Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread Recipe using Kitchenaid Dough Hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread Recipe using Kitchenaid Dough Hook

For the past year and a half, my wife has been making a no-knead bread about twice a week. She just got a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer for Mothers Day. Due to arthritis in her hands, she would like to try a bread recipe using the dough hook that came with the mixer. Does anyone have a recipe that calls for using a mixer and dough hook? Or any recommendations on how to adjust a no-knead recipe to use the hook?

Here are a couple:

There is nothing like the aroma of homemade bread baking in your house. This bread makes great toast, and can also serve as a quick breakfast for the kids to grab on their way to school.

Welcome to Lumnah Acres! We are modern homesteaders that purchased a large piece of raw land with dreams of turning it into our off-grid dream property. From constructing out home, to building our farm, growing and raising our own food, and so much more. Our adventure is sure to captivate you and inspire you!

But I use mine regularly in place of hand kneading in other bread recipes. Just watch the dough texture. DISCLAIMER: Not a bread expert!

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

You probably already know this but just wanted to mention it.
    When mixing the flour, salt and yeast with the water in the mixer bowl, do not use the dough hook, use the paddle instead. Only use the dough hook for the kneading after it has completed its first rise and is actual dough.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't tried it yet. Thanks, we will keep this in mind.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Don, but I respectfully have to disagree. I use the paddle to mix the dry ingredients and the hook when I add liquids. At King Arthur Flour, they don't even bother with the paddle for most bread recipes. If you watch videos by most of the big names in baking, they only use the
      hook.

Edit to add that what matters is what works for you, so if you are happy with your method, I'm not suggesting that you change.
      Last edited by RonB; May 7, 2021, 01:46 PM.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB I follow the King Arthur videos and lesson too. However, what I have found, at least when I do it, is that with just using the dough hook you can get pockets of flour that doesn’t get properly hydrated. When you bake, you can get little hard pockets of flour with the consistency of marbles. If you use the paddle first for all mixing those never happen.

I've used the hook for mixing. It works ok.The paddle is better, but the hook will work and I'm lazy.

Here's what I do:

1) measure out ingredients. Important - you want the dough temp to be about 75F or so. Given that your flour etc is likely cooler, you want your water to be about 90F. Not too hot or you kill the yeast. I grab water, measure it out and microwave it in 10-15 sec increments, checking with my Thermopop.

2) Dump them in kitchenaid bowl.

3) I use the hook and start it mixing on low or 2. If the recipe says to knead for, say, 8 minutes, I start looking at 5. The dough should become a pretty cohesive mass.

4) dump it all into a bowl that I've sprayed with Pam and let rise. I have a proofing box but if you don't, just cover it and put it somewhere warm.

Now... I fold the dough periodically as it goes through bulk ferment. Ken Forkish's video is a great How To on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQHuWDEo3SA. I do NOT punch down and let it re-rise. After it's done with bulk, I dump the dough out on a floured surface, preshape and then shape and put it in a basket to rise again (or in a bread pan).

Do note that he's doing a double batch of dough so uses a 12 quart cambro tub. I don't know how easy or hard this would be
    Last edited by rickgregory; May 7, 2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      jlazar Also, if she does want to fold or can't, then let the dough just rise and do what Donw mentions, use the dough hook to knead for a few minutes, then rise a second time.

The purpose of the folding is to build strength/gluten development. The first mixing wont do that by itself. So if she doesnt fold, she'll need that second kneading and then you definitely want to use the hook.
      Last edited by rickgregory; May 7, 2021, 01:23 PM.

King Arthur Flour is my go to when looking for baking recipes, but there are lots of well known bakers that have excellent tutorials.

If your wife wants a few recipes to choose from, there are ~ 1100 at KA:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/sea...d#recipe_index

If your wife clicks on "Learn" at the top of the page, it will take her to some helpful videos.

