Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kimchi Style Sauerkraut Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kimchi Style Sauerkraut Recipe

Today I made 12 lbs of Kimchi style sauerkraut using the recipe from here: https://www.makesauerkraut.com/suref...ut-in-a-crock/

For every five pounds of Kimchi:

3-6 carrots, julienned
    2 bunches of green onions, sliced
    1 1/2 cup grated radish
    1 - 3 to 6 inch piece of fresh ginger root, finely grated
    6-9 garlic cloves, minced
    Shredded Napa cabbage to bring weight up to 5 lbs.
    1 tablespoon Gochugaru

Mix together and add:

1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional but adds a great umami character)
    3 tablespoons salt.

Mix well and pack into a stoneware crock. Note: wait 20-30 minutes after adding the salt and the veggies will start oozing liquid and be easier to pack. Cover with some whole leaves and weight stones. Takes 3-6 weeks to ferment depending on the temperature.

I didn't take any pictures of the ingredients before I shredded them. For the Napa cabbage I used my big cabbage shredder ( https://www.stonecreektrading.com/co...shredder-large ) and a knife or grater for the rest of the ingredients. The stores around here don't carry Korean radishes so I used a Daikon radish.

I used this Gochugaru: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YQ2YNME...ogi&th=1&psc=1

For the salt I used Sherpa brand pink Himalayan salt.

I also used some Red Boat fish sauce: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Sust...y%2C199&sr=1-5

Safety Note: I feel like a fool but decided to post this warning: Please be careful when using any mandolin-style shredder. Even though I've used this cabbage shredder for several years and know to be careful, one second of inattention resulted in the loss of a finger tip. I was slowly shredding the cabbage and looked up out the window for a second just as I was moving the cabbage over the blade. The cabbage hung and flipped and my ring finger went right across the blade cutting the finger tip off down to the subcutaneous tissue. The cabbage section was still 4 inches tall, not shredded down to the bottom, so I wasn't expecting any danger. As luck would have it I was out of bandages, I decided the Urgent Care Clinic wouldn't do anything I couldn't do for myself (I'm a veterinarian), and I was able to stop the bleeding with a clean paper towel and pressure. After running up to my clinic and bandaging the finger (plus bringing supplies home to change the bandage as needed) I returned to carefully finish the rest of the Kimchi using a pot holder as a guard over the cabbage. Luckily the cut portion of my finger was still on the shredder and the finger did not bleed much at first so the Kimchi was not contaminated. I sanitized the shredder before continuing.

Now for the pictures:

Veggies blended with the salt and resting for 20 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3066.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	830630

Packing into the crock - notice how much brine liquid has formed in the pan while the veggies sat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3067.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	830631

This 7.5 L crock was given to me by a Swiss exchange student when I was in college in the 1990s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3068.JPG Views:	0 Size:	922.7 KB ID:	830632

Now, aren't you glad I didn't post a picture of my finger?

Hindsight being 20/20 I bought this today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by 58limited; April 12, 2020, 07:12 PM.

I prefer chunkier Kimchi heck I don’t shred my slaw or kraut. Also, gotta have shrimps in kimchi. Other than that sounds dang good!

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen some recipes that use salted squid. Many recipes online and all sound good. Most kimchi that I've seen uses large chunks or whole leaves of the cabbage, if not the whole cabbage itself. I like the shredded version because I use it to make pulled pork egg rolls and other things where a fine shred is easier to use.

The top pic looks like a great start to some slaw. I can't wait to see how this turns out as this sounds pretty good!

Comment

That sounds delicious!

Comment

Outstanding! I have not had shredded Kim Chi, but this looks great! I usually fold/roll the Napa cabbage with all the veg and such. But like this alternative method! I tried to order a few things from Wally World pickup to make Kim Chi the past few weeks but haven’t been able to get everything. So, nothing for me yet.

As for shredding, I just use my knife when I make kraut. I tried my mandolin the first time I made Kraut and didn’t like how it was working - mainly because it scared the bejeezus out of me that I was gonna cut m fingers off. I just couldn’t get it working right, so went to the knife, which allowed me to get a pretty good long shred.

And I love that crock! I have the same brand but just much newer and not as man stories and built in flavor that your’s has!

Glad your finger is ok!
        Last edited by barelfly; April 13, 2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          My smaller veggie mandolin has a nice guard that you hold in your hand. I'm going to make a similar guard out of wood for the big shredder. I actually like how the cabbage shredder shreds the cabbage, and it is much quicker than using my knife.

Ouch!!! Thanks for the benefit of your experience, and for the recipe

Comment

One month later and I filled 5 one quart mason jars with this batch of Kimchi. It has a nice sour character, the ginger comes across pretty strongly on the nose. My experience with my last batch is that the spice from the gochugaru comes forward after aging in the fridge for months. My last bottle sat in the fridge for 1 1/2 years and it had a nice spicy kick. The bottles in the background are home fermented hot sauce. The pureed peppers filled two 1 qt. mason jars 3/4 full for the ferment - mostly tabasco peppers but there is about 8-10 oz. chili petines and 12 arbol peppers in the mix. After fermenting for 4+ months I diluted the puree with vineger - white and cane and wound up with about 1 1/4 gallons after straining. The bottles on the right (with the tape on top) have honey added.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3108.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	846945
          Last edited by 58limited; May 16, 2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

This is the cabbage shredder I use for sauerkraut and kimchi https://www.sausagemaker.com/Wooden-...-p/24-1710.htm It leaves bigger shreds than a mandolin.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that it comes with a guard, wish I would have seen this one before buying the one I have. The one I bought from Stone Creek doesn't have that as an option. Theirs are made in Poland. I will make a guard before my next batch though.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here