Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Knead Dutch Oven Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've followed this same basic recipe for "whole wheat" bread, but find that you don't get great results with 100% whole wheat flour. I don't think it has enough gluten or something, and you need a mix. I've also lately dropped down to the 3 cup recipe I posted in #5 above, since I'm feeding fewer people these days.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      I like about one third of the flour as whole wheat. I also like to chuck in a couple of tablespoons of sunflower seeds (shelled, of course).

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris funny you should say that. The person who wrote this recipe specifically said that it does not work well with all whole wheat. But did suggest up to 1 cup white whole wheat.

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't go much over 20% whole wheat unless you're willing to do some stretch & folds. It also depends on the whole wheat flour you're using, flour with more bran needs more hydration and doesn't work as well in a no-knead bread, even with a high protein content.

Slices deeper into the round. The patty melt is only showcasing the bread. Not my best patty melt, though. Too thick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A713F1A8-70E6-4978-9FDD-537E42884FFC.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1201804

Name:	47BC8D23-48F4-4BD7-875E-64396BF88052.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1201803

Comment

So, If I use a larger dutch oven will the bread just come out thinner. And I'm guessing that I'll have to adjust cooking times

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the same cooking times for the 3 cup and 4.5 cup versions I posted.

I did the smaller batch this week, and it did not spread out and flatten as much as expected, and never touched the sides of the dutch oven.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris same for me. I used a small Dutch oven. My loaves never reached the sides. I’m thinking my next loaf will be full recipe. I halved it because we don’t eat bread fast enough.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        @ShielaAnn I often just form the dough into one or two "french bread" style shapes (depending on how big a batch I am making), on parchment paper, slash the top several times, and slide that onto a preheated sheet pan that has been heating in the oven, and a pour a quart of hot/boiling water in a preheated pan on the bottom rack. Cooking time drops to just 30 minutes when I do that, and it is still pretty crusty.
        Last edited by jfmorris; April 9, 2022, 07:11 AM.

Well, the bread went in. My dough seemed too wet. Not sure why. Thought I followed directions closely. We'll see what happens

Comment

Here we are. Definitely has a crust . So, I checked the bread 6 minutes early and it was reading 203 degrees already.so I pulled it out. I know baking is somewhat of a science so I'm going to guess at my mistakes and you guys can tell me if I'm right. First of all the dough seemed slightly wet. A little too much water or not mixed thoroughly? Second, and probably the biggest, I trusted the temp reading on the oven instead of hooking my Smoke probe to the grate. I placed it in a 9 qt. Dutch oven because that was all I have. Did the loaf thin out too much and I should have decreased cooking time?

Name:	20220409_103422.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1204045 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220409_114958.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1204046

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Imho, you nailed it. It is a very wet dough and with practice, you will get better at handling it. Crumb looks great. Crust looks great, too. Yeah, if you had a smaller DO, the loaf would be a little taller. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes - the crumb looks great on that - lots of pockets in the bread. My last batch came out too dense, but I delayed an entire day and put the bowl of dough in the fridge overnight.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here