Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best biscuits I have made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best biscuits I have made

Our Son is coming home for Christmas and bringing his new girlfriend. They have been together for over a year now, but because of Covid, we have not met her.

His one request for me to cook is sausage, gravy, and biscuits. So I decided that it was time for me to up my biscuit game. After much online research I decided to try the recipe linked below, and I'm glad I did 'cause I don't remember ever having better biscuits. Pleas note that I'm not saying these are the best biscuits, but just the best ones I have had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211202_181207[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,022.4 KB ID:	1136822

A few tips:

Keep everything cold. I measured out the flour, put it in a bowl and covered it the night before. Then I place it in the refrigerator. I don't know how much this helped, but it didn't hurt.

I froze the butter and grated it with a coarse grater.

Light brown is what you want. Dark brown means dry biscuits.

Be gentle - veeery gentle.
    Last edited by RonB; December 4, 2021, 08:19 AM.

Grating the butter is definitely a key to flaky biscuits. Meathead has a good recipe featuring that over on the free side.

Your biscuits look amazing.

Kathryn

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      when a gal says your biscuits are amazing, you should blush!

Some good rise there out of those biscuits! I miss me a good biscuit! It’s one item I don’t think I have ever seen available as gluten free. These make me want to search a bit! And I love the grating technique for the butter!

enjoy those biscuits, especially with gravy and sausage! That is one of my son’s favorite meals as well!

Comment

There goes my low carb diet.
    Thanks for post.

Comment

Neat vid, I've never considered grating the butter either, I cut it into 1/4 inch squares.
      I was buying buttermilk now I make my own by adding 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk.
      Also stared adding a level tsp of baking soda to react with the buttermilk and help with the biscuits rising.
      There's a thread on here where I started to experiment with better biscuit recipes.

Comment

RonB Those look great! Thanks for the post.

Which sausage do you use? Jimmy Dean's Traditional is my favorite. They also have spicy and sage varieties. I am not a fan of Farmer John's- they came out too thin and hard.

Any tips on gravy making? I assume you make a roux with flour in the grease, heat it, then add milk. Can you add any details? I usually just go without the gravy because I'm not sure how to make it.

I started putting about a half a large egg (scrambled a bunch together first) into a large muffin tin and baking at 350 for 15 minutes or until set. Then add a little cheese while they cool and now you have a sausage egg and cheese biscuit. Yumm! Game day favorite

Oh, one last thing- I found this recipe after buying some bitters to make an Old Fashioned and/or Sazerac cocktail. I never for a moment considered adding bitters to biscuits, but may give it a go.
        http://https://angosturabitters.com/food/better-biscuits-bitters/
        Last edited by Bruceski44; December 4, 2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I make my own breakfast sausage - no stuffing in casings required.
          With the whole hog sausage the food nazis forced us into years ago, it's hard to get enough
          grease to make much gravy. If there's not enough grease, I think I'm gonna try adding a bit of butter.
          For gravy, I add flour until all the grease is absorbed, but not dry. I brown that a bit and then add milk a little at a time until it starts to look like gravy. You can add more milk until you reach the consistency you like, or cook
          Last edited by RonB; December 4, 2021, 05:22 PM.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          it down to the thickness you like if you added too much milk.

Those look really good!

I had remembered reading this article a while back and found it very interesting

Comment

Those look mighty fine to me. Best I ever made was from a recipe from Bob Evans. I was surprised they put their recipe on line.

Comment

Those look great. Much better than what I had at a restaurant recently... their biscuits were more like cake and the gravy sucked - bland and not enogh meat or meat flavor. I was really dissapointed because I only order that about once a year and don't make it at home. Enjoy!!

Comment

I like the format of his video, with the hints of science... but all I can hear is Sheldon teaching me how to make biscuits, and I was waiting for an interlude about flags

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL! I hope he checked the label and used the correct measuring cup. This really does sound like Sheldon giving a lecture on his mom's biscuit recipe.

Very nice!

Comment

Enjoyed!!

Comment

Those sure look good. The link you shared has all the tips for making great biscuits.

I like biscuits made with butter, but the most tender off all biscuits are made with lard. The added benefit is the flavor. The stuff I get is from a farmers market and isn't hydrogenated and has no additives.
                  Last edited by Bkhuna; December 5, 2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Nice! Ive been on a biscuit kick lately, nothing better than a perfectly cooked biscuit. 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here