Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

latenight71's Bloody Mary BBQ Sawz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

latenight71's Bloody Mary BBQ Sawz

So there I was, left with a pan full of delicious, leftover smoked pulled pork and no bottle of BBQ sauce in sight. Not to worry, I have the skills - I'll make my own! After a maddening search for ketchup, which we buy at Costco in packs of 3 or 4 huge plastic bottles at a time, I only come up with the dregs of one small bottle - around a half cup at most. The horror!

At that moment I recalled a recipe I’d read in an annual church cookbook some friends from Oregon gave to my mom more than 35 years ago. The recipe only used a small amount of ketchup and was mostly tomato juice and sugars and spices cooked slowly until it thickened. A great idea, of course, but I didn’t have any tomato juice, either. What I did find, however, was a fresh bottle of bloody mary mix that I’d bought for Memorial Weekend but never got to because the day-drinking started later than I had figured.

So, I had a ½-cup of ketchup, a full bottle of LAVA San Marzano tomato bloody mary mix and a 25-year-old memory of a recipe for BBQ sauce. Sounds like a good plan, right?! This is what I came up with. I also recommend it refrigerated and mixed with Stolichnaya, ice and olives and celery. cheers!

latenight71’s Bloody Mary BBQ Sauce

2-cups LAVA San Marzano bloody mary mix*

½-cup Heinz ketchup

½-cup ACV

½-cup water

1 tsp molasses

¼-cup brown sugar

¼-cup sugar

2 tbsp paprika

1 tsp onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

â…“ tsp fresh ground black pepper

½ tsp chili powder

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tsp dry mustard

1 bay leaf

2 hugs from your love

1 "Atta’boy!" for yourself

Howyadoit -

Mix it all up in a saucepan with a whisk and get it to a boil and let it boil for ½ of a vodka drink on a weeknight. After that you can get it lower to a simmer for a few drinks, stirring it each time you refill your vodka drink.

After that, sample it up and add what ya need to. It tasted pretty good I thought, with a nice sweet opener, and a solid spicy finish. My bro-in-law pointed something out though and I had to agree once I tried it again - there was nothing in the middle. You got your sweet then it simply went flat until you got spicy. So I will probably keep tweaking it until it’s perfect or I’ll just give up, whichever comes first. Definately needs more ketchup or sugar or something though. Mo sweet betta! Let me know what ya come up with!

I only have two more bottles of LAVA. Maybe good for some Bolognese . . . .?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210603_125626257.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1040539

*If you don’t have a quality bloody mary mix I imagine you can substitute something along the lines of the following, but feel free to tweak it:

1 ½-cup tomato juice (V-8, Campbells, make your own, etc.)

½-cup pureed tomatoes or paste

2 tbsp worcestershire

1 tsp salt

1 tsp lemon juice

2 tbsp hot sauce (or to taste)

Name:	IMG_20210603_125644423.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1040540

Name:	IMG_20210603_125655649.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1040541

Name:	IMG_20210603_160511204.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1040538

Tough situations inspire ingenuity and creativity,,,,,
    Good job right there

Comment

Necessity is a mother of an invention!

Comment

While I applaud your ingenuity, I would also point out that, especially when you are using it on pulled pork, there are a LOT of recipes out there that are basically vinegar and dried peppers. I sneak in a batch of that every once in a while even though my Kansas City wife considers it sacrilege. But since she mostly stays out of the kitchen, I can hide things pretty effectively in the fridge.

Comment

Wow, a new BBQ Sauce. Great job!
          You done good. Now on to market.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here