Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokey Mountain leaking something awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Smokey Mountain leaking something awful

I'm burning in my new 22" Smokey Mountain and it's leaking smoke not only from around the door (which I expected given what I've read here) but around the bottom of dome lid (between it and the mid-section). My hope is that the carbon will build up and seal it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this issue.

Many thanks!

Eggman

Oh, yea. BTDT

It will still work fine, but you may want to get a gasket for it and get a better seal to give you better temp control.

Comment

Go to www.bbqgaskets.com
      Last edited by DWCowles; July 17, 2015, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into gaskets.

Comment

Eggman did you watch the Harry Soo seminar on the WSM?

Comment

• Eggman
            Eggman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, David. No, I haven't watched the seminar video but I will now. Thank you for letting me know about it.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a TON of great info in that seminar for WSM owners. It's a must see

Hey guys,
          So my BBQ infection is spreading. I now have one of my good friends hooked on BBQ and we picked up his first cooker the other day. He was deciding between the WSM and the PBC. We went with the WSM because he wanted it now!! I've got a few questions for you guys as I don't own a WSM. (although after doing a dry run with him, I might) I want to make it as easy as possible for him to transition into making some great BBQ. I have, of course, told him about the Pit. I also ordered him a new stainless access door with the full WSM gasket kit. I've also got his first Mav-733 on order. I set him up with a thermo pop instant read as well.
          So my questions are: When putting the gaskets on the different sections; the middle section fits inside the base. So do I put the gasket on the flat surface of the flange of the bottom section? Or do I put the gasket on the vertical edge of the flange? And for the top of the middle section, do I do the same? Seeing how the lid fits inside the top section of the middle. (this is getting a bit confusing)

As for the door replacement: do I just put the gasket on the WSM or do I put the gasket on the door and the WSM? Or just he door?

We did a dry run yesterday and that thing held at 230 F like a dream. So easy to use. I am considering buying one of these suckers. Great Cooker.

Any tips will be helpful!!

-Spinaker

Comment

Mine leaks and cooks just fine, don't stress over it.

Comment

Darn, I ve already got the gaskets on the way. oh well, I'll just put them on it can't hurt.

Comment

Ernest is right on. Personally, I put gaskets on mine simply because the leaking bothered me.

The bottom section fits very well on the charcoal bowl. I have never had a leak at the bottom. I would skip the gasket on the charcoal bowl.

You've probably seen this picture already, but the attached link will give you an idea of how to apply the gaskets. Like I said, I would skip the charcoal bowl.

And if you're looking to make it as easy as possible for your buddy, then I highly recommend a BBQ DigiQ DX2 with the WSM adapter. https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?Cat...1&ProductId=22

Good luck!
                Amazon.com : WSM Gasket Kit, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 22.5 Nomex RTV grill gasket seal : Weber Smokey Mountain Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Comment

I put gaskets on the top of the middle section of my 18.5 and around the Cajun Bandit door. Middle fits pretty snugly down into bottom section and does not require a gasket there. If you are getting a lot of smoke from the bottom, check to see if your middle section is out of round. Try rotating it in the bottom section to see if it seals better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis