Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pan-fried Dumplings - "Guotie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Bkhuna - Ahhhh! Well on that case you should keep doing it the way you do šŸ˜. I happen to like them crisp on the bottom. That's how we always got them in Chinatown when I lived in NYC.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Dewesq55 - I learned how to cook them by watching them being prepared countless times when I lived in Japan. I don't like dumplings with crunchy brown bottoms.

• TripleB
    replied
    Looks good. Saw the cover of my Food & Wine magazine and guess what's on the cover.... Dumplings!! Told my wife we gotta make some. I'm gonna compare what you listed to the recipes in the magazine. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    I wish you good luck with that, barelfly . I know that the universe of GF cooking has expanded tremendously in the 15+ years since I've had anything to do with it, but I remember it not being a picnic trying to work with GF doughs and batters. Let me/us know how it turns out.

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, one can do that. I did the reverse way where they are steamed/simmered first, then browned. Skins stayed soft on top and the browning is done after the filing is cooked so you take them out when they are as brown as you want them. So I would say your recommendation is a viable alternative, but no better or worse than what I put in the recipe.

• barelfly
    replied
    This is excellent! Thank you for sharing my friend! You have helped with GF things for me - I purchased ingredients to make GF wrappers last year and just havenā€™t set the time aside to do it. I bought expand-X to help with the GF flour, so now I am going to target next weekend to make wrappers and wontons! My wife will be ecstatic to have wontons again!

Thank you again for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    One recommendation; Heat the oil in the skiller and when hot, add the Gyoza to the pan in a single layer. Fry until slightly brown. Then add 1/4 cup of water, cover, and steam for 2-3 minutes. This will make the dough soft and help keep the fried side from over browning.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Very detailed. Excellent write-up! Thanks for sharing this! Ian going to make it for certain.

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    replied
    Thanks for the great write up.
    Last edited by willxfmr; January 23, 2021, 12:41 AM. Reason: Avoiding the grammar police. Yes, you PJ.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Johnston
    replied
    That looks great! Thanks for the pictures. My wife and kids just lover these.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    Awesome. Looks amazing!

Leave a comment:

• RobertC
    replied
    Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Excellent work my man !!! We make them and enjoy them regularly. You sure are getting your Asian on lately !!!

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Pot Stickers, We like pot stickers

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Looks great! I played around with these (both Chinese dumplings and the Japanese gyoza) a few times last fall, need to try your recipe.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here