Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thai Yellow Chicken Curry With Potatoes With Fresh Curry Paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dewesq55 , here you go.

Thai yellow curry with potatoes is my to-do dish for any Thai restaurant. If they do it well, I go back, and if not, I never darken their doors again. Since we were growing our own Thai peppers this year, I really wanted to try and make a good Thai dish, and I think I managed to succeed.

I've had the grocery store Thai sauces, and they are quite good. We used to simply use the grocery store sauces for a while, and they definitely hit the spot. However, this recipe takes it up a notch and delivers some amazing Thai curry with relatively little work.

Typically, I research recipes by comparing ingredients and picking the one with the most flavors and best ingredients among multiple websites. Usually end up with 20 windows to start and begin narrowing it down. As a result, I don't end up with a standard source like we do for BBQ (Reed, AR, Serious Eats etc.)

Not a whole lot to add on the recipes, except to make the paste first obviously. I modified the paste recipe from the link to reflect my easier approach (skipped the roasting of garlic in tin foil for ages) and the fact that I was using fresh peppers. I also left out cilantro and coriander, as they taste like soap to my wife, but would definitely keep them in if I was making just for myself. I also felt the chili scale below was accurate, as we got a good level of heat out of 10 peppers. We left out fish sauce too, as it is like $10 a bottle, and we didn't want to add more salty flavors. Coconut cream or milk has a number of readily available substitute that work as long as you work on add creaminess.

Curry:

https://pinchofyum.com/thai-yellow-c...-with-potatoes

Paste:

This Easy Thai Yellow Curry Paste can be made with easy-to-find ingredients! Shallots, garlic, Thai chili peppers, ginger, lemongrass, and spices. So much flavor!

Yellow Thai Curry Paste

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 tablespoon of oil
    • 4 large shallots
    • 4 large heads of garlic (not individual cloves – FULL HEADS of garlic)
    • 6-inch piece of fresh ginger
    • 5–20 whole dried Thai chili peppers**
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
    • 3 tablespoons turmeric
    • 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
    • 2 teaspoons roasted ground coriander
    • 3 tablespoons lemongrass paste (found this at my local Fresh Market, but it would be hard to find in a regular grocery store)
    • 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Slice ginger and shallots and place in pan at medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add crushed garlic. Add fresh peppers and roast until fragrant (5-15 minutes).
    2. Make the paste: Put all ingredients in a food processor or very strong blender. Pulse or puree until the yellow curry paste reaches your desired consistency.
    **The number of peppers will either make your curry paste mild or hot.

5 chilis = very mild
    10 chilis = medium
    15 chilis = medium hot
    20 chilis = HOT

Serves: 6

Time: 2 hours (for me)

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 tablespoon oil
    • half a yellow onion, sliced thinly
    • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1/3 cup yellow curry paste (could go up to a 1/2 cup to boost flavor, which is what I did)
    • 10 baby golden yukon potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 14-ounce can coconut cream (it’s like coconut milk, but even more luscious)
    • 1/2 – 1 cup water
    • 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
    • cilantro and rice for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes until the onions are fragrant and softened. Add the chicken and curry paste; saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir to coat with the curry paste.
    2. Add the coconut cream and 1/2 cup water to the pot – simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are fully cooked, adding more water depending on the consistency you want for the sauce.
    3. Stir in the fish sauce.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; October 1, 2021, 11:53 AM.

Definitely on the to-do list. Thanks!

Comment

Not interested in the food but what a great and thorough write-up Zero. Thanks for the contribution !!!

Comment

Of course, it is usually served in a bowl with the rice separate. I always mixed it immediately! 😱🤣

Comment

More pics from today's cook.
          Attached Files

Comment

That close up started my nose running! Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here