Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my-"tag-along-w-panhead-john"-journey-has-begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I also am following in Panhead John 's footsteps.... FireMan really, since he is the first one I heard about the Wok Shop from.

Got my 14" Wok today. Apparently they were out of the flax oil I ordered, as it was crossed off on the packing list, but looks like they didn't charge me for it either. So I did two rounds in the oven with avocado oil on both inside and outside of the wok, then stir fried chives, onions and sliced ginger root in a couple table spoons of oil until they started getting charred, then wiped out after it cooled with hot water and the bamboo brush thingee I got with it.

Planning to make beef and broccoli tomorrow to break it in with some real food... and tossing the old 13.5" non-stick Walmart wok into the pile in the garage destined for the Goodwill or Salvation Army store.

I did not think to take a "pre-seasoning" photo! But I think this will be a good start on seasoning, considering it started shiny and bright...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7735.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1168861

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I just followed the Grace Young seasoning process. If I had looked more at the stuff in that Amazon review that JCBBQ linekd to above about bluing, I might have taken it out in the garage where I have a 105,000 BTU jet burner I use for brewing beer, and done the bluing process. Oh well. I'll keep on trucking this way. It will blacken more each time I use it.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Most important thing from here on out is cook man, cook!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks real good to my rookie eyes.

BTW, just got an announcement that Kenji’s Wok Book is gettin ready fer delivery mid March. If yer remotely interested git on the pre order list, it should be a real head banger.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm planning on borrowing my nephew's copy.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely on my radar

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      purchased. I do remember him saying back some time that a number of pre-order copies will be signed.

Looks great. You chose two great mentors....

Comment

jfmorris , I followed the Grace Young oven seasoning method as well, and it worked great. I use my wok quite often and have not had to re-season it, with almost a year of use. I lost that pretty bronze patina on the lower inside half of the wok with the first few cooks, many of which were for deep frying, but it retains its non-stick quality nonetheless.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 3, 2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

So JCBBQ Attjack FireMan fzxdoc and Panhead John what oils are you using for your wok-ing? I've got vegetable oil, avocado oil - my preferred for the griddle outdoors due to a high smoke point, and high quality EVOO (Cobram Estate Australian harvested in June 2021). I've not bought peanut oil in a long time, and know that many Chinese cooks prefer it...
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 3, 2022, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not an expert but I did buy my first wok in the late 90's. I reach for peanut oil for high heat. In 2020 I was having a hard time finding it and turned to canola. Now back to peanut.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for all the comments folks. I think I will keep on keeping on with avocado oil for my high heat stir fries in the wok, maybe buy some peanut oil, and use EVOO for lower heat sauté purposes. I made popcorn in a pot on the stove last night on med-high heat using EVOO and had no issues with it smoking.

I've not been a fan of canola oil for years, and only use vegetable oil if I want to deep fry, mostly as it is cheaper in the gallon size jugs I need for firing up the fryer.

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I use Avocado or grapeseed, for pretty much everything. Rapeseed oil, which is the unprocessed version of Canola oil is used in much of China, but impossible to find here in the US. Indian mustard seed oil is supposed to be a decent substitute. EVOO isn't really a cooking oil, and doesn't really fit flavor-wise with Asian food anyway.

fzxdoc As a general rule I try to avoid highly processed foods.

Comment

For health reasons I use avocado oil or olive (not evoo) oil. Do your research on seed oil (canola, palm, soy bean oil not sauce, peanut), it may surprise you.
        Last edited by FireMan; February 3, 2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Panhead John bro! Check out this guy’s YouTube. Hilarious.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome JC! LMAO….

Click image for larger version

Name:	A2757AF7-871E-4CE6-A717-DA5859448B9B.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1179605 Click image for larger version

Name:	7237C264-95F4-4349-9C2B-7DE9DC680432.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1179607 Click image for larger version

Name:	B442A67A-0A9F-4D9A-AABC-1CCDD16F8A89.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1179606

Made Char Siu pork, fried rice and bok choy. Everything tasted great but I definitely made too much rice for the size of my wok. It was still a little sticky. As far as I understand that’s not correct. The one picture shows the "order of operation" w all the ingredients in cooking order. I can’t believe I’ve never made fried rice before. Incredibly delicious, easy, and quick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here