Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Smoked Gochujang Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Smoked Gochujang Chicken

This was based off a Bon Appetite recipe that I decided needed a little smoke. So good. The smashed potatoes were a nice touch and as always I love the Korean flavors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_163159.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	807477

Name:	20200223_184939.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	807475

Name:	20200223_193908.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	807473

Name:	20200223_194948.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	807476

Name:	20200223_200306.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	807472

Name:	20200223_200612.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	807474

It won’t let me leave a comment, so here goes.....GORGEOUS!!!

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't comment on the first post in a thread, I believe...

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a little sleepy when I posted that, I thought I was in the SUWYC post. Oh well, chalk it up to old age 🤪

Man..........oh man......

Googled it and the Bon Appetite was the first one up. I go grocery shopping tonight. Might have to get a couple cornish since it's just me.

Comment

After dinner I threw the carcass, bones, some frozen veggie scraps, frozen Thai chilies, and frozen shrimp that was getting long in the tooth into the instant pot for an overnight stock. Later this week I'll turn that into a Tom Ka Gai shrimp soup.
      Last edited by Attjack; February 24, 2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Mmmm..... love me some gochujang. That’s amazing looking chicken.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

This cook and those wonderful photos should go in the SUWYC Hall of Fame. You should put up a poll to see how many people follow your lead and cook this. It sounds amazing and looks even better. Thank you, Attjack . I always enjoy seeing your posts.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for this. I'm sure mine won't be as pretty, but I bookmarked the recipe.

Comment

That looks wonderful.

Comment

I need to try gochujang again. The first time I used it (on some pork tenderloins) I used way too much. Overpowering, but really awesome flavor. I need to remember you're just trying to rub it on the meat, not encase it in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
                    I need to try gochujang again. The first time I used it (on some pork tenderloins) I used way too much. Overpowering, but really awesome flavor. I need to remember you're just trying to rub it on the meat, not encase it in it.
                    If you look up the original Bon Appetit recipe you'll notice that they mix it with oil to make it a brushable paste (https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sl...hujang-chicken) so you get coverage without it being overwhelming.
                    Last edited by rickgregory; February 24, 2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Attack...if I may ask...how would you rate the potatoes? I was thinking of hanging the chicken in the PBC rather than smoke roasted over the potatoes. But if you were to say the potatoes fixed in this manner were integral to the meal, I might have to change my plan...

Comment

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The potatoes were awesome. I smashed them and they soaked up all the fat, gochujang, lime juice, and honey. But it would still be good in your PBC you would just not get that side dish. If you go that route you can cut the gochujang sauce in half because half was for the chicken and half was for the potatoes.

Well look at what I found in my little 'ol grocery store:

Name:	20200224_135946.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	807842

Comment

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        jfmorris is right but it'll work this time:

"Gochujang is a red-colored paste made from Korean chilli peppers, fermented soybeans, and salt. It is the lifeblood of Korean food and dishes. Gochujang sauce is a modified version of gochujang, where gochujang paste is mixed with other ingredients to create a smoother consistency and even more flavor."

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        jfmorris the stuff on the right does not have corn syrup and is definitely more of a chili paste. The stuff on the left doesn't either but definitely sweeter, like a spicy KC BBQ sauce. I wonder if consistency makes a whole lot of difference. The one on the right was recommended by a Korean woman who makes her own at home. It's currently on a big 'ol bird taking up smoke on Spartacus.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would use the one on the right, the paste, for the recipe. Use the sweeter one as a condiment.

I learned about gochujang from another post here and it has become one f our favorite condiments. This looks excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                        Well look at what I found in my little 'ol grocery store:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200224_135946.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	807842
                        Those are great for condiment usage. The one on the right is a brand that I most often find at major supermarkets. They also sell tubs which are great for making sauces etc. I always stock both.

Click image for larger version  Name:	81qnef7GE0L._SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.2 KB ID:	807858

Here's another Korean product I've recently acquired. It's called Doenjang and it's a fermented soybean paste. It's similar to miso.

"Miso is milder, smoother and sweeter. Korean Doenjang is stronger, sharper, deeper and more complex in its flavor profile."

Click image for larger version  Name:	91xrscOnjzL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	807859

Comment

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Will the ones I grabbed work in this recipe? There was a tub of Korean chili paste that looked very similar to what you're showing, but I didn't have my glasses and couldn't read the label.
                          Last edited by CaptainMike; February 24, 2020, 05:32 PM.

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          CaptainMike Oh, yeah that'll work fine. Same stuff. Just squeeze bottle vs tub.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here