Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP What's the best way to cool down a WSM Smoker that is stubbornly running at 275?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP What's the best way to cool down a WSM Smoker that is stubbornly running at 275?

Ok folks, be gentle. I have an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I am doing pastrami. I have a BBQ guru to regulate temperature. I used the Fuse method because for some reason my smokes always run a bit hot and I decided to try to keep it cooler this way. But the cook is just sitting at 275 degrees for the first hour and a half. The BBQ guru is not even pumping any air in. The water tray is pretty full. Am I really going to have to lift the top off of this thing and start pulling out coals? The ring of charcoal built around 2 bricks hasn't made it much more than 1/3 of the way around, which is probably how it needs to be. I am in Los Angeles and it's a bright sunny day but I have an umbrella over the WSM.
    so

A/ Am I packing too much charcoal in so that I get too much heat? Normally I use the Minion Method and keep the charcoal and wood combined to just below the rim of the charcoal cage.

B/How do I slowdown this cook, or, is 275 degrees not going to be the end of the world.

Problem with Pastrami is that there was so much prep time involved that I have a lot invested in this smoke.

Any help would be appreciated.

My first guess is reduce the amount of charcoal. Experiment further with less coals in the fuse. My additional guess is to ask if air is leaking around/through the guru, allowing a hot burn. I know nothing of gurus since I don't use them, but if they're off, are they airtight or does it permit oxygen into the cooker? You could try closing top vents a little to reduce overall flow.

Are you using a full packer brisket or a smaller flat for your pastrami? 275 is not unheard of for briskets so as long as you're really monitoring your internal meat temps you won't ruin anything. Some people cook briskets at 300+.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Party Q from BBQ Guru. I use it on my Weber 22'5" in conjunction with the Smokenator. The Party Q goes into a stainless tube via a hole drilled into the side of the Weber and is completely air tight. I wonder if the lid is tight on his WSM

I'm kind of surprised because you're using the fuse method but I think Aaron basically covered it. You could always pull some charcoal off the fuse and see how it goes, or enjoy the ride and see how it turns out. I don't think your cook is in danger.

Comment

Sorry to ask the obvious. Are the other vent closed? Including the top. If so I would suggest you pull the guru and put in the in the kill plug and go manual air control once the temp starts to slide down

Sorry, I know this may be a bit to late to help.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 13, 2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks Lads, all very helpful. It calmed down after 4 hours. I am going to work along the suggestion that perhaps the other bottom vents, though closed, might not be tight and that, as a result there is ventilation in spite of the BBQ Guru not blowing any in. Needless to say, that will all happen after I am finished.
        Hour 7 and my largest slab of Brisket, which was the flat from a whole packer brisket that I cut the point off of (and which is already done) is still going.

I have this problem a lot so I really have to look at everything now. I hate when it feels like all of the lower vents are shut and the fire is just kind of smoldering. IT gets that odd smell to it.
        Again, thanks all.

Comment

If you ha air leaking you would see smoke leaking from there, with no food in it shut that top vent toatally and see where the smoke leaks, also is the damper on the guru wide open? For lower temps it needs to be at the first notch 25%. It could also be your coal, if i run kingsford blu in my backwoods 225 is next to impossible

Comment

The spelling sucks in that post this site dont seem to love my iphone

Comment

• Yojumbo
              Yojumbo commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Grantw. Sorry, didn't see this reply until now.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis