Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe

I thought I would share the recipe I've been using, which is adapted from several generic no-knead bread recipes I stumbled across, most of which seem to refer back to a recipe published in The NY Times about 20 years ago. I've adapted it for a 5 quart dutch oven, versus the 3 quart called for in the original recipe.

No Knead Bread

Adapted from https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-bread/

Prep Time ~ 5 mins
    Cook Time ~ 50 mins
    Resting Time ~ 18 hrs
    Total Time ~ 18 hrs 55 mins

Equipment
    Ingredients
    • 4.5 cups all-purpose flour (I prefer King Arthur All Purpose Flour)
    • 2 3/4 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp active dry yeast (I use Fleishmann's from a jar I keep in the fridge)
    • 2 1/4 cups water room temperature

Instructions
    1. In a big bowl mix all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast) together.
    2. Add the water, and combine using a spatula or wooden spoon, until mixed thoroughly.
    3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter to rise for 12 to 18 hours. I've gone as long as 24 without ill effects.
    4. Put the cast iron Dutch Oven into your indoor oven or on your smoker/grill, and preheat the cooker and Dutch Oven to 450F, with indirect heat. I usually let it preheat for 20-30 minutes. If using the oven, just turn it on, and once it reaches 450F, give it a few more minutes and the Dutch Oven should the ready as well.
    5. Remove the preheated Dutch Oven from the smoker or oven, and remove the lid.
    6. Flour your hands really well and sprinkle some flour over the dough in the bowl, and a little in the bottom of the dutch oven. Use your hands to separate the dough from the walls of the bowl - it will be sticky, and form into a ball as best you can. Don't worry about it being a perfect ball - this is "artisan" bread after all! I used to spread flour on the counter and try to get a perfect ball - don't sweat it, and just go from the bowl to the Dutch Oven, to keep the mess to a minimum.
    7. Drop the ball of dough into the pot, put the lid on, and put it back into the oven or smoker.
    8. Bake the bread for 30 minutes with the lid on.
    9. Remove the lid, and bake for another 20 with the lid off.
    10. Check the bread with an instant read thermometer, such as a Thermapop or Thermapen, and if it is around 200F, the bread is done.
    11. Pull the Dutch Oven from the cooker using insulated gloves or a potholder, and turn upside down to drop the bread into a pan or plate, or use tongs or spatulas to remove from the pot. It should come out easily.
    12. Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
    Notes

If your cooker is not at 450F, you will need to adjust cooking times longer or shorter, as appropriate. I make this using a well seasoned Lodge 5 quart Dutch Oven (Lodge #L8DO3 - not porcelain coated), and don't oil before the cook, and the bread never sticks. I apply a light coat of vegetable oil after rinsing the pot well after use, prior to putting in away, but that is about it. I've made this recipe now in my indoor electric oven, on my Weber Performer Deluxe, and on my Weber Genesis II using indirect heat.

Adjust this recipe appropriately if you have a larger or smaller Dutch Oven.

Note that you can use this recipe to make regular loaves of bread too, rather than boule. I've done that by making the recipe, splitting it after the 12 to 18 hour rise into 2 parts, and making two oblong loaves, and cooking them on an open sheet pan in the oven, on parchment paper. It makes a nice crusty style French bread. If doing it that way, cooking time is about 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_118390.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	950182Click image for larger version  Name:	image_118391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	950181
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 4, 2020, 08:44 AM.

Thanks for this updated version. Question: have you tried baking this in loaf pans?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the same version, I just reposted it over here in the new recipes section. It is sized for a 5 quart Dutch Oven, and is about 1.5 times the original recipe.

I have only done it by making 2 or 3 small oblong loaves on a sheet pan. I preheated the pan as well, along with the oven, then slid parchment paper with the loaves onto the hot pan. Otherwise, you don't get much of a crust on the bottom. If you try it, let me know how it works out, and post a picture of the loaf!
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 4, 2020, 10:41 AM.

Same recipie I use. Very good bread.

Comment

If you like rye bread, you can also do it no-knead by substituting some rye flour for the white and adding 1 tbs (for 3 cups flour) of caraway seeds. I make a 3 cup of flour version in my 5 qt and use 2.5 cups of white and .5 cup of rye.

I also do a whole wheat version that is a little sweet: 2 cups white, 1 cup whole wheat and 1/4 cup of sugar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rye9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	950256

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Most people equate rye bread with caraway. That is not the case. I have found by baking and buying that rye is not what most people think. I have made several recipes from the book "The Rye Baker" and that is not a book that most people would appreciate, and the breads also. At least outside of northern Europe.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m going to try this next time. Love seeded rye bread.

For those who want a smaller boule or enough to make one or two smaller loaves of French style bread, here is the adjusted ingredients for a 3 cup of flour version. All steps and cooking instructions remain the same.

Ingredients
      • 3 cups all-purpose flour (I prefer King Arthur All Purpose Flour)
      • 1 3/4 tsp salt
      • 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (I use Fleishmann's from a jar I keep in the fridge)
      • 1 1/2 cups water room temperature
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 5, 2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

That jocooks.com webpage? If you click on "metric" instead of "US" units, you'll see that the conversion is way off.

The US units has a hydration ratio (ratio of water to flour) of 75%. If you click the "metric" conversion, the hydration ratio is close to 100%. Don't use that particular webpage's "metric" button.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know!

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          4.5 cups flour x 120 grams flour per cup = 540 grams
          2.25 cups water x 227 grams water per cup = 533 grams
          Hydration ratio just under 100% for recipe as written by jfmorris above.

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          johnec00 Thanks. You're right, I was wrong. I wonder where I got that 75% hydration ratio. That said, 100% hydration is very high. I typically keep the hydration ratio less than that for no-knead no-shaping bread (depending on flour, timing, and desired crumb, somewhere in the range of 70-85%).

Thanks for the recipe. Just made a batch to bake tomorrow. I used to make a lot of bread but its been ages. This seems perfect to get back into it.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I really had not gotten into bread since a sour dough starter died in the early 90's, myself. I started this past year because of making pizza dough, then found this recipe, which is drop dead simple. I love that it is 4 simple ingredients - flour, salt, yeast and water.

I would eat that!

Comment

This worked great. Super easy. I did it in two loaf pans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADCBDF71-2709-4CA4-B9F7-EC32234DCAAA.jpeg
Views:	604
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	951481

Comment

This is for those who are confused about hydration levels when doing a conversion of this recipe to metric (@johnec00 and @RobertC)...

Going by weight of water divided by weight of flour, and not counting yeast and salt, I calculate this recipe's hydration level at around 94.6%. Going by some hydration level charts I find online (https://www.craftybaking.com/howto/h...20airy%20crumb.) that is appropriate for this type of "rustic" no-knead bread dough.
            Last edited by jfmorris; December 6, 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not confused at all. "A pint's a pound" is an approximation that leads to 2.25 cups of water weighing 511 grams and a hydration of 94.6%. Minor detail, but incorrect, the actual weight of a pint of water is 473.18 grams, or 532.33 grams per 2.25 cups. Hydration of the recipe is 98.6%, and the jocooks recipe linked in your post is correct in volume and metric units. 511 grams per pint is often used, including in some KA conversions, but technically the jocooks recipe conversion is accurate.

I did this last week, but used a similiar recipe from the Le Crueset web-site. First time that I've ever baked bread, (other than Beer, or Irish Soda bread), and it turned out great!

didn't weigh anything and used instant yeast, (you need to reduce the amount by half when substituting for active yeast), and the resting time isn't nearly as long. It took 4 hours to rise and then another hour to rise, after you stick it in the Dutch oven before baking.

I'm going to bake another loaf, but will add some chopped rosemary.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good! But.... the dutch oven techniques I've read, including this recipe, have you drop the dough into a preheated HOT dutch oven. Not easy to do that if you put it in an hour before baking... I am going to guess you had a softer crust if the dutch oven wasn't preheated, which is great if that is what you are shooting for.

jfmorris the Le Crueset recipe does not call for a preheated Dutch oven and the crust was perfectly crunchy. TBH, I didn't look at other Dutch oven no-knead recipes, after reading the one on their site. You're response has me intrigued. Now I'm going to have try one of those other recipes. Not that I really needed an excuse! Thanks!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              And I will need to investigate this recipe from the Le Crueset website! Time to bake some bread!

FIrst try for this recipe

Name:	IMG_1823.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1199567

Comment

• captainlee
              captainlee commented
              Editing a comment
              Works great doesn't it !!!!! Nice job.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good! And it doesn't get much easier than this recipe either...

Since this just pppped up...

The idea of using a preheated dutch oven is to surround the dough with a hot environment that is the same temp as the oven. Using a non heated container will mean your oven needs to warm the dutch oven first. It will take longer but more important.... the preheated DO that you immediately cover gives off a rapid rise and a burst of steam. The latter will result in a firmer crust, the former will give rapid oven spring.

The lodge combo cooker is another approach and easier to manage since you're not trying to place dough in a DO with sides at 425 or whatever. Ouch.

On hydration - this is why i avoid recipes with volume measurements

Comment

Thank you mgaretz for the inspiration. Did a rye version. Sliced a tiny bit off as a taster. Stay tuned for more pictures. Patty melts on the menu tomorrow!

Name:	C614BDF1-F6AE-42C8-A4A1-5C7E5EC80900.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1201295

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here