Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Whiskey Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Whiskey Sauce

I decided I wanted my own whiskey sauce, rather than using what I found in the grocery store. If you are looking for a good grocery store whiskey sauce, Rufus Teague’s is excellent. Much better than Jack Daniels.

Regardless, I wanted my own as part of my recipe stash. So, I spent some time today working on it until I got what I wanted. This sauce is not at all sweet or syrupy. It’s a bit thinner than what you’ll get in the grocery store. It has layers of flavor ….. you can taste the corn from the whiskey, there’s lots of savory, there’s and underlying maltiness, and a robust sense of molasses. It tastes like Tennessee sauces from the 1800’s must taste in my imagination.

My inspiration was the Tennessee Hollerin sauce on the public side, but I wanted something a bit different, so I started playing around with it this morning. The first batch I made with ketchup and didn’t like how sweet it came out. The second batch I used half a cup of Black Swan original by Max Good plus 2 oz tomato paste and 1 oz honey and 1 oz of water. This gives us a cup of "ketchup", but it is much more savory than traditional ketchup. I also amped up the maltiness with more malt vinegar, definitely wanted that in there and not having ketchup meant I had less vinegar, as well. It’s even got a bit of heat to it!

Here’s the final recipe

1 1/2 cups Tennessee whiskey or Kentucky bourbon (I used Kirkland’s Tennessee whiskey 4 year aged)
    1/2 cup Black Swan original BBQ sauce
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1 oz water
    1 oz honey
    3 tbsp malt vinegar
    4 tbsp dark molasses
    2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    a couple dashes of Wright’s liquid smoke (I know, but I didn’t have a smoker running today)

First, reduce 1 cup of whiskey at a low boil in a sauté pan (it goes much faster that way)
    Then mix in everything else above
    Now bring to a simmer and keep it there cooking for about 30 minutes. Get it reduced by 1/4 to 1/3.
    Every 2-3 minutes scrape the sugars from the edge of the sauté pan left behind as the sauce is reducing and incorporate them back into the sauce.

Once it is reduced to your liking, let it cool. Pour into a 2 cup container of some sort, seal it up, put it in the fridge and save it for some great BBQ action :-)

All the ingredients ready to go
    Click image for larger version

Name:	910AF163-6AE7-47FC-B0EB-33E5F552C723.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1058183
    You really should have a bit of whiskey yourself while cooking this. It’s medicinal.

Name:	E2244A0D-6B41-4C57-9D65-591CE1C2A5E3.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1058181
    Getting the whiskey heated up to reduce

Name:	D615CB50-DDCB-47D0-9CE8-C00BA7383E2A.jpeg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1058182
    What it looks like when you’ve reduced your whiskey

Name:	EB9C0C60-0D5D-4238-83A9-7AA6F213FC47.jpeg
Views:	587
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1058180

Everything else (except molasses) mixed together.

Name:	7AA5D328-F6F0-4B63-80D0-7A2531294FB8.jpeg
Views:	514
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1058185
    Yep, I like Brer Rabbit molasses

Name:	4B606207-E362-4C6C-B076-B992E965BD8B.jpeg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1058184
    All in the pan, ready to cook it down

Name:	C3CDAA8D-CFAE-4E9F-8CAA-AF4340D1CED3.jpeg
Views:	519
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1058186
    Just finishing up. You can see where I’ve been scraping the sugars off the side of the pan.

Name:	8E464BF3-118E-4F9A-BB13-D599585C167A.jpeg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1058187
    In a jar and headed for the fridge. It will be really good tomorrow.

Name:	B08C8A64-BA97-4F70-A0A4-60E404984573.jpeg
Views:	525
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1058188

I really like your handwriting.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You should see it after the next glass of whisky

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we need progress pics after 2, 3, and 4 drinks.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      As a teenager I remember seeing Richard Nixon's handwriting samples from when he was first elected President to when he resigned. You could literally watch the walls closing in on him. He did have some pretty major accomplishments as President, but, as most do, he appeared to think that he was bigger than the job. Though not a humble man, I think Washington was probably the only President to be humbled by the job. Maybe Coolidge, Truman and Ike too.

HOW weird. I'm making a batch of my shawsh today and added 1/4C of bourbon to it. Wasn't intending to make a "bourbon sauce" just give mine an extra dimension. Then I thought how I really need to make an actual bourbon sauce. Great minds!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I was channeling you! I’m glad I buckled down and did this. I’ve been meaning to for a while. It took a couple tries, but I like what I’ve got here.

Sounds really good. I’ll give it a whirl next time I make sauce!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d love your feedback and input.

ecowper Late post, I just joined recently. I have done this for a while now when I want to really impress. I use sweet baby rays, sweet and spicy for the base. That’s my go to commercial sauce. In a sauce pan, I add the juice from the pork after separating the fat. I have my own maple sugar rub which works well with SBR’s sauce. A healthy dose of whiskey, sometimes honey, and many times a fruit in some form. Cook that down and it makes a great glaze and side of sauce.

My personal best? Baby backs with Apple Pie Moonshine in SBRs BBQ sauce plus apple preserves and drippings.

Caution, that moonshine was strong stuff. While tasting the moonshine during the cook, I got hammered... barely remember a damn thing! 🤣👍

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL I’ve had a few cooks like that.

Lookin forward to tryin yer receipt, Brother, seein how I like it compared to my own Whiskey Sauce...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      My best guess would be that both are delicious, an enjoyable, with some nuances of difference...

I might very well up my game by tryin some yer inclusions.

Ours are Very Similar; I also reduce th Bourbon, up front, an use Br'er Rabbit Mole Asses...

This is what learnin is all about, an why I'm here, Brother.

Be safe an well, yerself an Stacy!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones depending on the situation, ain’t nothing better than Mole Asses

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Yessir, that'd be a True Fact... Mole Asses Rule, an Br'er Rabbit Rules Mole Asses, IMCE...

This looks really good, Eric, ecowper . I really love a good whiskey BBQ sauce. Gonna give this a go. Thanks.

K.

Comment

Thanks for recipe I'm still trying to make my own rubs and sauces.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here