Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Yakitori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Yakitori

Made Chicken Yakitori on the WSCG. I used fire bricks from Home Depot to create something similar to a traditional Japanese Konro Grill. Followed the recipe in Barbecue Bible. Served over rice with asparagus. I always reserve some of the sauce to spoon over the chicken as it sits on the rice.

Yakitori (literally grilled chicken) is Japan’s most popular snack—enjoyed daily at innumerable yakitori parlors, where office workers gather after work for drinks, eats, and camaraderie. (To read ...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Glory; October 18, 2020, 04:50 AM.

Those look great. My preference is using thighs for "Sosaties". Nice cook Sir.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I agree those are thighs.

Very nice! The bricks sure create a Konro grill, nice way of using the WSCG.

Comment

We use that recipe and technique as well and love it.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	925464

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look great!

That looks mighty good - thanx.

Comment

Love the bricks added in! Great cook!

Comment

Is the recipe a members only thing? The recipe page doesn't come up for me, just the main home page.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            58limited I have the same experience. Only subscribers can access the recipes on that site.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            I copied and pasted it below.

Big fan of yakitori after being stationed in Japan for over 13 years. After a night of running the streets and passing just about any train station you were all but gauranteed to pass a Yakitori or Yakisoba stand.
          Old Glory and hoovarmin sure looks like you gave Yakitori justice. Great Job!!!
          Trying to dig up a recipe that our filipina house girl gave my mother when as a child we were stationed at Clark AB or a somewhat simplified recipe of the same thing that a Filipino EMCS that worked for me passed along. For any of you Fleet Sailors, FMF, or AF types that passed thru PI or were station dito would most likely remember MMOAS aka "Monkey Meat On A Stick" Have a beef variant that does not use Mafran. There are multiple pork variants on the web. If I find it and if any intetest I will post it.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tie! I would love to see your recipes.

Great job. Love Yakitori and great job on the pics.

Comment

Here's the recipe. Seems like he has several different versions. I used the one from the book and just googled the link above didn't know there was a pay wall. I adjusted the internet version to follow the printed version.

Ingredients

For the Yakitori
            • 2bunchesscallions, trimmed
            • 1½pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used Thighs)

For the Yakitori Sauce
            • 1/2 cup soy sauce
            • 3 TBs sugar
            • 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
            • 1/2 Sake
            • 3 cloves garlic, gently crushed with the side of a cleaver
            • 3 slices peeled fresh ginger (¼inch thick), gently crushed with the side of a cleaver

You’ll Need
            • a bunch of slender bamboo skewers, soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover, then drained, or more as needed

Method
            • Trim any sinews or excess fat off the chicken breasts and discard. Rinse the chicken breasts under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Cut the scallions and chicken breasts into uniform 1½-inch pieces and skewer on bamboo sticks alternating scallion and chicken (I ran out of scallion so I used yellow onion - just as good). Refrigerate, covered, until ready to grill.
            • Prepare the yakitori sauce: Place the soy sauce, sugar, mirin, Sake, garlic, ginger, in a nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Let the sauce simmer until thick and syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. Strain the sauce into a nonreactive bowl and let cool to room temperature. Set some aside to serve as a dipping sauce, if desired.
            • Set up the grill or hibachi for direct grilling ( for charcoal or for gas) and preheat to high. When ready to grill, brush and oil the grill grate. Place the yakitori at the edge of the hot grate so that the skewers are away from the heat. Grill the yakitori, turning after 2 minutes, to cook the outside of the meat. Begin basting with the sauce, and continue basting and turning until the chicken is cooked, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Alternatively, put the sauce in a shallow dish. When partially cooked, dip the yakitori in the sauce and continue grilling. The sauce should cook to a shiny glaze and the meat should feel firm to the touch when done.
            • Transfer the yakitori to plates or a platter and sprinkle with the scallion rings and sesame seeds. Although it’s not strictly traditional, I like to serve a little reserved glaze in a tiny bowl as a dipping sauce.

Last edited by Old Glory; October 18, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on the thighs

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              Old Glory thanks for posting this!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              This is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!

I love yakitory.

Name:	20180501_192758.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	925558

Name:	20191127_183722.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	925559

Name:	20200729_203100.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	925560

Name:	IMG_20180501_201024_643.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	925561

Name:	20180506_185009.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	925562

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              You know, hoovarmin, I don't think it have. I've stuck to the traditional ingredients. I've used that Raichlen recipe several times.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I also will make a big batch of tare and put the leftover in a mason jar in the fridge. Then I'll bring it to a boil before I use it next time.

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great! I'm definitely doing mushrooms next time.

well done

Comment

Great work! While chicken is traditional yakitori, play around with other items too. We have done king trumpet mushrooms, pork belly, short rib. Also, if you want to spend the money, try and find binchotan. Japanese white oak. The flavor is amazing!

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                I definitely want to try that!

Nice,,,,,
              so good I would eat them all !!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here