Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Tonight's steaks. Prime New York strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fracmeister
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Sprang, TX
    • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

Tonight's steaks. Prime New York strips

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n99886[/ATTACH] At 14.99 a pound these better be good. Lightly salted this AM before I left for work. Early dinner at 5.
    Attached Files
  • DeusDingo
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Madison, WI
    • Weber Q320 grill
      Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Propane Smoker
      Maverick and thermo Pen thermometers

they look pretty. nice marbling. i bet they will be great

Comment

• David Parrish
      Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
      • May 2014
      • Charlotte, NC

I've got this bad boy dry brining in the fridge. Friday Night Steak Night! On the SnS of course

Comment

• DWCowles
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Smiths Grove, Ky
        • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

You all sure know how to make a man suffer. Ribeyes tomorrow for sure.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Leesburg, VA. (Northern, VA)
          • We have two weber kettle grills (one LARGE and one small/average), the SnS and the Weber Smokey Mountain 18" smoker. We use both natural lump charcoal and KNB for smoking and measure our temps with a Maverick 733, thermopen and MK4. Favorite beer depends on what is cooking (alt answer is yes).

It looks like the Fracmeisters and Pit Bosses are eating VERY well tonight.

#1 just went to whole foods and got us wild caught silver salmon for tonight and organic grass fed beef for Saturday night.

Comment

• fracmeister
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Sprang, TX
            • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

OK, everybody thinks they can cook a steak.

I like thick steaks. I use prime beef. In today's case I am cooking New York Strips.
            Here are the steaks. In the morning before I left for work I lightly salted them to "dry brine". Salt is basically the only thing that penetrates into meat. Anything else is for the surface. You can see the thickness in the top steak I hold on edge.The marbling is also very clear in these steaks.

I cook the steaks at 225F until they reach an internal temperature corresponding to a very rare steak. Then I take them off the grill, pat the surfaces dry with a paper towel, coat the surfaces lightly with canola oil and put them over the hottest thing I can make. In the ususal case, the charcoal afterburner.

I use this charcoal device to light my coals without any lighter fluid (never use that stuff!). Normally, I get the coals going and then dump them into my grill or into my "slow-n-sear" for the grill. I usually leave the burning canister of coals in a chimney that is REALLY hot but today I will use the slow-n-sear.

The Slow-n-sear has a water baffle between the coals and the rest of the grill for two zone cooking.

I sear the very rare steaks on the grate over the sns for a few minutes, moving them around. I DO NOT want "grill marks"--- I want a uniform brown with the Maillard(1) reaction doing it's thing everywhere.

Searing
            End product

Hard to see but the steak is uniform color throughout and dark brown just on the exterior.

Grilling red onions
            Grilled the corn for the salad
            Finishing Zucchini
            We had to keep the peppers seperate from the rest as one of our guests has a lot of allergies.
            Garden peppers
            The salad

After I turn them over I add a tiny dollop of beurre maitre d'hotel (2) and some pepper. I dont want to burn the pepper. I serve promptly and add a tiny amount of coarse salt just before serving.

This is the "reverse sear" method. I use to sear at the beginning suffering under the delusion that it sealed in the juices. Hah. All it managed to do was give me a rainbow of brown to grey to pink to red. Now I get a uniform color throughout AND a nice brown surface.

I used to rotate steaks once over grills to get these 90 degree "grill marks." The Maillard reaction is why you get those marks and it is one of the great reasons for the amazing flavor.

I used to use Montreal steak seasoning and similar. Now I use salt and pepper. Great steaks don't need thyme, coriander and dried onions/garlic. The beurre maitre d'hotel is my only touch. I occasionally serve it at the table.

And don't ask for Heinz 57 or Worcestershire sauce at my table. That is if you want to get invited back for another steak.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
            (2) http://www.chefs.edu/student-life/cu...d-hotel-butter

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Another WOW!!!

Unbelievable! Almost.
          • fracmeister
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Sprang, TX
            • Dances with lemmings

That was a cut and paste for the blog. Obviously YOU GUYS know how to cook a steak! They were so tender and tasted so good.

Comment

• Ray
              Ray
              Charter Member
              • Sep 2014
              • Central IN
              • ​Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill/smoker
                Weber Summit Gas grill
                Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker
                Maverick ET-733
                Thermapen
                ThemoPop thermometer
                Favorite beer: Fuller's ESB
                Favorite cheap beer: Old Chub or Robert the Bruce if they are ever on sale.
                Favorite wine: Cabernet Savignon, some Super Tuscans

fracmeister the steaks look fantastic; great job! What cooker did you use for the initial 225F?

Comment

• fracmeister
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Sprang, TX
                • Dances with lemmings

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                fracmeister the steaks look fantastic; great job! What cooker did you use for the initial 225F?
                The Yoder. Could obviously have done it all on the Weber but it is so easy to hold temps on the Yoder that I can parallel process. Also had some other stuff cooking so I (almost) needed the space.
                Last edited by fracmeister; July 31, 2015, 06:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  • Jun 2014
                  • East Texas
                  • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
                    Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
                    Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
                    Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
                    Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
                    Weber Smokey Joe Gold
                    Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
                    Vortex
                    Maverick ET-732 White
                    Maverick ET-732 Copper
                    2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
                    Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
                    Thermoworks Timestick
                    Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
                    B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
                    B & B Pellets

You definitely cooked some serious stuff!!!

I never cared for New York Strip, too fibrous for me, LOVE me some ribeye.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love strips, but LOVE rib Eyes!!!!!
                • David Parrish
                  Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
                  • May 2014
                  • Charlotte, NC

Nice cook!

Comment

• fracmeister
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Sprang, TX
                    • Dances with lemmings

These strips weren't fibrous at all. Prime NY strips have plenty of marbling. While I love ribeyes, they do have large pockets of fat. The NY strips really benefit from the reverse searing. I like the sizes of the NY strips as individual cuts when I am doing 2" steaks or even 1.5". A 2" ribeye might weigh 2 pounds and cost me (prime) close to 40$... they just don't put usda prime ribeyes on sale, especially the dry aged ones (my real favorites!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}