Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westren North Carolina BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westren North Carolina BBQ Sauce

I saw the thread for Eastern Carolina Sauce, in the western part of the sate they use a bit less vinegar and more tomato. This is one my wife and I found and use. I cook it down about the full 15 min so its a bit thicker. I also use Franks or Louisiana Hot Sauce, but Carolinians seem to love Texas Pete's

Western Carolina BBQ Sauce recipe

1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    ¾ Cup Ketchup
    ¼ Cup Dark Brown Sugar
    1 TBS Yellow Mustard
    1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
    1 tsp Hot Sauce (Preferably Texas Pete's)
    1 tsp Kosher Salt
    ½ tsp Ground Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan. Whisk well to combine.
    Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a rapid simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the sauce is glossy and thickened, about 15-18 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
    Allow to cool to room temperature before using. Or, allow to cool to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy with pork, chicken, ribs, on sandwiches – whatever!
    Last edited by CaptGreg; August 5, 2021, 11:43 AM.

Texas Pete is made in North Carolina and has a hugh following, especially in the Piedmont area. I enjoy many different ones but always have several bottles of TP on hand.

if you want a little more authentic flavor in the Lexington style sauce, omit the mustard and what's-it-here sauce. I am Eastern style all the way but won't turn down a good Lexington style. This version does appear tasty as I love mustard as well. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      The bone head in me asked shouldn’t Texas Pete made in the Carolina’s be called Carolina Pete?

I’m so sorry for this....

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Always keeps me some Texas Pete on hand, among me other hot sauces...
      They each shine in their own way...
      Think more like an artist havin their palette of oil pigments, an alla th swirly places thereupon, where they mix up new tints...
      I git mine from Amazon, as well.

• mcook2201
      mcook2201 commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokinFool
      See post below for TP history.
      Carolina Pete just doesn't roll off the tongue quite that well 😁
      Last edited by mcook2201; September 25, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Many Thanks fer sharin yer sauce with us, Brother!I'll be a tryin it out...

Bee Safe!!!

Comment

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you enjoy it. Its one of my favorites

A dear family friend who hails from Ayden, NC, taught me much of what I know about Eastern Carolina bbq. He told me that ketchup is entirely optional and he only used it when his daughters were little.

The debate over Eastern-Western continues but the only thing agreed upon is that Cole Slaw (the stuff with mayo) doesn't belong on a sandwich. It has to be a vinegar based, "bruised" slaw and is often served on the side.

Comment

I really enjoy the mustard and vinegar flavor in the Western Carolina Sauces. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I made some of this yesterday and tried it on some chicken breasts. It was really good! Next time I think I'm going to put a bit more vinegar though, I prefer the slightly more acidic sauces. But this is definitely a recipe I've bookmarked.
        So Thank You!
        Attached Files

Comment

• CaptGreg
          CaptGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you enjoyed it!

I had some one suggest using sriracha sauce instead hot sauce. I have not tried it yet. Is there anyone else out there that has heard this or someone who has tried it?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome!

From Texas Pete history book:

THE YEAR WAS 1929.

"So how is it that a tasty red pepper sauce made in North Carolina happens to be named "Texas Pete’ anyway?” Legend has it that, when Sam Garner and his three sons, Thad, Ralph and Harold, were trying to come up with a brand name for this spicy new sauce they had created, a marketing advisor suggested the name "Mexican Joe" to connote the piquant flavor reminiscent of the favorite foods of our neighbors to the south. "Nope!" said the patriarch of the Garner family. "It’s got to have an American name!" Sam suggested they move across the border to Texas, which also had a reputation for spicy cuisine. Then he glanced at son Harold, whose nickname was "Pete" and the Texas Pete cowboy was born. Movie cowboys were very popular in the 1930’s, men like Tom Mix and Hopalong Cassidy, representing a sort of universal image of rugged independence and self-reliance, the perfect ideal for a family business trying to survive tough times. Actually, Texas Pete Hot Sauce was not the first product the Garner family made and sold. That distinction belonged to Garners’ Barbecue Sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here