Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Eastern NC
    • 2018 MAK 2 Star
      Charbroil Big Easy SRG

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up

Long story short, I've been in the military as a pseudo construction worker (great fallback plan for employment) for 24 years by the time I retire. DoD came out with an amazing program for us to more or less intern with a company for 6 months on our current pay before separation/retirement. Problem is, I don't know what I want to do. I can always fall back on my experience in pavements or construction equipment for a respectable paycheck, but I want to do something different and a little easier on the body if possible.

Other problem is we've invested a lot in my wifes career path here in NC, so moving is not out of the cards, but a very last resort.

So obviously I'm looking at random companies here in my commute radius and seeing if something interests me, as well as pays decently for entry level... so far my only options are poultry insemination or sexing, or pressing buttons at a factory (they don't interest me, and seem boring actually, but only things in my entry pay range lol).

I really enjoy my current job because every day is different; I get to problem solve, am not strictly bound to a checklist or timeline usually and hopefully effectively lead people to do the same.

1. I was hoping to find something where you can do undercover boss type stuff and find what people complain about their job and then find ways to fix it that make sense for investors/owners as well as employees (buzzword innovation). Do any of you have a job like this that doesn't require specialty in the targeted field? (ie different types of work, not the same businesses over and over)

2. Are there jobs where you can get OJT (on the job experience) via telework?

3. I'm not opposed to travel, my wife actually likes me more when I'm gone multiple times a year but we'd prefer multiple short trips over a single long trip every year. But I don't know how you intern for a job like that if they even exist at entry level skills?

Do any of you work for companies that might have opportunities that are even close to any of the above? If you don't want to respond publicly please send me a PM. I don't care if the company is hiring or not, I have multiple fallback options but would love to experience something new (and maybe even something I'm not thinking about/considering) at no risk to me or said company. Worst case I get a better idea of what I want to do for my next career and a chance to earn an employment reference.

*EDIT* Not specifically looking for leads for employment as much as I'm trying to see what sorts of stuff might be out there for me to "intern" with for my 6 months and get some exposure to something different than what I do now. Some really great options have been listed so far and I appreciate it

Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 25, 2021, 07:09 AM.
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

I wish I could help.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't need leads specifically, just looking to use my 6 month program to try something new even if it doesn't turn into a job or direction I end up going. So I'm sure you have an idea or two that would be helpful
  • CaptainMike
    Club Member
    • Nov 2015
    • The Great State of Jefferson
    • 24X40 Lone Star Grillz offset smoker
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
      Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
      2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
      20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
      20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
      Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
      36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
      Fireboard
      Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

You know, the first thing that popped in my head, with your experience and assimilation to training, is drinking and wastewater treatment. Once qualified and licensed you could stay put or move, plus a double-dip retirement. That's just what popped into my head.

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, 24 years in the .mil I'm sure he's qualified at the drinking part...

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre I figgerd I'd get some of those well-warranted wise cracks!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      The city poo pond is actually the same commute that I have right now, not a terrible idea to add to my fall back plans... and mnavarre is correct, I am overly qualified
  • FireMan
    Charter Member
    • Jul 2015
    • Bottom of Winnebago

Free lance & serve as a consultant/trouble shooter in the field you have experience in.

Comment

• smokin fool
      Club Member
      • Apr 2019
      • Mississauga, Ont

Hit INDEED or other job search engine.
      I'd be looking at a state or city planning or maintenance programs.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I've scoured the different job site things, some of the stuff seems interesting and some of them are already part of my fall back plan. I have skills that are in demand, just would prefer to spend the next 20+ years doing something different if it makes sense financially and job satisfaction wise.
    • willxfmr
      Club Member
      • Apr 2017
      • Fondy

I'd suggest looking at a maintenance gig at one of the local factories. The work is usually steady, the pay is decent, and it's what a lot of us old construction types moved to when the mind was willing, but the body was no longer interested. It certainly beats the crap out of working an actual factory job.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        I didn't think about that, we have quite a few factory options around here, but I overlooked the maintenance ones thinking I wouldn't have a shot at qualifying and the floor jobs looked monotonous and boring... though the pay was surprisingly good for this area.
    • zero_credit
      Club Member
      • Mar 2020
      • Near Chicago, IL
      • Current Pride and Joy:

Masterbuilt Gravity 560

Joule

Old (sold) Loves:

PBC
        Weber 22" Premium

Thermometers:

Inkbird
        Thermoworks POP

Preferred Charcoal:

B&B Charlogs/B&B Lump

Have you thought about some LinkedIn learning or community college courses to perhaps dig a bit deeper into areas of interest and get a sense of how your current skills can be used or what new ones can be learned? A lot of free options and very modest time commitments. Coursera is also good.
      Last edited by zero_credit; February 24, 2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
        Club Member
        • Jul 2019
        • Central IA
        • MAK 2 Star General
          Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
          w/ Big Joetisserie, SnS LP, and Vortex
          Weber Q1000
          Fireboard 2 Drive
          Anova Precision Sous Vide
          All the (pellet) grills I’ve loved before:
          Traeger Junior Elite^
          GMG DB
          Traeger Texas Elite
          Memphis Pro§
          Traeger Pro 575
          CampChef SmokePro STX (ugly grills need love too)
          Weber SmokeFire EX4§
          Traeger Select
          CampChef Woodwind WiFi w/SearBox^
          Weber SmokeFire EX4§

^ = Favorites
          § = Love/Hate Relationships

You have any welding experience? Glitchy Grills could soon be hiring.

