Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stall temperatures at higher altitudes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stall temperatures at higher altitudes

I live in Ft. Collins Colorado at ~5000 feet above sea level and have just recently started smoking meat again. While smoking a brisket flat I blew threw the 150 degree stall point, but when I hit 170 it stalled out. Is this something common at higher altitudes?

I wouldn't think so. It was probably just that particular brisket you cooked. Some stall at different temps. Your thermo may have been in a warmer spot as well. That would be my best guess. My Briskets usually stall at about 165F to 170 F here is Minnesota. The higher altitude would pertain to the amount of oxygen to the fire itself, not the meat. Water boils at about 205 F at a mile high. So if anything, I think the stall may come earlier. But again I think it was just that particular flat or your probe placement.

Comment

• Eggman
      Eggman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment. My thinking was directly related to the oxygen/fire issue, as I was told by the gent at A-maz-n that my fire needs to be about 25 degrees hotter than recipes suggest due specifically to the altitude. I'm running at about 245-250 (using an WSM with Maverick ET-733), and using a probe in the brisket and in the grommet of the WSM for ambient internal temp. I think my probes are fine, just always hit stall at around 150 when I smoked meat in Texas. Good news: just broke through, now at almost 180.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear!!! Thats the thing about BBQ my friend, there are always variables that keep you guessing! Good luck with the rest of the cook. Eggman

• Eggman
      Eggman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, without the variability life would be much less enjoyable. Keeps me on my toes and always learning something new.

This is an interesting question! We should ask this question with a couple more bits of info...
    1. dr Blonder says: "The stall is evaporative cooling." http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html
    2. generally a higher attitude is also a dryer climate

Lets try to answer the question with these things in mind... just an idea.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point smarkley. Thats why I was thinking about the boiling point at a higher altitude. So i would think that it would evaporate faster than at sea level, given the lower atmospheric pressure in CO.

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in a dry climate at 2600+ ft... my stalls are around 170 and do not last long at all... I was thinking that it is because of the drier climate evaporates faster.

I don't know... Maybe we can get Dr Blonder to weigh in on it
      Last edited by smarkley; July 19, 2015, 07:13 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis