Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pan-fried Dumplings - "Guotie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan-fried Dumplings - "Guotie"

EDIT: There are many different ways to make dumplings - different ways to make the wrappers, different fillings, different ways to make the same filling, store bought wrappers, etc. This is just the way I chose to makes them. I liked them enough that I will probably keep making them this way. I make no claim that this is the easiest, best, authentic, etc. way to do it. If you try them, I hope you like them. -David

I made these as "guotie" which means pan-fried dumplings, hence the title. The basic recipe, however, is for "jiaozi" which is the generic name for Northern Chinese dumplings. They can be either boiled or steamed if you don't want to pan-fry them. The recipe for the pork and cabbage filling was derived from recipes in 2 different cookbooks, both written by Mai Leung - "The Classic Chinese Cookbook" and "The New Classic Chinese Cookbook." The recipe for the dough/wrappers/skins is from https://redhousespice.com/homemade-dumpling-wrappers/

Makes: 20-25 crescent moon dumplings
    Takes: I didn't pay attention to the time, but the whole process takes quite a while. It's not quick.
    Special Tools: Stand mixer with dough hook; steamer set-up.

INGREDIENTS
    ½ pound Napa cabbage
    Filling
    ½ pound ground pork
    1 scallion: minced, including green part
    2 teaspoons Shaoxing wine or pale dry sherry
    1 tablespoon black soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon sesame oil
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon sugar
    â…› teaspoon msg optional
    ½ tablespoon cornstarch
    Dough
    For making around 30 wrappers
    250 g all-purpose flour about 2 cups, plus some for dusting
    130 ml water (½ cup+2 tsp) (87 ml boiling and 43 ml room temperature)
    ¼ teaspoon salt

about 6 tablespoons oil for pan-frying

DIRECTIONS

1. Make the filling: Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix vigorously in one direction for several minutes to develop the myocin in the meat. The filing should have a sticky paste-like consistency and leave streaks on the sides of the mixing bowl when done.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_193040118.jpg Views:	77 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	978164
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_193523155.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	978165
    2. Put Napa cabbage on a steamer and steam over water for 10-30 minutes until tender. When cool enough to handle, mince cabbage, wrap in a kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water, then mix cabbage thoroughly with the filling mixture. Refrigerate filling before use to firm it up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_193602102.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	978166
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_193902004.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	978167
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_194444827.jpg Views:	71 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	978168
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210118_194901726.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	978169

3. Make the dough: (I neglected to take photos during the dough/wrapper making process) Add flour to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. With mixer on speed 1, add the water to the flour gradually, starting with the hot water. Add room temperature water a teaspoon at a time if needed to just get the dough to come together into 1 mass with no dry flour in the bowl. Then continue mixing/kneading on a low speed (1 or 2 on a KitchenAid) until a smooth dough forms (about 8 minutes).
    4. Place in a zip lock bag and rest the dough for 30-60 minutes (no more than 2 hours) until it becomes soft (Chinese cooks would say "as soft as an earlobe").
    5. Make a loop with the dough then divide it into four parts. Roll one part (cover the rest to prevent them from drying out) into a rope then cut into 7-8 equal sections.
    6. Press each piece into a small disc with the palm of your hand. Then use a rolling pin to flatten it into a thin disc. Dust with flour if the dough sticks (Please refer to the video below).
    7. Use the fresh wrappers immediately. If you wish to freeze them for later, sprinkle extra flour in between each wrapper. Pile them up then place into an air-tight plastic bag (squeeze out the air as much as possible). Defrost in the fridge then use them straightaway.
    8. Make the dumplings - Roll dough into a long sausage about 1 inch in diameter. Pinch off pieces about 15 grams each. Flour them slightly and roll them into balls. With a rolling pin, roll each into a thin circle. Put about 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle. Fold the circle in half and pleat, pinching edges securely together.
    9. Place formed dumplings on a floured tray and cover with a towel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_003334275.jpg Views:	73 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	978171
    10. To cook (pan fried) - Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a big non-stick skillet and spread it evenly. Line up the dumplings in the skillet. Pour enough cold water to come half way up the sides. Cover and cook over moderate heat for about 3 minutes, or until the skins become opaque. Remove from heat and drain off the liquid. Add about 4 tablespoons oil to the pan. Cover and pan fry over medium-low heat until the bottoms are crisp and brown (about 5 minutes.) Check periodically to avoid overcooking the bottoms. If desired, you can then turn the dumplings to place one of the other 2 sides firm and brown lightly. Place the dumplings in a serving plate with the browned bottoms facing up and serve with a dipping sauce.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_005854825.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	978172
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_010006274.jpg Views:	71 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	978173
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 23, 2021, 09:52 AM.

Looks great! I played around with these (both Chinese dumplings and the Japanese gyoza) a few times last fall, need to try your recipe.

Comment

Pot Stickers, We like pot stickers

Comment

Excellent work my man !!! We make them and enjoy them regularly. You sure are getting your Asian on lately !!!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Awesome. Looks amazing!

Comment

That looks great! Thanks for the pictures. My wife and kids just lover these.

Comment

Thanks for the great write up.
                Last edited by willxfmr; January 23, 2021, 12:41 AM. Reason: Avoiding the grammar police. Yes, you PJ.

Comment

Very detailed. Excellent write-up! Thanks for sharing this! Ian going to make it for certain.

Comment

One recommendation; Heat the oil in the skiller and when hot, add the Gyoza to the pan in a single layer. Fry until slightly brown. Then add 1/4 cup of water, cover, and steam for 2-3 minutes. This will make the dough soft and help keep the fried side from over browning.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, one can do that. I did the reverse way where they are steamed/simmered first, then browned. Skins stayed soft on top and the browning is done after the filing is cooked so you take them out when they are as brown as you want them. So I would say your recommendation is a viable alternative, but no better or worse than what I put in the recipe.

• Bkhuna
                      Bkhuna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dewesq55 - I learned how to cook them by watching them being prepared countless times when I lived in Japan. I don't like dumplings with crunchy brown bottoms.

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bkhuna - Ahhhh! Well on that case you should keep doing it the way you do 😁. I happen to like them crisp on the bottom. That's how we always got them in Chinatown when I lived in NYC.

This is excellent! Thank you for sharing my friend! You have helped with GF things for me - I purchased ingredients to make GF wrappers last year and just haven’t set the time aside to do it. I bought expand-X to help with the GF flour, so now I am going to target next weekend to make wrappers and wontons! My wife will be ecstatic to have wontons again!

Thank you again for sharing!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wish you good luck with that, barelfly . I know that the universe of GF cooking has expanded tremendously in the 15+ years since I've had anything to do with it, but I remember it not being a picnic trying to work with GF doughs and batters. Let me/us know how it turns out.

Looks good. Saw the cover of my Food & Wine magazine and guess what's on the cover.... Dumplings!! Told my wife we gotta make some. I'm gonna compare what you listed to the recipes in the magazine. Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here