On a more serious note, first thank you for your service. Don’t let your lack of a degree in a field that interests you keep you from applying. There are still a lot of people and places that rightfully respect service experience as being valuable and somewhat well rounded. Obviously, your probably not going to get a job as a nuclear physicist or a pharmacist without a degree, but there’s a lot of companies that will hire military retirees for managers, at least around here.

Have you thought about starting your own company? Use your experience and manage a crew? 24 years I’d guess you know a few things.

The BBQ cleaner was on BBQ Central Tuesday. Completely different route,, but has me thinking if I want a career change.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          we used to weld a lot when I first came in, but I'd barely be better than a week 2 welding student at this point. Haven't run a quality bead in about 20 years, and haven't even struck a stick in about 10 Guy at work want me to open a restaurant/food truck. But I don't want my hobby to become a job.
      • rickgregory
        Founding Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Seattle, WA

I freelance so can't help with leads, but... you're not entry level. You have 24 years of experience. Do this...

List out your skills. Do not self edit, don't prioritize, don't stop. Just list them out.
        • Put a minus sign next to the ones you can do but don't enjoy that much
        • Put a plus sign next to those you are good at AND like.
        Re-order the list with all of the minus skills at the bottom. Search for jobs with the plus skills in the description.

For example you say:

" I get to problem solve, am not strictly bound to a checklist or timeline usually and hopefully effectively lead people to do the same."

Uh... those are valuable skills. For example, you could likely project manage in various industries. Yeah there are certifications that might help, but someone who can creatively solve issues as they arise is valuable. I mean, if you know construction, how about a project manager in a custom or commercial building outfit?
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 25, 2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          Club Member
          • Nov 2017
          • Virginia
          • SNS Kamado
            Weber Summit S-670
            Camp Chef FTG 600
            Camp Chef Escape

Old Hickory Knives
            More Cast Iron than I care to admit

I do not have any real leads or suggestions that come to my mind but I am very interested in this thread. Will do what I can to help.

Comment

• Greygoose
            Club Member
            • May 2019
            • South Shore,MA

With your road / pavement background and experience checking in with the NC DOT and see what is available in the materials/ inspection depts.
            you could expand on your present experience and possibly get into a non office, non overly physical position.
            I am 69 yo and spent 90% of my working life in earth moving/ utility, and road building,,,,
            I know what you mean about the physical part,,,LOL

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              a couple backup plans I have are working at one of the batch plants, or hopping on with DOT. Neither of which would be terrible to sink another 20+ years into. Though I'm kinda hoping science can just build you a new body by the time I'm 70
          • klflowers
            Club Member
            • Sep 2015
            • Tennessee

Take a look at Duke Energy. They have a variety of positions that may work out for you, and they have a huge workforce. I do design engineering for their substations, and they always have a bunch of construction managers; they also have a lot of contractors doing work for them. And they are state wide.

Comment

• latenight71
              latenight71 commented
              Editing a comment
              My brother-in-law worked maintenance at a local University for years and loved it. School districts, hospitals, and city and county facilities may also provide good gigs.
              Or, with your construction experience could you become a licensed building inspector? Also, the real estate market uses home inspectors regularly prior to home sales. I hired a guy when we bought our home and I think we paid him over $500 and he was at the house no more than an hour.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              Duke has quite a few jobs here and they are one of the companies I am considering doing the internship with. Though latenight71 may be on to something, one thing I've learned from my wife's journey into realty is that there's a lot of people that make guaranteed money for every potential sale, and the 2 people who do the most work are the only 2 not guaranteed a paycheck until a sale is final Maybe I go to school and sub out to her, not a terrible idea.
          • latenight71
            Club Member
            • Feb 2021
            • Long Beach, CA

or maybe a concrete inspector at job sites?

https://study.com/articles/How_to_Be...ry%20standards.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              I can do that, I do enjoy concrete work and it's one of my options, but I'm looking to use the 6 month program to explore other things that aren't related to my current job.
          • latenight71
            Club Member
            • Feb 2021
            • Long Beach, CA

Well, here are a some sites you might explore if you haven't already. Innovation is such a funny word to me. it's one of the buzz words the marketing and sales guys would use at every meeting. we lowly editors used to use it as a drinking game opportunity and take a drink every time we'd hear their key words.

https://oshr.nc.gov/work-for-nc/veterans

https://oshr.nc.gov/internships-stat...nment-agencies

https://veterans.ncworks.gov/vosnet/Default.aspx

https://it.nc.gov/programs/innovation-center

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              yeah I have most of the resources though I didn't have the OSHR ones. I'm just trying to build a list of things I want to try and maybe even enjoy while still collecting a paycheck for 6 months, it's a pretty good program. As to innovation, yeah, it's used in so many non-innovative things. If the folks on the ground are just complaining about something, and hiring a guy to take their process complaints and solution to the boss, and that fixes it... that's not innovation, that's bad management.
          • willxfmr
            Club Member
            • Apr 2017
            • Fondy

If you're worried about your skill sets, talk to a local Tech School about what kind of certification programs they offer for maintenance type positions. If it's anything like it is here in Wisconsin, employers are desperate for skilled help, and the Techs have a variety of programs geared to giving people the bare minimum skills to get hired. Also don't be shy about applying for supervisor type positions. Where I work, they have hired supervisors with no manufacturing or maintenance experience simply because of their military background.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
            The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
            The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
            The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
            The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
            The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
            We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
            Stylish and Affordable
            Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
            Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
            A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
            Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
            GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
            The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
            This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
            A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
            FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
            Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
            Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order