Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese Takeout-style Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese Takeout-style Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Ingredients 8 oz. shrimp (21 size, or about 10 shrimp; 225g)
    4 oz. ground pork (110g)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
    1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
    1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon msg
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    ½ cup frozen peas
    2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed into a slurry with 2 tablespoons water)
    1 egg (beaten slightly)
    1 scallion (chopped)

Instructions
    1. Peel and devein the shrimp. Boil 2 cups of water in a large wok or pot and stir in the ground pork. Break up any clumps and cook for about 1 minute, until the pork is no longer pink. Drain the pork in a mesh strainer and give it a quick rinse. This will give you a much clearer, cleaner sauce.
    2. Wash your wok and place over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil, garlic, ground pork, and shrimp and stir-fry for 10-20 seconds.
    3. Add the wine and stir-fry for another 10 seconds.
    4. Add the chicken stock, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and white pepper.
    5. Stir in the peas.
    6. Once the mixture comes to a simmer, stir in the cornstarch slurry a little bit at a time. Let the mixture bubble and thicken. It should be able to coat a spoon, but it shouldn’t have a gloopy consistency. If it gets too thick, add a little more chicken stock. If it’s too thin, add more slurry.
    7. Spread the slightly beaten egg and scallion across the mixture and let simmer for 5 seconds. Use your spatula to fold the egg into the sauce with a few strokes. Serve over white rice.

Nice! Shrimp with Lobster Sauce is my test menu item when scoping out a Chinese restaurant.

Comment

Thanks for a recipe with msg. I have a box in my cupboard but hide it. It used to be a staple in all of my rubs but it got such a bad rap I stopped using it. I still sneak it in from time to time.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I use it for some things. Certain BBQ rubs benefit from it, I think. And some Chinese dishes. Of course one could just leave it out if they were concerned about it. Or one could sub some chicken bouillon powder or mushroom powder.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Say it loud, I use MSG and I'm proud!

Gonna have to try this one. Sounds great!

Comment

Hey where’s the lobster?! False advertising!

Comment

I can't see the picture!

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
            Hey where’s the lobster?! False advertising!
            I found this answer on the interwebs:
            Despite the fancy name, there isn’t actually any lobster in this dish. Lobster sauce refers to the Cantonese way of cooking and serving lobster with fermented black beans, but Chinese restaurants realized it tastes just as delicious with much less expensive shrimp. Fermented black beans is often a component in classic shrimp in lobster sauce dish, as well.

Thanks for the recipe, Dewesq55 . Interesting approach, boiling then rinsing the pork. This will be fun to try.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; February 11, 2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info Kathryn!

I love Shrimp in Lobster sauce. And I just so happened to have gotten a bottle of Shaoxing wine for a different recipe.
            Will definitely be giving this one a try.

Thanks for the recipe Dewesq55

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here