Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My simple sourdough recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My simple sourdough recipes

I'm inspired by My bread, or Pizza thread of Richard Chrz to share my recipes here. It will be a thread of a different sort, though. I'm just going to post the handful of recipes and notes I've jotted down for my own reference. If I remember to take some pics and post them, consider that a miracle. But I'm going to post my handful of go-to recipes.
    • I've only been baking regularly since 2019. So I'm not an expert. But I'm a creature of habit - when I find something that works I tend to just stick with it. So you'll see these are pretty basic recipes - nothing fancy. And I've baked these same variations over and over for the past 3 years.
    • And I don't mind trying and failing a few times on the path to finding what works for me. So take this all for what it's worth, but I figure I should share back with this community that helped me get started.
    • I'm not sure how much of this will come through in the recipes and notes, but much of my cooking is oriented to clean, chemical-free cooking for my son who has issues with toxins, rancidity, or various additives. We have to be pretty careful. So I actually mill my own flour and then sift it to make it more like regular flour and less like whole grain. So you might need to do your own trial and error to adapt these to whatever flour you are using.
    • And I use Imperial measurements, not metric, in such round numbers that once you learn it you never have to go back and look.
    • Anywhere salt is mentioned, my measurements are with coarse kosher salt.

First recipe to follow now, and I'll post more as I get a chance.
    Last edited by radshop; March 10, 2022, 04:35 PM.

First recipe - the one I use most:

Sourdough 2 pound loaf - also makes 3 pizza crusts

Ingredients
    • 6 oz of 50/50 leaven
    • 16 oz flour
    • 10 oz water
    • 2 tsp salt
    Preparation
    • Grind about 2 pounds of wheat and sift
    • Mix 6+ ounces of leaven
    • Mix the flour and water to autolyse while the leaven ferments
    Mixing and folding
    • Mix the salt and leaven into the flour/water dough ball and knead very thoroughly
    • Put in a covered bowl
    • Stretch and fold about 4-5 times at 15-20 min intervals
    • Add water or flour to adjust wetness
    Fermentation
    • Ferment covered for 8-12 hours until doubled in size
    For Pizza
    • Divide
    • Stretch & shape
    • Final rise for 5-8 hours
    For Bread
    • Shaping and proofing
      • Stretch and fold on wet cutting board and form loaf shape by hand
      • Rest 20-30 minutes under bowl on the cutting board
      • Prep the proofing basket
      • Shape into loaf with scraper on the dry cutting board and put into proofing basket
      • Proof 20-40 minutes covered
    • Baking
      • Preheat dutch oven to 490-500 F
      • Bake covered 25 minutes
      • Remove cover and bake 10-15 min

Comment

Notes on the 2-pound recipe:
      • I found that mixing the flour and water to autolyse didn't really add enough benefit to make it worthwhile, so I don't do that now. I had to think ahead more. And it also meant I had to blend the leaven into the doughball, which violates my laziness commitment.
      • My revised technique is so simple:
        • Put the water in the bowl and add the salt. Swirl it a bit to dissolve, but doesn't have to be perfect.
        • Add the leaven and swirl it around a little bit, too.
        • Add the flour
        • Mix thoroughly
      • It's possible to accelerate the timing of this, especially for pizza dough which is bit more forgiving than baking bread.
        • You just have to use warm water on the initial mix and then also set the bowl in a pot of warm water for the bulk fermentation.
        • As long as I have the leaven started the night before, I can mix the dough first thing on a Saturday morning and have pizzas in the Ooni for dinner. Sometimes I even find myself putting the doughballs in the fridge for bit in the afternoon so the rise doesn't overshoot by the time guests arrive. Just make sure you take it out in time for the dough to be room temp before you start making pizza crusts - makes it a lot easer to work.

Comment

This is another one that I make a lot:

6 Sandwich Buns

DRY INGREDIENTS
        • 11 oz flour (regular flour, can also include potato, rye, etc.)
        • 2 Tbsp powdered milk
        • 1/2 Tbsp salt (less if butter is salted)
        • 1 Tbsp sugar
        WET INGREDIENTS
        • 6oz water
        • 6 oz sourdough starter
        • 3 Tbsp softened butter (add after initial mix)
        PREP
        • Stretch & fold
        • Bulk Ferment until doubles
        • Divide (~4 oz each)
        • Rise about 4 hours
        BAKE
        • Preheat 375 F
        • Brush with egg yolk & water mixture
        • Bake 20-25 minutes to 190 F internal

Comment

I notice a lot of sourdough recipes are set up to make 2 loaves, and of course I can double my recipes to do that. But usually I just want 1 loaf. I have 2 recipes laid out - the 1 at the top is my smaller 2-pound loaf, and I also do a 3-pounder. Ingredients here. Everything else the same as the 2-pound loaf above.

3 pound loaf
          • 8 oz of 50/50 leaven
          • 24 oz flour
          • 16 oz water
          • 1 Tbsp salt

Comment

So I guess that's it - those are my sourdough recipes. Not as fancy as a lot of you folks but works for me.

Comment

Bonus non-sourdough recipe.

Bannock fried bread
              • 2 cups flour
              • 2 tsp baking powder
              • 1/2 tsp salt
              • 1 cup ice water

Mix lightly
              Drop into warm greased skillet or griddle
              Flatten to 1 inch
              Cook until bottom crusts
              Flip and cook until other side crusts

Note
              This was a favorite of me and my brothers growing up. We were told by somebody that it's Indian (as in Native American) bread. Which doesn't make sense because they didn't have baking powder back in the day.
              It also doesn't make sense because bannock is a Scottish word referring to the baking stones they cook bannock on and is referred to in a lot of Scottish literature. So my grandma probably got it from the Scots/Irish side of her family.
              Last edited by radshop; March 10, 2022, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Another non-sourdough bonus. Pretty sure this is my last one.

Grandma's Baking Powder Biscuits
                • 2 cups flour
                • 1/2 tsp salt
                • 1 Tbsp baking powder
                • 1 tsp sugar (optional - I prefer without)
                • 1/3 cup oil/butter/lard
                • 2/3 cup milk
                Prep
                • Combine dry ingredients
                • Mix shortening into flour
                • Add milk
                • For fluffy biscuits, do minimum mixing and kneading and drop in 6-8 lumps on greased pan.
                • For flaky biscuits, press dough on floured surface. Fold. Repeat a bunch of times. Cut with 2-inch cutter and place on lightly greased pan.
                Bake
                • 425 F
                • Check after 12 minutes, but may take 15-20

Comment

How did I miss this first time through? Thanks for the recipes!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here