Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How hardcore of a griller/smoker are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: How hardcore of a griller/smoker are you?

I put my grill/smoker away when the leaves fall. See ya in the spring.
    0%
    I cook outside in cooler weather, but not bad weather.
    9.26%
    I cook outside on nice winter days even if I have to shovel a path, but never in the rain
    13.89%
    I'm like the mailman, baby! Rain snow sleet or hail, nothing will stop me from firing it up!
    76.85%

I'm definitely hard core. Luckily nowadays I have a covered deck so I don't have to prove it as much as I used to!

Comment

• Ozric
      Ozric commented
      Editing a comment
      The only thing that stops me is wind (it gets kinda windy up here at 7,000 ft). It's worst in the spring when everyone else around the country is Qing their huevos off! Tough to keep a good even temp in 30-40 mph winds with 40-50 mph gusts.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
    I'm definitely hard core. Luckily nowadays I have a covered deck so I don't have to prove it as much as I used to!
    Same here. Minus the covered deck. I need to get me one of those.

Comment

I actually like slow cooking in the winter...it's easier to control the temps. I grilled this past winter in Chicago on basically every day that it wasn't too cold to stand outside for 5 minutes.

Comment

Living in Florida, weather is rarely an issue. If it rains, I pull my Weber under my porch overhang.

Comment

If I'm going to go to the trouble of buying, prepping and smoking something, it's invariably for guests. Since they'll show up, rain or shine, weather isn't going to be a factor. Since I move around as an RVer, some places are more conducive to barbecue. We winter in AZ, summer in OR or WA, and spend the shoulder seasons in CA. Really cold, nasty weather is a rarity for us. Too much heat is more likely to be the issue. Now that I'm using a temperature controller on the WSM, even that isn't much of a problem.

Comment

Now that I have Cyber Q intake control for my Weber Smokey Mountain I go all year. The ability to not have to go fiddle with my vents in the pouring rain in Oregon is fantastic. Although my wife seems to think that ribs aren't a good winter time party food....

Comment

As a resident of England, it's mostly rain over here so we don't have any choice, but BBQ in all weather!

Comment

In major rain or snow, I'll move my GOSM to the front of the garage (with the door open) since I don't have another covered space for it yet. And I wrap a welding blanket around the sides (leaving the side vents unblocked) to keep the temperature up. My girlfriend and her daughter are always begging for something smoked, so who can say no

Comment

I've failed on a butt at -30F in Alaska (ended up just being a deliciously fatty piece of pork cause at hour 15 I pulled it at 170), and succeeded on a butt at -15 in New York. Conquest! There's never a bad time to smoke!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Jobo View Post
                    I've failed on a butt at -30F in Alaska (ended up just being a deliciously fatty piece of pork cause at hour 15 I pulled it at 170), and succeeded on a butt at -15 in New York. Conquest! There's never a bad time to smoke!
                    That's dedication man, -30. I've had mine going in the -5 to -10 range but we typically don't see much more than -teens in MI. This past winter I have a photo of the thermometer reading -19, it was a cold long winter.

Comment

The results here please me. You're doign well, Grasshoppers

Comment

My vote has to be qualified with the fact that it doesn't really get *that* cold in DFW and the outdoor kitchen is set up on a giant covered porch. But even if it weren't, my answer would not change.

Comment

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Gotta love DFW weather.
                          It's more uncomfortable for outdoor cooking in summer than winter.

There is no grilling off season. These pics are from at least 5 years ago when I lived in New Jersey.

Before: Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2411

After: Click image for larger version

Name:	20665_108614375818185_151394_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2409

Comment

This winter we DEFINITELY need to start a Wintertime Grilling/Smoking picture Channel! This is great. the problem is I cannot get my wife outside to take a picture of me in the snow, so I'll have to do selfies.

Comment

• boftx
                            boftx commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can get her to do the cooking and take a picture of her instead? After all, with a stick-burner it can't be that cold.

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The community would probably much rather see her than my ugly mug. Might be onto something there.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis