Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenji's take on Red Beans and Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenji's take on Red Beans and Rice

I saw this today and thought some here might be interested. I've never made it from scratch because my wife hates sausage -any type of sausage, and doesn't even like to smell it cooking... So I can't comment on it, but you can.

I wanted to edit this post, but the emoji below prevented that. So I deleted the post, but the emoji did not delete. I retyped the post hoping I could then delete, but it's still here...

Last edited by RonB; May 10, 2021, 06:08 PM.

I need to try this. Thank you for the share.

Comment

Man, I’ve been thinkin of beans & rice! Gracias, muchos! (A little bi-lingualism there fer ya.)

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Mucho grassyass. ;<) More (not so) bilingualism.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        De nada!

My sincere sympathies to you on account of your wife not eating any kind of sausage. That caveat would be a hard one to accommodate around here.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, can you say pass the brats! 🕶

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan I immediately thought of how many brats I cook over the course of a year and how I’d even begin replacing all those cooks. Hopeless I tell ya. Brat season is upon us

That is a really interesting article. Unless im crazy it goes contrary to the advice of rancho gordo in that you shouldnt add salt until the end of the cook because it will make the beans tougher. Now im fully intrigued.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        His article makes sense to me. Ive always found my rancho gordo cooks to be much longer than expected so im going to try it this way next time. Im a big kenji fan

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        @grangallagher - please let us know which is better - if there is a difference...

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB 100% soaking in salted water overnight now

This is how I make them: Dark roux. Combination of shrimp and chicken stock. Andouille sausage. Holy trinity plus garlic. Bay leaf. Salt, black pepper and a dash of cayenne. A few dashes of homemade hot sauce. I like to throw in a smoked ham hock and discard after the cook (scraping out the little bit of usable meat in the process). When I cook brown rice I like to add things to add flavor to the rice itself - salt and pepper being obvious additions to the water it cooks in. I really like to spoon in some of that 'Better than Bouillion' chicken broth paste. That really flavors the rice and makes the dish richer. I do use canned kidney beans though. It's been WAY too long since I've made red beans and rice. I'm going to have to remedy this travesty.

Comment

Camellia Brand red beans are the creamiest IMO. I think salt pork or a ham bone are great alternatives to sausage.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I second that. I used a pound of "bacon ends" from Porter Road in a pot of beans last weekend, and the family couldn't get enough of them. My daughter came back the next night wondering if we still had leftover beans, haha.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris I grew up with red beans and rice just about every Monday, and while we never used bacon, which would be great, or used sausage red beans and rice would probably be my last meal. I think the salt port, which my mother called picked meat, was my favorite of the two.

For those of you who'd like to try adding pickled pork to your red beans and rice, the Frug has a recipe for pickled pork in his "The Frugal Gourment Cooks American". It's basically cubed pork butt refrigerated for a few days in a boiled (then cooled) brine of straight vinegar (several cups) heavily seasoned with pickling spices, especially mustard seed. DO boil the brine outdoors; don't ask me how I know this.

I haven't made this, or RB&R, in quite a while, but it is GOOD and I think I need to make some RB&R with pickled pork a la the Frug soon.
        Last edited by Willy; May 11, 2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

This is a really good RB&R Instant Pot recipe, for those who are interested.

https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/a...eans-and-rice/

Also, grantgallagher , Cook's Illustrated tested the "no salt in beans until they're cooked" theory and basically debunked it. I can't find that test article, but did find one that Kenji did:

https://www.seriouseats.com/salt-bea...er-good-or-bad

FWIW, here are a couple of CI articles that address the salting method:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...soak-for-beans
          https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...h_experience_2

Here's a Serious Eats author's (Daniel Gritzer) takeaway in this article:
          Here's the take-away: Skip the soak on thin-skinned beans like black-eyed peas, black beans, and lentils. For other beans, it's best to soak unless you know for sure that you're dealing with high quality, freshly dried beans, in which case you can skip it.

I still follow Rancho Gordo advice and don't add salt until the end of the bean cook because their beans are so fresh. Don't mess with the RG experts, IMO.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; May 12, 2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

JCBBQ
            There is already a thread on the subject. I wasn't sure where to put this since it crosses, recipes, websites and discussion.
            To answer your question, I follow a basic recipe, but don't always make it the same way. What I do is loosely based on the Camellia Brand Recipe. If you go to the comments below the recipe, you can see what local cooks do.
            I have also referenced Emeril Lagasse and The CajunNinja among others. This is kind of cool. Louis Armstrong's family recipe

I use a whole med yellow onion, a green bell, pepper, 3 or 4 stalks of celery and a couple tsp. diced garlic from a jar.
            I don't use a premix cajun spice blend. I used onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and salt. I don't bother to measure. I used 2 tsp of Chicken Better than Bouillon. I used smoked bacon to render fat and threw the pieces in the pot. The problem with that is you end up with strings of bacon fat, but they can be pulled out. I didn't have hocks or anything, so I used what I had. I browned sliced Hickory Smoked Andouille from the local Albertson's (not the legit stuff from La Place.)

The recipe by Kenji is a good one, just based on reading it and familiarity with cooking beans.

Here is my take on the Red Bean situation.
            • The beans are best when using ham hocks or ham bone, IMHO. Smoked meat is essential no matter which ones you decide on. I have used a smoked turkey leg and once time a left over spiral cut ham bone. You don't have to add Andouille. If you like it, and can find it, then go for it.
            • I don't use thyme or sage. Many recipes call for thyme, not sage.
            • I don't boil my precooked sausage to death. I add that at the end after it has been browned.
            • I salt at the end, just to make sure I don't oversalt. People can add salt to taste when served.
            • I use a box of chicken stock or Better than Bouillon.
            • The use of butter is optional. Some people add butter to the beans. I don't. I do add some to the rice to keep it from sticking and drying out in the fridge.
            • Old New Orleans cooks do indeed used pickled pork. My mother-in-law did.
            • There is something to adding acidity to the beans. Some people use vinegar/ apple cider vinegar. See Red bean essentials. Of course, you can use any vinegar based hot sauce. I use Tobasco. My brother and nephews prefer La. Hot Sauce.
            • As far as salt making the beans tough, I have no clue and haven't noticed any difference when I salt my beans. My guess is if you are getting tough beans, it is because they are old or not cooked enough.
            bbqLuv asked an interesting question regarding Red Beans vs Kidney Beans. I think I'll start a topic in the discussion section.
            Last edited by Carolyn; December 18, 2023, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for this comprehensive answer and the link to this thread. You’re the best!!

• Carolyn
              Carolyn commented
              Editing a comment
              JCBBQ Awe shucks. You are welcome. I was hoping it wasn't too long of an answer, and I am no bean expert, but red beans are pretty easy, and most recipes are similar.

Let us know how your beans turn out.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here