the tri-tip for a high-end street taco fest for my son's rehearsal dinner a couple months back. We eyed doing the recommended pinquito beans, but his missus put hard NO for that plan. Something about fumigating the wedding...I don't know what she was going on about. Anyway, the grilled tri-tip, pulled pork, and grilled shrimp street tacos were a huge hit and I give great credit to the crowd here at AR for helping me learn how to do them all.

So, the wife and I (who both really love to cook) decided to put some Rancho Gordo pinquitos to the test this weekend.
          We did pan fry the bacon first and used about half the bacon grease, as suggested above. It's still pretty floppy at the end, but more 'bacony' than it would have been. Lisa made the fresh chili powder from AR's recipe, and I highly recommend.

I just discovered we forgot the molasses. The savory succulence of this recipe, even without the slight sweetness of the molasses, is amazing. We're putting this alongside tri-tip and chili relleno, so I think we'll leave it out. But - it's till an hour and half till dinner, so recommendations from the crowd are still open!

It might be my favorite beans we've ever done. Simply amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_180317.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1104038
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Caffeine88; October 2, 2021, 04:21 PM. Reason: Edit: because I'm still not sure I put in the pix correctly.

Comment

And Rancho Gordo for the win again with no small help from GolfGeezer and Caffeine88

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s really all the fault of fzxdoc …. Pretty sure she was the one that got the rest of us going on Rancho Gordo! Also, pinquitos alongside tri-tip is always amazing!

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              While I really hate to agree with ecowper, I have to agree with him on this. It is totally fzxdoc fault that I have a cabinet full.of beans. In fact I finished eating some midnight beans from the freezer today, now I need to make some more.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Guilty as charged, ecowper and klflowers . Joining the Rancho Gordo Bean Club back in 2018 started an addiction that I just had to share back then here on The Pit.

Well, after being on a wait list for a year or more, I've been ushered into the Rancho Gordo Bean Club to the tune of $40 quarterly. For that I get 6 varieties of beans and grains not

I feel so "normal" now that you guys have a ton of RG beans on your kitchen shelves as well.

Kathryn

Caffeine88 's rendition of GolfGeezer 's recipe is where I would have gone with the pinquitos as well. I really dislike sweet beans. Give us savory every time. And bacon has to be fried to be eaten around our house. What a great combo you two guys are--Congrats to you both!

I'm a big fan of eating each variety of RG beans at least once with very simple seasonings (onion and garlic powder while cooking, pepper and salt added at the end) to actually taste the bean. But those same beans really shine in recipes such as Golf Geezer's here as well.

I'll definitely be giving your recipe (with a couple of mods) a try, GolfGeezer . Thanks for posting it.

FWIW, I've done pinquitos with the following recipe, which yields a savory bean dish. It's very good.
            https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...pinquito-beans
            Of course I had to change a few ingredients.
            My recipe substitutions:
            1. a smoked ham hock for the diced ham (cooked along with the beans)
            2. poblano peppers for the Anaheim
            3. one cup of tomato sauce and 2 TBL tomato paste (barely browned) for the tomato puree
            4. bean broth for the water

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; October 3, 2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Ain't thing one wrong with this here version, an I find my dang ol self kinda likin these folks...

Mayhaps, YMMV... no worries...th worsta beans reckon I ever et beat a lot of other tucker plumb to death...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Chilled Legumes, Male Sibling.

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, I need me one of those thingies as well! And then a refresher on the consequences of this cook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing wrong with those beans. I will be making some of those with some of those beans in the pantry. And I need one of those star thingys too. Thanks for posting brother Bones

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
              ecowper Posted a very simple approach to Pinquitos. While many liked it, I found the flavor to be somewhat bland, although the beans had excellent texture. I decided to use my other 1/2 pound and add some stuff to develop more flavor. And they turned out great!

Ingredients:

1/2 lb pinquitos
              4 cups chicken broth (store bought - all my homemade is in the freezer as chicken noodle soup)
              2 bacon strips/rashers (these were store bought - would have better with homemade, but needs must)
              3 cloves garlic minced
              1 tsp dry mustard
              1-2 tsp chili powder
              1 TBS tomato paste
              2-3 TBS dark molasses
              Salt as desired

I rinsed the beans, put them in a pot and then soaked them in the chicken stock for 3 hours. Without dumping the liquid, brought the pot to a boil for 10 minutes. Then reduced to a simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

After the hour of just beans, I dumped all the other ingredients in except for the molasses. I needed to add 2 cups of water to keep everything covered. I then simmered for 2.5 more hours. At about the 3 hour mark I started adding the molasses 1 Tbs at a time to get some sweetness. I also added salt, maybe a teaspoon, maybe a tablespoon - just went to flavor.

The end result was a great pot of beans. the other ingredients did not hide the bean flavor, but we really enjoyed how the the flavors turned out. Had them along side some corned beef sandwiches. Corned beef came in a recent Katz's deli order, so I'll be having leftover corded beef and beans for lunch today!

Thanks for reading! Sorry, no pics. But really, it was just a pot of beans - do you need a picture?
              Hey GolfGeezer and freinds,
              I'm going to make your recipe.
              How many peeps does this recipe w/ 1/2 lb of dry beans serves?
              I've seen it written that 1 lb of beans serves 8 people, which I think is a bit conservative. If beans are one of several side, I think it's closer to serving 10 people with one pound. I could be way off though.
              You thoughts?
              JD

Comment

Thanks all. The one thing I would do different with the bacon is I would pan fry it instead of putting it in raw. Main reason is texture and flavor of the bacon. Cooking it in a way that is basically boiling or stewing it leaves the bacon sort of chewy and not "bacony" (I got that word from Panhead John 's thesaurus).
                I now know I need to sign up for Rancho Gurdo's bean club.
                I can not find Piquintos anywhere other than online w/ extended shipping time.

Can I sub dry pintos for GolfGeezer's recipe? That's my plan at the moment. If so, do I need to make any adjustments?
                JD

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                  GolfGeezer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jjdbike - For that many people, I would double at least the quantity of beans and veggies and the tomato paste. As for the spices, you can start with what I used and then add 1/2 tsp of each, taste after 15 mins, and then add if you want. I'm sure the larger bean amount will take more spices, I just haven't done that.

• GolfGeezer
                  GolfGeezer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jjdbike As for using dried pintos, I think that would be fine. I'm no expert on such things as pre-soaking, rinsing and such. Hopefully someone with more dried bean experience will advise you on that. My take is to follow the directions for whatever beans you use, then add the veggies.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb pinquitos
                3 cloves garlic minced
                1 tsp dry mustard
                1-2 tsp chili powder
                1 TBS tomato paste
                2-3 TBS dark molasses
                Salt as desired

Hello once again GolfGeezer.
                For your recipe w/ 1/2 lb of dry beans… how many would you estimate it would serve as a side dish?
                Thanks again,
                JD

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                  GolfGeezer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jjdbike. Well, if it the only side dish, I would say 2. If there are appetizers, or salads or other sides, I’d say 4. It is a bit hard for me to judge as we are usually only 2 and rarely have other side dishes.

Thanks!
                JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here