Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe: Pinquitos - May Be Best Beans I’ve Cooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ever get down to Orcutt, Ca. stop in here. These are the same people you can get the Susie-Q brand products from, including the Pinquito beans. https://farwesterntavern.com

The Far Western Tavern was established in 1958 by Clarence and Rosalie Minetti along with Rosalie’s cousin Richard Maretti and his wife Jean. Originally located in the historic Palace Hotel building in the town of Guadalupe, the Far Western Tavern quickly became a hometown favorite, attracting locals and visitors alike with its legendary fare and welcoming ambiance. Today the restaurant has its home in a beautiful building in Old Town Orcutt.
    Over the decades, the Far Western Tavern has received glowing accolades. In 2009, Sunset Magazine named it one of the West’s best barbecue restaurants. When Bobby Flay came to the area for his Food Network show BBQ with Bobby Flay, he chose the Minetti family to show viewers how to prepare Santa Maria Style Barbecue. In 2012, the Far Western Tavern and the Minetti family were showcased in an episode of Man, Fire, Food on the Cooking Channel.
    Since those early days, the Far Western Tavern has outlasted countless culinary trends, remaining true to its original style while keeping pace with contemporary tastes. As Clarence was fond of saying, "To last in this business, you have to like people and you have to serve great food. It’s that simple." Today, Clarence and Rosalie’s children and grandchildren remain committed to advancing the Far Western Tavern tradition.
    Buon appetito!
    The Minetti Family

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      great tip ..... I rarely get down that way anymore since I moved to WA state, but if I do I will stop in there for sure

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I was stationed a little over two hours from Santa Maria back in the late 70's. I wish I had been a foodie back then.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Love Susie-Q Seasoning. Been using it on my TT for years. We might be going up north in the fall for a little RR. Will have to remember this place. There was a tavern in Santa Barbara I use to frequent when I was up there for work. It served steak, but sirloin tips were their specialty. Thanks for posting this.

ecowper Thanks on the rinsing question. One more question on your recipe: you say to keep 1" water over the beans throughout the cook. When do you stop adding to allow the beans to have the creamy, "gravy" consistency, and do you cover the pot?
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; May 24, 2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably stop adding any new stock or water around the 2.5 to 3 hour mark. I normally leave the lid cracked open and let it develop a very bare simmer.

The best price I've found so far on line is from [email protected], 5 l b. cloth bag works out about $6.00/lb. with shipping. Most others were $8.00/lb. plus with shipping. Here's another recipe I found, It's more involved with many more ingredients, but I think I'll give it a try. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...pinquito-beans

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve looked at that one a couple times. So has fzxdoc. It looks good. I have doctored up pinquitos with similar stuff, so it probably makes sense.

I really appreciate you sharing this, seeing how I've never heard of this bean before now. One of my pet peeves is going to a BBQ joint and there being more sugar in the baked beans than there is in the banana pudding. I don't like making overly sweetened beans and it sounds like these don't need much to enhance the flavor. I've already ordered 2 lbs and I'm eager to try! Thank you, Eric. Brian

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I really dislike the traditional baked beans that are full of sugar and molasses, right there with you on that one.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      me too. Can't eat them.

First let me say - taste is individual and my comments that follow are in no way meant to disparage either the beans or the recipe. I just cooked a batch per the recipe to go with our sous vide then seared tri-tip. The beans were firm, but tender and very "meaty".

However, we found them rather bland. I did add about 1/2 tsp of salt at the end, but still the flavor to us was not there. Tried adding a dash of BBQ sauce, but not really that helpful. My wife likes sweet beans, so she added some molasses, but she still was not that pleased with the taste. I really did not want "sweet" beans, but these needed something that could enhance that meatiness and firm texture.

In the future, I would go more "traditional", adding bacon, onion and some other seasonings, particularly some cayenne chili or chipotle chili just to add a little kick. I'll try that with the other 1/2 lb I have left.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s honestly good feedback. And taste is, of course, individual. I think that my use of my own homemade chicken stock makes a difference, as well. That said, I like what you describe …. "Firm, but tender, and very meaty" ….. so that is undoubtedly a big part of the difference in reaction.

I would suggest doing the food and wine recipe that has been posted. I’ve doctored up pintos and pinquitos that way and like it also. Plus, more traditional :-)

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper What I meant by "firm, but tender" is that the beans were not mushy like store-bought canned beans (ala Bush's or B&M) tend to be. This is the first time I've ever cooked beans from raw for a side dish (versus for soups), so I was not sure what texture to expect after 4 hours. So, firm meaning not falling apart, mushy, but a very easy bite without hard skin. I could just as easily have written "earthy" as "meaty" - ain't no journalist or experienced food writer!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer "firm, but tender" is just how I love beans. It's why I cook my own, cause you can't get them from a can like that.

Made this tonight. I confess I did use canned broth (chicken and beef). But good canned broth . Didn't want to use my homemade broth on beans. Just being honest. I put some minced white onion in too. The beans came out DELICIOUS!! Best stove top beans I've had. Your right, "firm, but tender....can't get them from a can like that".

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      you're totally welcome!

Here's a recipe from Lompoc Valley Seed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1037349

Comment

Had to order from Rancho Gordo since everyone raves about them. Had my first batch last night. Just chicken stock w a gentle simmer for about 4 hrs. Damn! Revelation. Perfect texture and creamy inside. Amazing flavor. Kids chowed down too. Thanks for this!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        RG beans are amazing. And when the kids like ‘em, you know you hit the jackpot!

Going to add to this -

made my first batch of Rancho Gordo Ayocote Negro. Kept it simple as well, some diced onion, garlic, chicken stock and a little EVOO as the directions recommend. Let them cook and these turned out amazing. The size of the beans after cooking may have tripled - the texture was perfect and the flavor was dynamite! This is the third style of Rancho Gordo product I’ve made and I am impressed!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got a pound of those in the pantry. Think I’ll do just that same thing!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        These are one of my favorite beans.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here