And they have a Hotline that you can call and ask questions.
    Last edited by RonB; May 7, 2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I use the dough hook to do all the bread and dough recipes I've tried that require kneading. That includes pizza dough, etc. I don't think we've even used the paddle for much of anything - we are either using the wire beater, or the dough hook. I think your wife is safe using it for about any bread recipe aside from no-knead.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100%. I do the same. The dough hook just simulates hand kneading. "They" say hand kneading is satisfying; I say it's a PITA!

This one uses the paddle and the hook. It is for ciabatta bread, which is a high hydration dough, as is no-knead:

(344) That's alotta Ciabatta! Start to Finish. - YouTube

Here's a good video on handling high hydration dough:

(344) 5 Tips: Working With High-Hydration Dough - YouTube

Comment

I use a dough hook on my kitchen aid, and have developed a way with hand pain, weakness and spasms , to do the following folds. It is my KA that does all the work that otherwise would keep me from making bread. Willing to answer questions. Also, I’m not an expert of any sort. Edited to add, the only real difference in majority of recipes used in a stand mixer vs hand mixed, is y0u need to figure the water temp 10 degrees less from the extra friction heat caused by a stand mixer over hand mixed
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 7, 2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
        Also, I’m not an expert of any sort.
        Bull. Your loaves are spectacular. 🥖
        Last edited by rickgregory; May 7, 2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          While I truly appreciate the kind words, and I do! I have only been making bread for less then 2 years, and have only pursued a few various loaves so far. I like to think the expert has 10,000 hours of this. I also make good q, but I’m not a pitmaster, I’m a guy that has somewhat figured out the Weber kettle and how to set it up for what I want. But no expert.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 7, 2021, 07:19 PM.

Thanks for all the advice. My wife is still experimenting with what works best for her. This was her second attempt today using the dough hook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dough Hook Bread.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1028589
        ​
        This is her no-knead bread which she does without a mixer,

Name:	Bread.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1028590
        ​
        and her Cinnamon-Raisin Bread, also without a mixer.

Name:	Cinnamon Bread 2.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1028591

​​​​​​​​
        Last edited by jlazar; May 7, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          I used upload and insert. They show on my desktop and IPad. Will try a reload.
          Last edited by jlazar; May 7, 2021, 08:06 PM.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Showing here now. And great bake!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice lookin' breads.

Here is one that I like... it takes sourdough starter...

The crust of this sourdough loaf is deep mahogany, almost black, and the interior was soft and chewy, with large, irregular holes. The bread makes excellent sandwiches too!

Comment

So these two loaves are from a KA dough hook for the autolyse mixing, adding the levain, and adding salt, after that I do a few folds by hand, but I do it lay out on aboard, so it is literally stretch it out a bit, and then lightly fold it back together, I can not stretch and fold in a cambro. Plus, I don’t think that is healthy for the dough either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	78653BC7-EF02-45E9-9D84-55385EC7B8DF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.41 MB ID:	1028734
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 8, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Here is my Challah recipe:

3.25 cups of flour
            1 tbs yeast
            ¼ cup sugar
            1.25 (1 heaping) teaspoon salt
            3 large eggs
            ½ stick of butter
            ½ cup of water
            1 tbs water
            sesame seeds (optional)

Put all the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl of a stand mixer with the dough kneading attachment. Run on low for a minute to combine the ingredients.

Put the butter in the 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. Microwave on 50% power (Power level 5) for 1 to 1.5 minutes.

Separate the yolk from one egg, save the white. Add 1 tbs of water to the white. Put the yolk and the other two eggs in the measuring cup with the melted butter and add ½ cup of water. Stir to combine.

Pour into the mixing bowl and run the mixer on low until the dough forms a ball and then let it run another five minutes.

Lightly oil a large bowl. Form the dough into a ball and put in the bowl, turning it to coat it with oil. Cover and let rise until it is doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours. Punch down and let rise again until it’s doubled in size.

Punch down again. Separate the dough into as many equal parts as you want braids. Roll the dough into ropes and braid it. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Brush with the egg white mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

Bake in a 375F oven until golden, about 35 minutes.

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here