Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my-"tag-along-w-panhead-john"-journey-has-begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "Tag Along w Panhead John" Journey has Begun

Click image for larger version

Name:	0E1FBB10-F110-4359-AC41-66F9CB8433A1.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1159196 Click image for larger version

Name:	6B3C2F8E-4A4A-4360-88DE-B6CE4B08D023.jpeg
Views:	472
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1159195 Good grief! The Wok Shop in San Francisco took over a month to send me my wok. Totally fine bc I wouldn’t have gotten around to using it till now anyway.

16” wok and tools. Now to figure out how to season it properly. Also, started reading this book.

I’m excited to learn and happy think I might have some quick and ez meals ahead of me.

Wow! 16" is pretty big on a stove I bet! That said, this is probably the size I need in the event weather won't let me go outside to use the flat top for a stir fry. I have an old 14" wok that the wife bought at Walmart or somewhere that is not carbon steel, but some type of non-stick.

Is that round bottom or flat bottom - it looks like it MIGHT have a little flat at the bottom, but its hard to tell in the picture. I guess the fact it is not tipping over is a clue...

I guess since the handles are wood, you cannot season in the oven, but just season by using it on the stove top?
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 14, 2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s round. I can remove the grates on my stove top so it’ll fit snugly and won’t tip.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully it’s not too big but I e got a burner that gets 22,000 or 25,000 BTUs so, fingers crossed, it works out.

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      The handle is easily removable.

Excellent! You are going to love that thing! I don’t recall how I seasoned mine??? But I think just layers of oil and then cooking something. I may have followed the Wok Shop guide even though my Wok didn’t come from them. I think I got it from Amazon and it’s only been a year but I just dont recall.

but just keep cooking in it, and a good time that some on here have given, don’t overcrowd the wok when cooking. Do things in batches and let the wok get back up to heat inbetween batches. Otherwise, it’s a wonderful way of cooking.

And what will your first Wok cook be? And last question how is that book? I’m interested in it. Kenji’s "The Wok" book is going to be released in March - I have it pre-ordered and can’t wait for it!

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I like the book a lot. I haven’t gotten to the recipes yet. Just the lore and part on seasoning. Seems like there are many ways to skin that cat.

Haven’t decided on the inaugural meal. I’ll keep you posted.

I’m also waiting on Kenji’s wok book. Been loving my wok. Got it maybe 8 months ago from Wok Shop. A 14 inch carbon steel model. Seasoned it a bunch but still needs more use to really build up the seasoning.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, mo use!

I've heard of using Flaxseed oil for seasoning cookware but haven't tried it yet

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to use flaxseed but it goes rancid easily.

Grace Young as a guest on the Leite's Culinaria podcast where the subject is wok's:

In this episode of our podcast, Talking With My Mouth Full, cookbook author Grace Young talks answers common wok-related cooking questions.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh! Thanks 🙏

JCBBQ I would season it like a cast iron pan, but on a grill to save on energy cost. Apply the oil of your choice with a paper towel. Then wipe it dry with another paper towel. Then on the grill at medium heat like about 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. I'd do this several times, like maybe 4 or 5 times. Spinaker may have more ideas for this.

What does it say in the book for seasoning?
    Last edited by lostclusters; January 14, 2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

JCBBQ Nice looking rig, I have one very similar. Good you got the matching chan and and ladle with it. Yea season it well and often to build up a good coating. I'm actually thinking about a wok series, I have my first recipe written. Tried it out and it was delish. Looking forward to see what you come up with as well. We've wok cooked for well over 4 decades now and love it !!!

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      So what size and type of wok do you go for? I.e. flat/round bottom, etc. I'm thinking I need something better than the Wallyworld non-stick 14" wok that has been in our pantry for the past 10-15 years.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris As I said above mine is very similar to the one he bought only a little bit deeper. I think it's like 15-16", had it for about 10 years so don't remember. I like a little bit of a flat bottom but what's important is often overlooked, a bit of a pounded or roughened surface on the sides. It allows you to hold your food above the hot part of the wok on the bottom. Had that told to me by a Chinese guy who sold me my first one years ago. Took about 25 years to wear that sucker out !!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      4 decades! Wow. Looking forward to your series. They’re always excellent 💪💪💪

I've been intrigued by the carbon steel woks from the Wok Shop for a couple of years now, since first seeing a link to them from FireMan if I am not mistaken. All I have right now is an old flat bottomed wok that my wife picked up years ago somewhere like Walmart, and it appears to be a non-stick coating. I always use wood or plastic utensils with it anyway. It's just under 14".

