Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yaki Udon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yaki Udon

Udon is a thick wheat flour noodle in Japan. It is most often found in various soups but is also served in stir fries.

This recipe comes from https://www.justonecookbook.com/yaki-udon/

You can cook a wide array of Japanese dishes by keeping a small panty of items. The emphasis of Japanese cooking is fresh, seasonal ingredients. Home kitchens are small and so are the refrigerators. Small amounts of meats, fish, and veggies are purchased several times a week, the bulk of the ingredients are dried or otherwise shelf stable. Dried herbs and spices are uncommon.

I hope some of you will try this at home, it is so satisfying and very easy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Yaki Udon 12.21.2020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	961656
    Last edited by Bkhuna; December 24, 2020, 04:05 AM.

That is a very good recipe. I especially liked her commentary on noodle sourcing. I would make one small amendment to her advice on using dry Udon noodles though. She said to cook them according to the package instructions. I used dry noodles for the Santa Maria/wok experiment I posted the other day. The package instructions called for 5-6 minutes of boil time. We cut that down to 4 minutes because when you go to the stir fry portion they will continue to soften (taking on more moisture from the sauce) in the wok. A small thing, but I believe it helps maintain the texture of the noodle better.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point on noodle texture. I finally sourced Sanuki Udon at the Lotte Market that opened up in Orlando. We make a monthly trip and stock up on it and other staples. They have a large selection of fresh noodles also and too many types of dried noodles to count.
      The have a great selection and prices on Berkshire pork and Wagyu beef that is untouchable in Central Florida. I've started using using more pork belly as a result.

JOC has many good pork belly recipes.

Mo wok! Mo wok! 👍

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Wok, wok, wokwokwok, wok-ahaahhh!

Be careful what you wish for, compadre.
      Last edited by gcdmd; December 25, 2020, 08:32 AM.

Thanks for the post, always looking for new flavors and recipes!

Comment

Sounds good. But there are no small "pant[ies]" in this house, I'm afraid. 🤣

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I should never post early in the morning before the coffee kicks in or in the evening when the whiskey has.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna - I would have let it go, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a cheap laugh!. 😁

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 - I would expect nothing less.

Really good stuff. I don't have an Asian store near me so I source some products on line:
      The Japanese Pantry is dedicated to bringing the best quality artisanal Japanese ingredients to professional and recreational cooks in North America.

Naoko, a.k.a Mrs. Donabe's all-time favorite pantry items are our other unique collection for your "Happy Donabe Life."

Japan Super - secure on-line shopping of authentic Japanese food and groceries. Shipped anywhere in the continental USA by FedEx, UPS or USPS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here