Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cheese Grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheese Grits

I couldn't find a place to put this recipe, but we use this for any meal, not just b'fast. This is for you Dr. Pepper. ;^)

This recipe is inspired by Chris Lilly's recipe found in his cookbook, Fire & Smoke. This is almost it to a T, with a few modifications for my liking.

1.5 tsp salt
    0.5 tsp fresh gr. black pepper
    0.5 tsp garlic powder
    1.5 cups quick grits (5 minute type), NOT instant
    4-6 oz. unsalted butter
    8 oz. extra sharp chedder, grated about 2 cups *I tend to use Tillamook*
    4 oz. Muenster cheese, grated about 1 cup
    0.5 cup whole milk, may use half-half instead
    0.75 tsp worchestershire sauce
    0.75 tsp hot sauce, I like Tabasco Chipotle or other similar
    3 eggs slightly beaten

1). Set up your cooker for indirect cooking. Preheat to approx. 350F
    2). In a large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to boil. Add the grits, stir out the lumps. Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Stir occassionally until grits thicken, usually about 5-7 minutes.
    3). Remove pan from heat, add in butter, cheeses, milk, worchestershire and hot sauces. Let the grits cook or temper the eggs into the dish.
    4). Butter a cast iron pan, 10-12" should work. Pour in the mixture and place pan on indirect side of grill. Cook until the grits firm up and the top is golden brown and delicious. It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1h20m.
    5). Remove from grill and let sit for a bit. Serve hot

Thanks, @au4stree No problem finding Tilamook cheese up here in the PNW. So, the website I had found was a woman lamed Lilly! I'll check out his book.

Comment

Cheese? Grits?? I'm all in, Brother!!!Hittin me where I already live...

Comment

Excellent than you for sharing. Loved the cook you did with these and the greens and pulled pork.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks and you’re welcome. That’s why I love this site, it’s fun sharing ideas and things that went well. I do like a thin Carolina thin red sauce, it cuts the pork richness and compliments the greens. Hope you enjoy it when you give it a try.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here