I just measured my stove, and the 14" size will fit on any burner, but if I moved up to the 16" size, I can only use it on the front of the stove, as the distance from center of the back burners to the tile backsplash behind the stove is only 7 inches - the 14" wok just touches the stones on the wall behind the stove.

As intriguing as the 16 inch size is, for doing a big stir fry when all the kids and their spouses are here, I would only do it inside if the weather is too inclement to stir fry on the giant Camp Chef flat top outside. So maybe I just need to upgrade to the 14" carbon steel. And then of course you start looking at accessories.... I got my shopping cart up over $80 real quick just now looking!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      A 14” wok is just fine, especially for who you are cooking for. You do not have to get wild & crazy with the cost in less you want to. My first one, yes I have two, I got at Walmart. My second at the wok shop. They are both carbon steel 14’s & they work beautifully. Grace Young says a inexpensive wok is just fine. I got the second instead of a 16. 2 14” are cheaper and if you will be doing big cooks it’s all you need. Winter time, all cooks are on my stove. The "secret" is in learning the tool.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan do you have those hand hammered type woks, or are they smooth? I see some folks saying that the hand hammered ones hold food better when you push it up onto the sides?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine are smooth. I haven’t noticed a problem. But, then I have never experienced a hammered one.

As others have mentioned, I use flax seed for all of my cast iron and carbon steel pans. It works for me.

I also have a 14” wok, and think this is a great size for 4-5 people. I think a 16” would be pretty big and hard to maneuver but maybe not. I also like my round bottom wok, but I have a gas stove with grates that hold this in place really well. The actual wok I have was from Amazon and is listed here and I think FireMan pointed me towards this wok. It’s unavailable at the moment, but there are others similar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works well, was cheap and is well built. My two utensils are from the Wok Shop, as those came as a gift from a friend. They seem to put out great products.
    Last edited by barelfly; January 14, 2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it might be a bear to handle. I went w 16” bc every Wednesday I cook for 7. Hoping that size works.

I seasoned mine with flaxseed as recommended by The Wok Shop, and it worked beautifully. The process is described in the little booklet they include with their woks. Can’t comment on longevity because I’ve only used it twice since then.
    Last edited by Sid P; January 14, 2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Wow. I just went through the Wok Shop, putting stuff in my cart, and when it calculating shipping, it was going to be $30. Even a 14" Wok by itself ($39.95) was going to have $25 shipping! Pretty steep! I like that the wok is made in the US, but the shipping is crazy expensive. I'll probably need to look for something on Amazon with cheap or no shipping cost.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Considering that The Wok Shop is in San Francisco, CA, I can guarantee you that the total UPS or FedEx Ground freight cost is more than $25. Shipping 40 lb. of pellets out that way from Arkansas is about $35.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you have a good excuse to visit San Francisco.

My first wok (a gift from a friend) came from The Wok Shop 40 or so years ago. Shipping wasn't a problem, though, since I was stationed there at Letterman Army Medical Center.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd Beautiful place back in the day. I was stuck in a podunk Navy Hospital a few hours away just south of Fresno. I visited the Presidio once when I had to make a run up to Oak Knoll.

Name:	68CC5102-75F4-4843-B57A-ED5B4538705A.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1159787 Click image for larger version

Name:	3001B367-1808-4373-8AE9-357D7DACF30A.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1159782 Click image for larger version

Name:	0CFC74C1-8C5E-4C31-A014-C447EEAC1911.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1159788 Click image for larger version

Name:	DA34929D-8E84-4CB3-8A1A-97FAED030479.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1159783 Click image for larger version

Name:	257BE322-EB96-43FD-AAF0-A2EDF3A52673.jpeg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1159786 Click image for larger version

Name:	22EBA8B2-BF05-41CC-AACA-142A43C18B52.jpeg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1159785 Click image for larger version

Name:	AB402254-1299-4B31-9243-C2591F6C02BD.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1159784

Comment

When I was searching for woks a couple of months ago I came across this review that gave a detailed guide to "blueing" the the wok prior to seasoning. I decided to follow this path.

Comment

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          I occasionally wonder whether a wok (or a cast iron pan) could be "blued" by running it through the self-cleaning cycle of an electric oven.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          RobertC running through self cleaning will completely strip it bare of all seasoning. At least on cast iron

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, that's the idea: to strip it and "blue" it. I wonder if it would work.

Name:	F32ED4BE-9E30-4F7D-B9A4-0E4B88DD1C55.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1160646 First wok dish. Basic beef and broccoli. Chinese broccoli and flap meat. Very tasty.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely Done, Brother!!!

Looks Deliciouso!

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones thanks pal!

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here