Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken and Broccoli with Brown Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

treesmacker here you go.

★★★★
    Chicken, Chicken, Chinese
    Prep Time: 15 minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: Serves: 4 Source: thewoksoflife.com

INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE CHICKEN:
    12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast (or thighs, 340g)
    3 tablespoons water (45 ml)
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    FOR THE REST OF THE DISH:
    2/3 cup low sodium chicken stock (160 ml, warmed)
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (or brown sugar)
    1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    4 cups broccoli florets (300g)
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
    2 cloves garlic (minced)
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated, optional)
    1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
    2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
    DESCRIPTION
    Chicken and Broccoli with brown sauce is a popular Chinese takeout dish. This chicken and broccoli recipe will show you how to make it with a delicious Chinese brown sauce.
    Our recipe uses the same technique as Chinese restaurants. The broccoli is blanched, and the chicken is seared separately. The aromatics and sauce are cooked and thickened with cornstarch slurry, and everything is tossed together at the end.
    After you learn how to make Chinese Chicken and Broccoli at home, you won’t go back to ordering takeout again!
    DIRECTIONS
    Start by marinating your chicken. In a bowl, add the sliced chicken, 3 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, and 1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil. Rub the marinade ingredients into the chicken with your hands until all the liquid has been absorbed by the chicken. Set aside for 10 minutes.
    Next, prepare the sauce mixture. In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the warm chicken stock, sugar, soy sauce, dark soy sauce , oyster sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Stir everything together until well combined and set aside.
    Boil water in your wok and blanch the broccoli for 1 minute (or 2 minutes if you like your broccoli softer). Drain and set aside.
    Clean and dry your wok. Place it over high heat until smoking. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and sear the chicken until opaque on all sides (this shoul d only take about 3 minutes). Turn off the heat, remove the chicken, and set aside. The chicken will be about 90% done, but will be cooked again at the end.
    Without washing the wok, set the flame to medium heat. Add another tablespoon of oil, along with the garlic and ginger (if using). Stir the garlic and ginger for 5 seconds and add the Shaoxing wine around the perimeter of the wok. Then pour in the sauce mixture. Use your wok spatula to stir the sauce around the sides of the wok to deglaze, and let it come to a simmer.
    Stir up the cornstarch and water slurry and drizzle the mixture into sauce while stirring constantly. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 to 15 seconds until thick and gravy-like.
    Toss in the chicken and its juices and the blanched broccoli. Stir-fry until the chicken and broccoli is coated in the sauce.
    At this point, you can make adjustments. If you like your brown sauce darker, add a dash more of dark soy sauce. Add more cornstarch slurry if your sauce is too thin, or more chicken stock or water if the sauce is too thick. Serve with steamed rice.

Awesome. I was hoping you would post this. Yum.

Comment

Sounds delicious thanks for sharing.

Comment

Many thanks fer sharin with us all, Brother!

Comment

Sounds great, but Shaozing wine is not sold in VA and I ain't paying what they want online There are a number of producers of this wine named after the city of Shaozing. And there are two types. The preferred type is a drinking wine. The other type has salt added and is sold as a cooking wine. I am told the cooking type tastes bad, so I have not looked for it or tried it.
          Sure do wish I could find the one without salt...

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            I used the cooking wine. If I didn't have that I'd use Sake.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Here is an article discussing Shaozing Wine. Seems like the "Cooking" Wine is what they use in Chinese Restaurants. I bought a bottle at H Mart near my work. I tasted a sip and it tastes like crap. Definitely cooking not drinking wine.

Shaoxing Wine also known as Chinese Cooking Wine is a rice wine used in Chinese recipes. The best substitutes for Shaoxing Wine are dry sherry, mirin, cooking sake or for a non alcoholic substitute, using broth in place of water in sauces.

Thank you Old Glory that looks amazing. I'll have to give it a try!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here